📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

And post if you feel like it :high_touch:

I was also hoping that someone would post in this week’s thread before it’s too late, so that I would be motivated to (re)read that part, but I guess you won’t make it in time :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Happy birthday @Beyond_Sleepy and @Daisoujou !

Also @Daisoujou I’m glad you can fix the noise issue in Audacity, although 60 times is…oof. FWIW I asked my partner last night to listen to a clip and he looked at me like I was nuts when I said I could barely hear it. I guess it’s at a frequency that’s difficult for me to pick up? I have to really listen for it.

Also, midday today I had a brain wave for whodunnit in 三毛猫ホームズ but it’s a spoiler if you haven’t finished chapter 3 yet:

三田村!He wasn’t saying「犯人は見た」he was saying 「犯人は三田村」!

14 Likes

home
Today was another special day

Read the preview for 失われた過去と未来の犯罪 for the same reason as last time
Was certainly extremely interesting

26 Likes

Ooh happy birthday! Exciting!

7 Likes

Summary Post

April 13
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Did another mission today, not a lot of new vocabulary.

Also happy birthday you two! @Beyond_Sleepy & @Daisoujou :tada:

24 Likes

Summary Post

Day 13: April 13th
What did I read?: ふしぎ駄菓子屋銭天堂 Vol 2
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 22 min

A small read today not quite a tiny read, just small lol
Today’s chapter is music-themed, so it took me half a page to realize that the kid’s name is Hibiki am I dumb

This kid is basically young me with piano lessons though lol, he wants to be good at piano but also doesn’t want to go to his lessons. できれば、レッスンぬきでじょうずになりたいんだよなあ - I feel that xD

I learned a great word today: 粗大ごみ (そだいごみ) - in this case, I think it was meant to mean large-size refuse (e.g. furniture, electrical goods); oversized garbage; bulky rubbish, but it can also mean useless man about the house; husband who is retired and considered a nuisance​ (pfft)

Some musical words~
  • 鍵盤 (けんばん) - keyboard (piano, computer, etc.)
  • 聞き手 (ききて) - hearer; listener; audience​
  • 心のこり (こころのこり​) - regret
  • すごうで - virtuoso
  • 五線譜 (ごせんふ) - staff notation​

Happy birthday @Daisoujou and @Beyond_Sleepy! :tada::birthday::partying_face:

28 Likes

It’s available in my region, too. :grin: It’s the one called Old Enough! in English, right?

Happy birthday and many returns of the day! @Beyond_Sleepy @Daisoujou

14 Likes

April 13
Today I had to focus on cooking / prepping for Passover this Friday and Saturday night, so I didn’t have much time to read.

However, I did pick up the first volume of Spy x Family for free on the Jump Book Store, so I read about 20 pages of that at midnight at the start of the day lol. It’s free to read online until April 24, so act fast.

No graded reader progress but that’s okay.

Progress on Tadoku graded readers
44 / 44 level-zeros
12 / 12 level-ones
x /10 level-twos
x / 18 level-threes

edit: And happy birthdays for @Beyond_Sleepy and @Daisoujou :birthday: :partying_face:

30 Likes

April 13th (Calendar Post)

There was a nice moment today where I managed to read a good part of a page without looking anything up or getting confused halfway through a sentence and having to re-read it three+ times. Now if only that happened more often… sigh

三日間の幸福 => 9 pages (116 minutes)

30 Likes

Home

I read 5 pages of 2.43, leaving off at a good stopping point for once right before a scene change, and putting me a little way down pg 60.

Obligatory rambling

Ah, okay, it was after he’s sat down that he scolds Kouhei about them not being able afford to get any weaker.

「ったく、弱なっていいわけないやろが。うちの目標はなんや?」
「すいません……越智先輩で我慢します」
「あぁ?」ドスをきかせると戸倉がまた凍りつき「嘘ですっ。越智先輩がいいっす。最高っす」

I think now I may finally be able to remember what ドス means, as I could perfectly picture the scene from the anime while reading this, with Ochi leaning in close all threatening-like, like, “Ah? What was that? I thought so.” (Although, I may end up remembering it as a threatening look, rather than a threatening quality…)

「どうせおれは花ないわ」

Aw, Ochi, you’re very pretty (just not like a girl).

Ochi’s not used to receiving praise. First Hata-kantoku complimenting his handwriting, and now his teammates listing all the ways they appreciate him as their manager. He doesn’t seem to quite know what to do with himself. Earlier, when Hata was praising him, Ochi wondered if he (Hata) was dying, and now he wonders if he himself is dying. Oh, Ochi :broken_heart: (Now I wanna give him a hug, too.)

So in first season we got Chika thinking that Yuni’s like a border collie, and now we’ve got Ochi thinking Kouhei’s like a labrador retriever.

Oh, I’m so happy Ochi loving spicy foods has shown up here. While kinda sighing over Subaru drinking a 500 mL box of strawberry milk after lunch, he puts enough shichimi tougarashi on the abura’age from his kitsune udon to dye it completely red lmao. Well no wonder he seemed completely unfazed when he had, distracted, accidentally turned the snowy mountain of grated daikon on his oroshisoba into an ominous volcano in that one side story (set during first year shortly after he’d made the switch to manager. In that one, he thinks, Strawberry milk with lunch? Do those even go together? Now he’s resigned to Subaru’s love of all things strawberry and/or sweet) if that’s how much shichimi he uses normally lol

Title drop! Of a sort. This subchapter is entitled ONE AND ONLY POSITION, and in the last line of this first section of it, we get the phrase “唯一無二のポジション.”

I listened to the 12 chapters of 壁の穴 I’d already read while putting away the dishes today, and then I read ch 13-20.

Some vocab of note:

知る者は言わず言う者は知らず (しるものはいわずいうものはしらず) [proverb] those who know do not speak, those who speak do not know. I came across this one today because, while trying to type 汁物 (soup), my IME gave me this beast lol
黄色い (きいろい) [adjective] (of a voice) high-pitched; shrill
双璧 (そうへき) [noun] (two) matchless things; (two) matchless people. Its original meaning was “a pair of bright jewels.” And this is how I learn that 璧 means sphere, so 完璧 is a complete sphere, or, “perfect.”
唯一無二 (ゆいいつむに) [四字熟語, noun, な-adjective] one and only; unique.
丼勘定 (どんぶりかんじょう) [noun] rough estimate; sloppy accounting; slapdash bookkeeping. This one was in a GRANRODEO song lol (帰結する共犯者)

29 Likes

April 13 :cherry_blossom: Home Post

Well VLR decided to absolutely put me through it today, in ways completely unrelated to language :joy: I only played like two or three hours total and I finished two real endings, so that was a lot to process. I’ve done 4/9 (go figure) now so it’s all getting super real, my poor feelings lmao

VLR... what

Sooo I finished 四葉(よつば) and K’s endings and um… wow? Really just stunned still, there was so much :joy: For 四葉(よつば): I finally got to actually hear about what she’s up to, and it’s not anything particularly shocking necessarily but it’s still nice to know, and the terrorist group they were going after seems like it’s probably ディオ’s clone nonsense? Which in retrospect probably should’ve been obvious but :man_shrugging: And that’s where radical 6 came from maybe? It was also cool hearing about some of the other people from 999! 淳平(じゅんぺい)'s MIA looking for (あかね) huh… interesting :eyes: But yeah then the body count got real bad suddenly, I was not ready, and then シグマ just… it ended real abruptly, I was not prepared oh man

And because that wasn’t enough, K’s ending… oh man K’s ending, where do I even begin lmao. The suit was unlocked!! He really just shed his whole suit as a dummy so he could go do a murder! Wild :joy: But then who smashed ディオ’s bangle :eyes: But whatever that doesn’t even matter, the woman was the one K talked about! In his backstory a billion years ago!! Man I never even considered that, really sets K up to have a bad time from the beginning (except maybe in the realities where they don’t find her?). But… then we took off K’s helmet and um… huh. I really don’t know what to do with that :joy: Like yeah something was always off about シグマ, you never see him except for flashbacks, even when there’s group shots from whatever that weird angle is. And he’s not voiced which might actually be intentional, huh. But like still… what does this mean :joy: who am I?? Is it another (あかね) situation? We did start talking about morphogenesis again so god knows what’s to come lmao

Oh boy yeah today was a day :joy: Good reading-wise though! Reading VLR’s felt really nice lately :blush: growth!

Happy birthday!!! :tada: :tada: :tada: Glad the Satori Reader adventures are going well!

Uh-oh :joy: That sounds like dangerous language territory, 頑張れ蒼界の覇者 :raised_hands:

That’s wholesome and also super cool! Getting to where you can genuinely enjoy something for the content itself is totally game-changing for language learning :grin:

happy tiny birthday!! :tada:

35 Likes

Home post

Day 12:

日本語: I read a fair amount of ミニスカ宇宙海賊 and some of 鋼の錬金術師.

中国語: I read an intermediate entry on Mandarin Bean, one page of 骑士幻想夜, and a bit of 孩子最爱读的中国民间故事.

30 Likes

First of all, (belated, I guess?) Happy Birthday to @Beyond_Sleepy and @Daisoujou! Birthday in April is nice, hehe (mine is on Saturday, so we have kind of an April Birthday team here, it seems :laughing:)

For my reading, I have returned to 大聖堂 and it’s currently a bit more difficult than before, so it takes some time. My Japanese friend is also struggling with the English text quite a bit, so we had a chat the other day to set things straight. It is sooo hard to explain an English text in Japanese :sweat_smile: especially when it’s not clear to me initially where the misunderstandings lie exactly. But I’m also getting better at pinpointing them.

Funniest thing was that he struggled with this bit of direct speech:
„It is clear, is it not, that…“
Now the fun part is that in Japanese I usually struggle a lot with these casually inserted negations that don’t indicate negation but rather emphasis, confirmation or other things. And now he was struggling with the same thing in English! That somehow put my mind at ease. Yes, language learning is hard! And we can all be proud of what we achieved, even if it feels like a tiny drop in the vast ocean of Japanese knowledge.

ok I better stop now before it gets too bad😁

33 Likes

Happy birthday! Hope you had/have (time zones confuse me) a great day! :birthday:

Must…resist…clicking…spoilers. Or, you know, spending all of my day reading. The struggle is real. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I love that! The April Birthday Reading Crew? Mine’s on Tuesday, so another one for the team :sunglasses:

A very happy birthday to you, too! :confetti_ball:

That’s the one! I’m in Europe but looks like it’s available in America as well. I know this because I went on twitter and saw some very heated discussions about the show lol. I wish there were more episodes! I’m already halfway through the season.

10 Likes

Happy belated birthday :partying_face: :birthday: :tada:

Happy belated birthday too you too :partying_face: :birthday: :tada:

Hey April Birthday Reading Crew! I want to join in. My birthday was/is on April 12th

14 Likes

So I have a grammar question, and I know I probably should ask in the grammar thread, but since this thread is full of readers, and there’s a small group even reading the same book as me, I thought I’d ask here first. I keep coming across ときて/ときた. I can sort of deduce its meaning, but I haven’t been able to find any specific reference in a dictionary or grammar resource. In JLPTsensei it’s listed as N1 grammar meaning “because”, but this doesn’t fit with my sentences.

Example sentences from 三毛猫, not really spoilers in isolation:
  • 深夜の実験室、ボコボコと音を立てているフラスコ、ときてはなおさらである。
  • しかもそのほとんどが無駄骨ときていますからね。
  • 女マッサージ師の次は女占い師、予言者ときた
    (bonus question: Is 女 pronounced おんな when used as a prefix like this?)
11 Likes

:tulip: Day 13 :tulip: :house:
Read: ジャックジャンヌー夏劇ー
Finished: 24 pages (story 1: just one life)
Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Finished the first (and longest I think it was like 70 pages) short story in the ジャックジャンヌ novel. Next one’s is Suzu’s story 涙かんざし, which is quite a bit shorter at 39 pages, so hopefully that one will be a bit easier to get through. I like that this book is broken up into short stories because when I read I always tend to read until the conclusion, but I don’t have the endurance or reading speed to do that in Japanese yet so its nice to have a bunch of little endings in one book.

Reading Thoughts

Came across the sentences 「努力を続けていれば、いつか同期に近づけるのだろうか。間に合うのだろうか、ユニヴェール歌劇学校生という短い時間の中で。あの華に、才能に、持たざる者が、持てる者に。」and it took me a while to figure out what was going on, I’ve never seen so many particles with nothing following them at once.
Storywise, I liked by how the end of the story Kai was able to change his way of thinking in a little bit of a more hopeful direction. It was interesting to see that this is the point of the story where he really started thinking about this before it became a much bigger issue during the winter play in the game.

New Vocab

さらなる even more; still more; further
かたや on the one hand … (and on the other …); on one side
さながら just like
はたまた or​
豪快 (ごうかい)hearty; tremendous; magnificent; glorious; splendid; heroic; stirring
独擅場 (どくせんじょう)field in which one acts unchallenged; unrivaled sphere of activity (unrivalled); one’s monopoly
灼く (やく)to tan (i.e. suntan); to burn​
肩幅 (かたはば)shoulder width (breadth)
全うする (まっとうする)to accomplish; to fulfill; to carry out
舞踊 (ぶよう)dancing; dance
立ち居振る舞い (たちいふるまい)movements; behavior; behaviour; bearing; deportment; manners; demeanor (heard this one but never seen the kanji)
帯びる (おびる)to have a trace of; to be tinged with
殻を破る (からをやぶる)to break up and start anew; to break out of one’s shell; to make a fresh start; to go outside oneself​
爽快 (そうかい)refreshing; exhilarating; invigorating; bracing
息づく to live​
見出す (みいだす)to find out; to discover; to notice; to detect
精悍 (せいかん)virile; tough; masculine; intense

and a happy birthday to @Beyond_Sleepy and @Daisoujou! :birthday: :tada:

and a happy late birthday to @Magillou too! :tada: :partying_face:

25 Likes

㋃13 – Day 13

• ジョジョの奇妙な冒険

I read 8-15 yesterday and I was going to go back and reread since I didn’t know a lot of the vocab and kanji used, but I think I’ll ultimately skip. It’s all stuff related to Jack the Ripper, so I don’t think I’m missing out on too much.

24 Likes

So I did some googling and it seems like it’s one of those expressions that’s hard to give an exact meaning for in English (because of course :joy:)

But yeah basically it’s と + ()る, where と is like quoting and capturing the essence of whatever it’s attached to as it likes to do. Meaning-wise, it seems to mostly be a form of emphasis: 来る(くる)とは? 意味・読み方・使い方をわかりやすく解説 - goo国語辞書

As far as differences in nuance between specific different forms of it, I think it’s another one you get a sense for with time. If you’re reading stuff that uses it at least, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen this before :joy: But yeah it seems to be mostly different from (though possibly related?) ときている, so that might help clear it up!

(Also yes I would think so? I think おんな is the typical way to go for that, though I’m sure people change it up sometimes for one reason or another :man_shrugging:)

14 Likes