📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

Edit: Hah, I posted the kanji image from last time instead of today’s, oops.

Many replies

Hey that’s really good! I do really like the heavier ends of metal – death, doom, all that sorta stuff. Death metal vocals being what they are though, I don’t know if I’d even be able identify this as Japanese hahaha. Gonna listen to this band more some day for sure.

Yeah I feel that! I played a lot of the first game but still quit on case 5 cause I was finding it too much. There’s a lot of upfront court and death vocab to learn, plus the game goes slightly hard on role language and other goofy character quirks in speech. No harm at all in pushing it back for now; it’ll make a nice goal to look towards now.

Yes! Unfortunately it showed up right about when my Netflix sub was going to lapse (and I’m leaving it that way for now) so I only watched 6 or so episodes, but that show was adorable.

Not much to add, but so happy for you; I love to hear it.

Yeah about that, just look down in this post… :melting_face:

@pocketcat So I discovered late last night that I can use Audacity to straight up edit the audio files, find the offending frequency, and squash it. Not super excited to do that 60 times over, but I am glad I’ve got a solution that totally solves it.

Summary post

Well, this route continues to be unexpectedly hard. You never can predict where it’s going to go. I feel less bad about it today… honestly less bad in general at least at this exact moment so I wonder how much my more frustrated days come in part from a degree of depression (hey that’s sure a thing post-covid), but I’m gonna veer off that topic for now heh. I knew I’d have less time to read today so I’m not too concerned about the 2700 characters read. Might slip in more later, might not, whatever. I’m just happy to hang in for the moment.

Because let me tell you, it’s rough. Part of this route has been about going overly 中二病 . Within the plot the characters are aware and reference it being exactly that, but they’re sort of reminiscing or otherwise referencing how they acted when they were a little younger. So you get lines like this:

天の頂に座す王よ、蒼界の覇者よ、我が名と呼び声に応え、今叫べ…

Soon after that the character started shooting magic beams and summoning people or something in gibberish katakana and… well, here I am on the other side of it! Happy about that part haha.

But then we arrive at conversations like this. It’s a little “wow what a block of kanji” but also even if I kinda know the characters involved and could intuit some meaning like we talked about last thread… there are just so many words there I have to do that for (the first is the island name though). And it’s fine, again, today’s a relatively good mental day so, genuinely, whatever. But I gotta air out my struggles just to feel heard as I wrestle with this, haha.

There’s nothing that truly excites me on the new word front, though I do find it cool that 火に油を注ぐ (ひにあぶらをそそぐ) exists as a phrase. Adding fuel to the fire, making things worse, it’s very directly comparable to English in that way.

33 Likes

Happy birthday! :confetti_ball: That sounds like a wonderful gift!

11 Likes

A bit of a busy day today, but I did manage to read five and a half pages for Week 2: 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん 👵🏼. The first confrontation with the grandmother’s accent! :smile:

26 Likes

Day 13 :heavy_check_mark: :cat2:

三毛猫ホームズの推理 ~50% to 56%, halfway through 3.1

So far I haven’t found this section as tedious as others have said, although the unknown vocabulary did increase noticeably! The お見合い was interesting to me from a cultural viewpoint if nothing else. It was mildly funny too, and I still hold out hope that it may somehow turn out to be significant (and not just as the trigger that gets Yukiko and Katayama together. I wouldn’t welcome such a development, I need my detectives awkward and miserable, not happily in love.)

Fun katakana words again in this section! It took me a a second or two to decipher ドラキュラ. :rofl:

Fun vocab

十中八九 - in 8 or 9 cases out of 10, in all probability
手を回す - to use one’s influence, to pull strings
宇宙遊泳 - spacewalk
妙な話だが - strangely enough
似ても似つかない - not bearing the slightest resemblance, quite unlike
目に触れる - to catch the eye, to attract attention
歯の浮くような - something that sets your teeth on edge
足を棒にして - to walk/stand/etc until one’s legs stiffen
(が)服を着る - to wear clothes of course, but also to be the personification of
気が乗る - to come around to do, to take an interest
羽目を外す - to cut loose, to act without restraint
ラフ - rough, but also casual clothing

28 Likes

Happy birthday! Such a cool gift! :birthday: :tada:

11 Likes

april 13 :cherry_blossom: home post

I finally finished コナの大冒険 on Satori Reader!! And I started on ジャム屋さん even though I told myself I wouldn’t start any Satori stories that wouldn’t be completely published by the time my sub’s up

(sorry I didn’t respond until now) A reading ruler is a good idea! I don’t have one but I assume a piece of paper would work fine, I’ll have to try it next time I read 夜カフェ

30 Likes

I just finished the last book in the Level 0 Graded Readers, Set 1. It’s about a policeman who helps an old lady carry her packages from store to store, and then to her home. They go up, down, left, and right. When he helps her home and gets ready to go back to the station, he realizes he is totally lost!

Tomorrow I start Set 2. I’m excited about that.

30 Likes

Day 12-13 / Calendar
Another simultaneous update because of the lack of time.

On day 12 I had a solid 3 hours of free time between classes. I’ve started reading, got about a page in… then I promptly fell asleep on top of the desk I was reading on. Sleep at night kids or this will happen to you too.

On day 13 however I got quite a few pages of 夜カフェ read. It didn’t feel like a slob for once, as the vocabulary itself was quite simple, even if a bit slangish.

29 Likes

Nice! Definitely check them out when you get the chance!

And yeh :rofl: I struggle enough trying to keep up with lyrics even when it’s super clean singing.

@Beyond_Sleepy, happy birthday!! Sounds like you’ve had a great day! :birthday:

13 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

April 13th :cherry_blossom:

・薬屋のひとりごと (22% → 23%)

Whoops, that must have been my tiniest read so far this challenge. Chapter ten was longer than expected and now I must prioritize sleep. Note to self: read the book club threads.

32 Likes

April 13th

Chapter 50 of Yotsuba today! As always, it was very cute and funny. I loved the way she was sounding things out while reading the menu.

My daughter was sat near me while I was reading today, and when I laughed at something she said “It’s really cool that you can read well enough to actually enjoy it now.”
And I had a little realisation of the fact that that IS really cool! Yotsuba definitely feels a lot more like reading for fun than studying now, and thats a really cool thing.

(Home Post)

@Beyond_Sleepy
お誕生日おめでとうございます! :birthday:
I hope you’ve had a lovely day :slight_smile:

29 Likes

Day 12 and 13✨

These are the days where if we weren’t in a challenge I probably wouldn’t have read at all… BUT I DID!

It’s only 5 pages of 透明カメレオン total between two days. But it’s been full of a lot of difficult words and grammar for me to understand :sweat_smile:

:cherry_blossom::house_with_garden: My Home Post :house_with_garden::cherry_blossom:

@Beyond_Sleepy Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy Satori Reader and your day :partying_face::sparkles:

29 Likes

Yo somehow I missed this post despite being the most recent one before making mine, but happy birthday! And that’s awesome that you have Satori Reader; I think it’ll help a bunch, like it did for me.

I was going to skip mentioning the exact day of mine, but now that I see this coincidence… hey, same birthday :open_mouth:

21 Likes

Happy birthday Daisoujou :birthday::tada::grin:

10 Likes

Happy Birthday! :tada: I also used Satori for a while and agree that it’s really useful :slight_smile:

and happy birthday to you too! :partying_face:

10 Likes

And post if you feel like it :high_touch:

I was also hoping that someone would post in this week’s thread before it’s too late, so that I would be motivated to (re)read that part, but I guess you won’t make it in time :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Happy birthday @Beyond_Sleepy and @Daisoujou !

Also @Daisoujou I’m glad you can fix the noise issue in Audacity, although 60 times is…oof. FWIW I asked my partner last night to listen to a clip and he looked at me like I was nuts when I said I could barely hear it. I guess it’s at a frequency that’s difficult for me to pick up? I have to really listen for it.

Also, midday today I had a brain wave for whodunnit in 三毛猫ホームズ but it’s a spoiler if you haven’t finished chapter 3 yet:

三田村!He wasn’t saying「犯人は見た」he was saying 「犯人は三田村」!

14 Likes

home
Today was another special day

Read the preview for 失われた過去と未来の犯罪 for the same reason as last time
Was certainly extremely interesting

26 Likes

Ooh happy birthday! Exciting!

7 Likes

Summary Post

April 13
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Did another mission today, not a lot of new vocabulary.

Also happy birthday you two! @Beyond_Sleepy & @Daisoujou :tada:

24 Likes