📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

Day 10

なぜ?どうして?かがくのお話1年生: 25% → 31%

Read a story about 野口のぐち英世ひでよ, a Japanese bacteriologist who discovered the agent of syphilis. I found it charming how the story mostly talked about his motivation to help others by becoming a doctor, because of the surgeon who helped him restore his badly burned hand.

27 Likes

Read chapter 7 of 夜カフェ today, and since I calculated that I’ll almost definitely finish it in less than two weeks, I went ahead and ordered the next one. I don’t know if I’ll want to keep reading immediately, but I want to be prepared just in case!

Also, last night I picked up それでも歩は寄せてくる again. There was an 運動会 that I was avoiding reading (because the language suddenly became much more difficult for me), but I got through it, and remembered again how cute and sweet and fun this manga is.

replies

Ooh, I’m glad to hear that!

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Thanks for the review of this book! It makes me definitely want to read it. You also sent me on a browsing spree through aoitori, and now I’m not sure what to order next because there are just so many options! Werewolves …? Fairies …? Fox girls who hang out at the library …? Cinderella and the mean butler …? :rofl: And the list goes on.

33 Likes

The first complete week is down: Homepost 10/61

Was a bit more lazy than I wanted this weekend but whatever. Still read every day.
What I did the last week:

• Week 3 for Yoru Cafe BBC
  • Week 5+6 for Happiness ABBC
  • Week 1 for Saga IBC
  • Around half a volume of Slam Dunk (6¹/₂/20 volumes down)
  • 6 Nhk Easy articles
  • Some cross reading from the Freebees thread to see if theres something interesting I would like to add ( それは霊の仕業です seemed fun&ecchi)
  • Started Chapter 8 of Tobira (this is where I didn’t do as much as I would have liked)

Next week I want to basically continue exactly the same. Especially Week 2 for Saga IBC is next on my agenda. With easter coming up I’ll see how much time I can actually dedicate to other reading material since I’m going to visit my family over the weekend.

See you next week for an update then :smiley:

29 Likes

:seedling::sunflower::seedling:
\huge\color{ #A3E4D7}\mathrm{🌻Day 10🌻}
:seedling::sunflower::seedling:

\small \color{ #A3E4D7}\mathrm{★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★}

Today I translated 11 pages of よつばと!Otherwise I had a very lazy day today :upside_down_face:

\small \color{ #A3E4D7}\mathrm{★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★}

Tooltip

The flowers above the “Day #” links to my post for the previous day, and the flowers below link to the next day, except for the latest day ofc, they link somewhere special :wink:

32 Likes

Finished 3rd day in a row! Finished よつばと! chapter 8. There’s still a lot of stuff that I dont understand, but I guess that comes with time. Even though I feel like I only get around 50%, it is still very enjoyable and I’m looking forward to finish chapter 9 tomorrow.

32 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

April 10th :seedling:

・薬屋のひとりごと (14% → 17%)

Finished chapter seven. I really like the sizes of these chapters. Not too long for a tiny read. Still requires a bit effort with all the lookups, though.

Thoughts: We learn that Maomao is a mad scientist! In the pursuit of knowledge about medicinal plants she used herself as test subject - by hurting herself and then applying stuff on the wounds. She also seems to be very bored with her new job, not much for her to do. Even I’d be bored if I were her. Also randomly had to attend a meeting between Gyokuyou and Jinshi, talking about uncomfortable stuff. I hope Maomao gets something more interesting to do.

Word of the day: 顔
for having the archaic reading かんばせ in the furigana

30 Likes

Also enough through 三毛猫to join in some spoiler chat haha.

三毛猫 spoiler chat

I also 100% agree with this! I feel like they did a lot at the start to set him up as the worst possible detective and then since the case started he’s been pretty competent and unfazed by the things he’s meant to be phased by. It’s still a fun read but kind of odd/cheap as you say.

14 Likes

Thank you for the kind words! I’ve definitely been trying to keep things interesting, even when I started reading last year. The first game I played was the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon remake on the Switch, since I knew I’d enjoy that! I’m also having a great time with Ace Attorney (and feeling very grateful for all the law vocabulary Wanikani taught me in the 20s).

I think it’s just a matter of finding that sweet spot - something moderately difficult, but also really interesting. I’m glad you’ve been able to strike that balance for yourself!

I’d love to get recommendations, actually. Thank you for suggesting that. If anyone has any ideas for me, I’d be very happy to receive them.

As for genres I like… For manga I’m mostly into really good josei (think Nana and Paradise Kiss by Ai Yazawa) and BL (I’d list mangakas but I’ve read So much). When gaming, I prefer rpgs and story heavy games. That’s probably also why I like visual novels. Now that I think about it, I think I’ve seen a list of otome games ranked by their difficulty floating around…

14 Likes

三毛猫ホームズ speculation (having read up to chapter 2.4)

Theories in reply, probable spoilers but I avoided names

The first description of him is on page 68. Doesn’t that sound a bit like the way the killer is described at the beginning? Also, we’ve been hearing here and there that he’s tired from having done something the night before, or he was on some kind of short trip. Then in chap 2.4, we meet his wife, and she definitely thinks something is up with him. The conversation with his wife seemed like a big flag to me, so big that maybe 赤川 is playing with us and it’ll turn out that he just has a gambling problem or something.

Although… When I just re-read the descriptions of the two murders, are these actually the same guy, or was the second one (p 122) a copycat? In the first one we’re told that he looks like a super ordinary salaryman. The second one has a nice coat and seems handsome and gentlemanly-looking, like, say, the guy on page 150. The second girl knows that a murder happened but it’s inconceivable to her that this guy did it, so maybe she does recognize him. Is 「でも管理人はー」something that a person from outside the campus would say? (Maybe the answer is “yes”) If it’s 150さん, he’d have an easier getaway than most.

11 Likes

I read six pages today and finished the book from Graded Readers, Level 0, Vol. 1, Book 4. It’s about a girl’s friend who came for a visit and stays for lunch. The elder brother is a pest. I learned how to set a table for a Japanese meal.

New vocabulary:

だめ
駄目 Not allowed, must not, cannot

置く to put, to place

33 Likes

Hey! I’m a bit late but lol
Also formatting this is really confusing me

What was I doing on the 14th? Even I don’t know

Days

April 10th: drawing thing April 11th: thing April 12th: thing April 13th: thing
Dunno: thing 21st?

Books
  • Dantalian no Shoka. I bought the whole set ages ago. I don’t know what it’s about, but I figure I should read it.
    Current page: 18
  • 52ヘルツのクジラたち.
    Current page: 8
  • 片思い Have low expectations for this one
    Current page: 0
  • ヒゲとナプキン very relatable book about a trans guy.
    Current page: Complete!

Apr
01✖️ 02✖️ 03✖️
04✖️ 05✖️ 06✖️ 07✖️ 08✖️ 09✖️ 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
May
02 03 04 05 06 07 08
09 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
27 Likes
All spoiler talk, up to ch. 2.4

I just checked where 2.4 leaves off and there is a major plot development at 2.5 which makes me think this theory is less likely :sweat_smile: It’s still possible but IMO it’d be an odd twist given what happened. Though if you’re right (post 2.5 spoiler) I’m worried for 晴美!

Just reread the passage in question.「でも管理人はー」doesn’t seem unusual to me. A dorm having a 管理人 seems normal to me, and probably somewhat expected for a girl’s only university dorm. Also as the killer seemingly frequents the girls at this university, he could have heard about there being a caretaker before.
Page 6 has the coat reference:

でも、来ているコートは高級品だし、そんなごまかしをやりそうには見えない

it’s in reference to her thinking he won’t skip out on paying
Page 122:

上級なコートを着て、身だしなみもきちんと整った紳士である。

5 Likes

Summary Post

April 10
Final Fantasy VII

Vocabulary
  • 退治 = たいじ extermination, elimination, eradication.
  • 驚異 = きょうい wonder, miracle.
  • 手配 = てはい preparations, arrangement.
  • 弟子 = でし pupil, disciple, follower.
  • 凝縮 = ぎょうしゅく condensation.
  • 引き継ぐ = ひきつぐ to take over, to succeed.
  • 未熟 = みじゅく inexperienced, unskilled.
  • 密度 = みつど density.
  • 正しく = まさしく surely, without doubt.
  • 空き家 = あきや unoccupied house.
  • 地層 = ちそう stratum, geological formation, layer.
  • 命名 = めいめい naming, giving a name.
  • 承認 = しょうにん consent, approval, recognition.

@Redglare Thanks for sorting the wiki <3

30 Likes

home

For no particular reason, I tried to draw the first two pages of the book I was reading (Dantalian no Shoka)

Now I’ll like, read more seriously lol

32 Likes

Home Post

Day 7-9
Apr 7-9
Finished the rest of the chapter of 車井戸はなぜ軋る. Yes!
The “Solution” part is somewhat not unexpected to me. I’ll talk more in the ネタバレ section in the book club (to be posted later. I will attach a link). I really like the story because it is presented as a chronological order series of letters from 鶴代 and news reports. It is very creative. I don’t remember reading other detective novels using similar techniques. I can feel the sensitive personality of 鶴代 while enjoying the puzzle-solving while reading, knowing what 鶴代 wrote was only from her own perspective.

By the way, I tried to make my first Anki sentence mining deck using the story. But, for now, the cards I made are 1) sentences with 1 new vocab/expression, and 2) I would need context to understand those new vocab/expressions better. So I’m not adding words with precise meanings, such as 到達、実否、凄惨(which have equivalent Chinese)to the sentence mining deck.

Words of the day:
さきたつ=先立つ: 先に死ぬ
肝腎=肝心: very important
しょいこむ=背負い込む: carry the responsibility
一部始終: from the beginning to the end
俄然: suddenly
ハタと: suddenly。これは多分擬音語だ。

25 Likes

April 10

Busy day today, but managed to read 4 level-one graded readers real quick. There was one on castles around Japan. That was pretty neat.

Reading might get tricky this week, but I’ll do my best.

Progress on Tadoku graded readers
44 / 44 level-zeros
8 / 12 level-ones
x /10 level-twos
x / 18 level-threes

27 Likes

I’m wondering if it’s possible to automatically update the “Days Completed”, by counting the check marks on user’s home page. (Have not looked into Wanikani’s API yet)

3 Likes

Wow, all pretty recent words for me too.

Things are gonna slow down a bit for me for a variety of reasons. Today I did less because on a lot of Sundays I play (online through Tabletop Sim) the Arkham Horror Card Game with some friends which is fun but takes a very long time and is, itself, a minor brain burner. I like board/card games but most of the ones I play are the types with a 70 page rulebook that people make jokes about, haha. So I finally finished 3400 characters and… whatever, that’s fine. I’ve been feeling kind of discouraged the last few days anyway so maybe it’s for the best. Most of my reading was characterized by forgetting a ton of things I think I should know and fumbling through some sentences (and a few dialectic/slangy type total unknowns) but I mean… I’m self aware enough to know I’m probably just focusing on them these days. Is what it is, my mood is struggling to bounce back.

I think I’ll be able to continue reading something every day, but my birthday is relatively soon and then over the weekend for Easter time I’m going out of town to visit my family (which, given my history of doing so badly with covid even that type of small scale gathering is something I rarely do but… going to have to take the risks at some point, I guess). So I’ll be fitting in reading there, but it can’t be the VN, and I’m not going to type updates on a phone.

In case you needed more evidence I’m tired, I messed up cropping the image earlier apparently, so it’s shorter than it should be. What I wanted to point out is I assume there’s a joke here about 漁師 and 猟師 both being りょうし… but then it occurred to me that I’m pretty deaf to pitch accent and I can’t be sure they are actually pronounced the exact same, heh.

Interesting new word is カナヅチ (has kanji but was written this way when I encountered it and it seems this use tends to be more likely to use kana) because it means hammer, but it also means someone who can’t swim. And that latter meaning was how it was being used here.

30 Likes

April 10th (Calendar Post)

Was a quiet day so I managed to get a decent amount of reading time

三日間の幸福 => 13 pages (173 minutes)

Interesting expression I ran into today:

28 Likes

:house:
11th of April
Day 11

:joy: I’m travelling in the afternoon, so I made sure to read beforehand.

Read from page 32 to page 49 of 君ノ声 today! I had to read it twice (skimming the second time) to understand it properly, so it took me almost an hour.

Long-ish summary of the events within those pages and a sentence I couldn't make sense of

I misunderstood. Kyougoku (the businessman) is able to hear the voices of everyone’s hearts but Nana’s.

After Nana runs off, Kyougoku returns to his office? living quarters? defeated, and thinking that not being able to hear someone’s heart/thoughts is worse than hearing them. (Just roughly translating here, sorry lol). Sometime later, he comes across Nana’s mother rebuking her for being impudent (生意気). With his ability to hear her thoughts, he overhears her contempt for Nana. She sees the hairpin and says ‘諏訪部の家を舐めてるとしか思えない.’ I got stuck on the 舐めてるとしか思えない bit. Right afterwards she says ’とんだ安物だ.’ Not sure what とんだ means either but I assume it’s emphasising the ‘common’ quality of the hairpin. As in, not fit for the noble Suwabe family.

Nana is prostate on the ground in front of her mother but her mother proclaims she is destined to never be loved. The engagement to Kyougoku will for sure be broken, therefore she has no use for the hairpin. “How much can it sell for, I wonder?” she says.

At this Nana tries to take the hairpin from her, and it ends up on the ground. Nana covers it with her hands while her mother attempts to step on it. Watching from the bushes, Kyougoku decides to intervene.

He confronts Nana’s mother, and she implores him not to tell anyone about what happened. Kyougoku says he can’t leave his 婚約者 in a place like that, and in exchange for his silence, she should get permission from the Suwabe 旦那 (master of the household) for him to take Nana.

So he leaves with Nana, and tells her that if she does not want to go with him, she should release his hand and slap him. He will know how happy she is by the tightness of her hold.

And then the section ends with 「コレヲ運命トイフノデショウ」, which probably means something along the lines of ‘this is fate/destiny.’

I like your handwriting! Looks very smooth and natural.

25 Likes