📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

:blossom: May 19th :blossom: :house:
Read: 真夜中のパン屋さん 上
Finished: 14%-45%
Finished one of my exams today so I had quite a bit of reading time after, this one’s really interesting so far. Today’s reading wasn’t as hard because I got past some of the more complicated setting establishment to parts that had more dialogue. One of the main characters has a dialect that makes things harder, I’m not sure what it is though. I thought it was Kansai-ben for a while and so did the main character but another character explained it wasn’t but didn’t know the specifics of where it’s from.

Dialect examples

Apparently he’s from somewhere in the Northwest, anyone have any ideas on the specific dialect?
edit: googling a bit I’m thinking it’s maybe 北陸方言 but I’m not sure, I’ll look more in the morning

早よ風呂にでも入ったほうがええ。風邪引いてまうかもしれんで

それやったら、鈴香ちゃん。何が減って、そんなんなっとるんや?
何が足らんくて、そんなに気ぃを立てとる?

Story thoughts

I especially liked this line from todays reading

おたがい人を怒らすセンスがあるせいか、希美と弘基はよく言い合う。最初は猫をかぶっていた希美も、対弘基用の猫は、すぐに野に放してしまったほどだ。

Reading this part was a bit rough in a different way because this part described a lot of how Nozomi is badly bullied at school, mostly ringlead by a childhood friend who turned against her when there were rumors about her dad having an affair with Nozomi’s mom, that’s continued from middle school into high school. This was interspersed with Nozomi adjusting to life at the bread store and starting to get a bit closer to the people there, so it was nice to see her start to have more of a stable support system. This did reach some amount of resolution by the end and established a lot about the protagonist and her personality, it seems like from here is where the story involving the customers at the store is going to begin.

Also a book order came in today! I never realized how tiny bunkobon are

Size comparison

Perfectly hand sized

Compared to the only other non kids book non manga Japanese book I own (think it’s tankobon size)

31 Likes