📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

I am disorganized and tired but I am now on page 146 of 失われた過去と未来の犯罪

Current findings are that it is easier to focus on only one book at once even though more books are tempting

Edit 5/6: 178
Edit 5/6 #2: 196

25 Likes

Read some more Shinymas today. In this chapter they had their test of courage and apparently Rinze is a pro when it comes to horror.

Natsuha got so spooked by Rinze there that she was even seeing fields of flowers after that

It was a very fun and funny chapter to read through today! Very much enjoying this story event so far.

27 Likes

Home

I didn’t read as much as I’d planned/hoped to today. I was all set to, but then I started watching some videos on youtube, and then some Murdoch Mysteries, and I ended up just kinda letting myself not really do anything for most of the day. Still somehow managed to stay on top of my WK reviews for once in quite a while though.

I did, however, read the 描き下ろし ch 11 of クールドジ男子!

Why is my first thought still "Harold…" even when the second half wouldn't be "they're lesbians"

Apparently Hayate is bad with women when it comes to viewing them in a romantic light?? “恋愛する前提で女の人を見るの苦手だし。” His friend Kurosaki says it’s because he went to an all-boys high school and invites him to a goukon for practice because he’s a second-year in college already! (If he dates Mima, he won’t have to worry about trying to interact with women romantically, just saying. Not that I at all expect anything like that to happen in canon lol)

This entire conversation though, he’s been keeping his eye on his phone which he has on the table next to him, and Kurosaki takes notice of it even before the phone of the gal sitting next to them vibrates with a notification and Hayate checks his own. I wonder who he’s been half-expecting a text from~ (I put the squiggly because I’m getting 13 fic ideas, but really, who.)

(The 13 is my ship name for Ichikura and Mima, not that it’s giving me 13 ideas. I have maybe half of two, maybe three separate ones. I don’t feel like trying to come up with “proper” ship names for them so I’m just using their numbers. Also I pronounce it as “one-three” rather than “thirteen.” Shun and Souma are 24, though I think I call them “twenty-four” more than I do “two-four”… I don’t really talk about them though so I’m not really sure.)

Apparently, rather than a goukon, it’s more of a drinking party with some gals from S Uni, though Hayate still gets intimidated, thinking, “The worlds we live in are too different…” when the gals are introduced. One of the gals takes an interest in him and catches him coming out of the bathroom to see if he’ll take her home or at least if she can get his LINE info, but it goes completely over his head lol. His phone is dead because either the cord didn’t connect properly or it’s broken, and the poor gal’s friend tells her that him saying his phone is dead is probably just him letting her down easy, but no, it’s really true, and he really just did not realize she was coming on to him.

He gets home and finds that his charging cable wasn’t plugged in to the outlet, and it’s working fine. When his phone boots up, he finds a couple messages from Shun updating him on how his tests went (not all 100s like he’d boasted he’d get, but they are all high marks), though I don’t think that’s who he was expecting to text him earlier. His reaction is more, “Huh, I got a text from Shun-kun,” like it’s a mild surprise or something. So yeah!! I’m curious!! Who was he wanting to text him?!?!

Shun has a handball tournament on the weekend, and invites Hayate to come if he’s interested. (そっか… この大会のためにテスト頑張ってたもんな… 絶対行こう) That’ll be the next chapter, and it looks like it’ll feature everyone. Also, I hadn’t mentioned it before, but Shun calls Hayate “sensei,” it’s cute.

I also did the mission to recruit Revali in ゼルダ無双. I know judging by recommended level, he should be 3rd or 4th, not first, but he’s my fave, I couldn’t not! Also the recommended level for these are 5 and 6, and we’re already all Lv 7, so. This was my first time encountering 民 read as たみ. It seems this is how it’s read as a standalone word, while as a suffix it’s みん. Anyway, I’m happy the cutscenes that are just narration over the challenge loading screen are advance-at-your-own-pace, because I definitely can’t read/comprehend that quickly, even when I don’t have to look things up. The actual cutscenes with characters talking I tend to miss about half of, but when I can take my time, I can more or less understand it. I wonder when my reading speed will increase…

Also, I may just be biased, but I love how Revali refers to himself as この僕. I really hate that boss fight against him, though, he’s a pain in the ass. 厄介なやつやな。

Some vocab of note:

追求 (ついきゅう) [noun, する verb] pursuit (of a goal, ideal, etc.); search; chase; seeking after
二次会 (にじかい) [noun] after-party; second party (of the night)
醍醐味 (だいごみ) [noun] the real pleasure (of something); the real thrill; the true charm
襲う (おそう) [ア五, transitive] to make a sudden visit
侵入者 (しんにゅうしゃ) [noun] intruder; invader; trespasser; raider
羽毛 (うもう) [noun] feathers; plumage; down

26 Likes

April 5th (Calendar Post)

Completed 私の拳をうけとめて! yey~

Started 魔女が恋する5秒前, which an anthology. In general I am not a big fan of anthologies, but this one seems pretty fun so far.

私の拳をうけとめて! => 9 pages (14 min)
魔女が恋する5秒前 => 39 pages (54 min)

Some fun panels from today:

これは猫です

32 Likes

May 5
This week is flying by. :flying_saucer:

I started playing/reading Dragon’s Quest V with a fellow wanikanier! It was so fun. We both never played a Dragon’s Quest game before, and we’re similar WK levels. It seems to be the perfect fit so far where we’re still looking up words, but nothing’s been too challenging. Between the two of us we come to an interpretation that makes sense.

27 Likes

May 5 :cherry_blossom: Home Post

Today was a “read a few sentences to check off the box” kinda day :joy: I just got side-tracked doing other things so not much reading, just a few lines from ツルネ but that’s okay! Soon it’ll be summer and I can go absolutely wild lmao

27 Likes
ch 28

Ohhh, three people :eyes: Alright, let’s see if I’ve understood it now:

現帝の東宮時代に生まれた子は一人。母親は東宮の乳姉弟であり、のちの淑妃である。

• 現帝の東宮時代に - Current emperor during the time he was a (grown up) crown prince

• 生まれた子は一人 - one child was born, ie. the current emperor had one child

• 母親は東宮の乳姉弟であり - Mother (of the child) is the (back then) crown prince’s “foster sister”.
    (The current emperor is being referred to as crown prince, but technically it should be the child who is the current crown prince, from how I’ve understood it.) #timeconfusion

• のちの淑妃である - (the mother who) later became the 淑妃.

Rough translation:
When the current emperor was a crown prince, he had one child. The mother (of the child) = current emperor’s “foster sister” = 淑妃.

More or less correct? :3

Btw, is it okay if I keep calling you Nafu or do you prefer no nick name? :eyes: Nafutarin :jp:

11 Likes
Ch 28

Well, if you remember the very beginning of the book, that kid died, so he never reached the status of crown prince. (I guess it’s mentioned again around the part where you are… wait, am I getting behind again?)

Otherwise, I think you’ve got it.

Nafu is perfectly fine. I have to admit I’m a big fan of that alternative Nafutarin spelling, though.
It reminds me of nectarines :peach: :nonexistanthungryemogi:

13 Likes

:blossom: Day 35 :blossom: :house:
Read: ジャックジャンヌー夏劇ー
Time: 1 hour and 12 minutes
Finished: 34 pages
Finished reading ジャックジャンヌー夏劇ー! This is the first novel I’ve managed to finish. Overall it took me around 11 hours and 56 minutes. I think I got more comfortable with big blocks of text by the end, but I’ll probably read something easier next. I really enjoyed this book, all of the stories were really good, but it probably wouldn’t make much sense without context from the game. I’d recommend it to anyone who’s played the game to get more perspective on the characters (btw there’s a free ジャックジャンヌ demo on the japanese switch store that’s quite long for anyone interested :eyes: )

New Vocab

A lot of sayings and phrases today
後の祭り (あとのまつり)a day after the fair; (at a) stage when it’s too late
手に汗を握る (てにあせをにぎる)to sit on the edge of one’s seat; to be in breathless suspense​
為す術もない (なすすべもない)having no choice; at a loss for what to do; at one’s wits’ end​
一筋縄では行かない (ひとすじなわではいかない)not straightforward; not dealt with by ordinary means
等価交換 (とうかこうかん)fair exchange; equivalent exchange; exchange of equal value
陣取る (じんどる)to encamp; to take up positions
キレッキレ agile (person’s movements); nimble; adroit; lively; brisk; skillful​
食い荒らす (くいあらす)to eat up and spoil (e.g. crops); to eat away; to devour; to wolf down
羽ばたく (はばたく)to flap (wings)
剥ぐ (はぐ)to strip of (clothes, rank, etc.); to deprive of; to divest of
凄む (すごむ)to threaten; to intimidate; to be threatening
滅法 (めっぽう)extraordinarily; astonishingly; extremely; terribly; unreasonably; absurdly
一騎打ち (いっきうち)personal combat; one-to-one fight
粟立つ (あわだつ)to have gooseflesh (e.g. from cold or horror)
労い (ねぎらい)appreciation; thanks; gratitude

28 Likes
Ch 28

Wait, I thought that was was 梨花’s kid, but she has the title 賢妃, no? o: (according to proper noun reading legend in the book club)

I’m currently ahead of schedule ;3 (or did you mean something else? :eyes: ?)
Can’t remember having read it, but could very well be the case that TiredGlare couldn’t process what she has read the last couple of days :thinking: :sweat_smile:

Yay! Nafu :3

7 Likes
Ch 28 & 2 (?!)

That kid also died. I’m talking of the first one in

(from ch 2)

皇帝が東宮時代に一人、皇帝になられてから二人、どれも乳幼児の頃にみまかられている。

I realized we are Friday, but I’m still on chapter 26. Kind of unrelated, stream of thoughts comment :sweat_smile:

I read that TigerGlare first, by the way, which sounds very powerful. That being said, maybe you should be SleepingSnout instead or some other more clever Homestuck reference.

9 Likes

:tiger2: :books: Tanuki Den (aka Homepost): Date 20220506 :cherry_blossom: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll XXXVI: 木花之佐久夜毘売 :cherry_blossom:

Today I read about 木花之佐久夜毘売「このはなさくやひめ」the goddess of Mt. Fuji (as well as volcanos in general) as well as the princess of blossom and delicate life. Her symbol is the sakura so she is also seen as a symbol of Japanese life in general.

She also marries 瓊瓊杵命「ににぎのみこと」Emperor Jimmu’s great grandfather.

:seedling: Japanese found in the tall grass :seedling:

New Things

天下る「あまくだる」ー To descend from heavens (in this case from 高天原「たかまがはら」the home of the gods)
(御)祭神「(ご)さいじん」ー (honorific) Enshrined deity
神話「しんわ」ー Myth; legend
ほとんど「殆ど」ー Mostly; almost all; virtually
よれば ー According to
本名「ほんみょう」ー Real name (kinda self-explanatory but putting it down because it was not the reading I was expecting)
神聖な「しんせいな」ー Sacred; holy
巫女「みこ」ー Shrine maiden
国津神「くにつかみ」ー Earthly deities; gods of the land
山火事「やまかじ」ー Wildfire; forest fire
五穀豊穣「ごこくほうじょう」ー huge harvest; abundant crop
(called five-grain because the five commons types of harvest crops in Japan were: Rice, wheat, (foxtail - 粟) millet, (common - 黍) millet and beans.)
一目惚れ「ひとめぼれ」ー Love at first sight
蟠り「わだかまり」ー Cares; ill feeling; reserve

New Meaning
can be used as a counter for gods (as well as Buddhas and nobles) like:
“2柱の神さま”

This one gets its own box because it's weird

Found this earlier, it doesn’t even look Japanese, like some guy just slipped it in the kanji-dictionary as a prank. Also has a sibling alt form that looks slightly more Japanese: 乄 (but this is even more uncommon).

Seems that its main usage is as an abbreviation for 締め or 締め切り (〆切).

Still, seeing 〆 instead of 締め just looks kinda weird.

(I accidentally closed the tab and thought my whole post had been vaporized, thank you WaniKani for remembering everything)

26 Likes

Not much time today, but I played a bit of Triangle Strategy again.

Interesting word:
一枚岩 - in this case used in the ‘ironclad solidarity’ sense

And another interesting expression:
飛ぶ鳥を落とす - apparently indicating ‘so much power and authority that one can make flying birds drop from the sky’ or something like that :smile: It was used to describe one of the nobles, I think.

Apparently the writers of the game like these kinds of expressions :smile:

29 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

May 6th :seedling:

・ お兄ちゃんはおしまい!Vol. 2 (48% → 100%)

The characters are so cute.

29 Likes

I read a few pages earlier today. I had hoped to get in as long a read as I did yesterday, but hey, I’m gonna be happy with what I got.

Nothing really stood out to me. The story is definitely racing towards conclusion and I Iook forward to seeing how 坊っちゃん ends. Will probably get there in a few days.

24 Likes

May 6th!

Usually I start my weekly bookclub reading on a Friday evening, but I somehow forgot it was Friday, so I read Chapter 59 of Yotsuba. I loved Jumbo complimenting Yotsuba on her reading ability and making her smile. They have such a sweet relationship.

It’s a coincidence that I read a chapter that involved so much barbecuing, since tomorrow I’m travelling to a friend’s house for a belated housewarming BBQ :slight_smile:
I probably won’t be able to get much reading done, since it’ll be a busy day, but I’m sure I’ll squeeze a bit in somewhere!

(Home Post)

26 Likes

Summary post

I dragged through 6000 characters after wanting to stop at like 2000. I guess the difficulty just changes constantly; I said it was easy before! Now the last few days have been anything but. I mean even in スマホを落としただけなのに there are chapters that are noticeably a lot more work so I guess this is how it goes with writing. Just hard to ever feel like I have a grasp on doing things, and it takes a lot of mental effort to not ride the oscillation up and down as if I’m constantly improving and decaying heh.

I get to sentences like “いや決戦に備えて、みのむし腹筋に励んでいたんだが” and there are 4 words there I don’t know, plus one used in a mostly different way than I learned. They are, essentially, every word that isn’t just a grammatical function. Enough unknowns overwhelm me enough to trigger the frustration. Doesn’t help that I think he’s talking about doing something like “みのむし腹筋” that isn’t even a real term because he was hanging upside down or something. I can’t distinguish if the headache I have is from screen fatigue or just reading fatigue, heh.

Feels like because I can’t read more/faster than this, there are so many unique words that nothing repeats in a timely manner. Without anki I wouldn’t be getting suitable reps of much of anything. Of course, not long ago I was having an easy time, but… blah. Perhaps it’s obvious this is my first time learning a language, heh. And things are tumultuous outside of this, which is probably the real problem, but the way any progress feels so fleeting is frustrating.

All the same, enjoy this image of a “77 year old man,” as he prepares to hurt me :fearful:

31 Likes

Short on time again today! I read 8% → 12% of モテ薬 and the current section is another one sided interview, but the person speaks in a very polite, standard way so it’s much easier to follow along with outside of the medical words. I haven’t been looking them all up because looking things up on an iPad while listening along with an audiobook is kind of a pain, but I might have to start depending on how much these medical details matter to the plot. I’m getting the gist from some from kanji alone and others I’m not sure.

I also read (some of) this article: 幽霊・亡霊・死霊・生霊・怨霊(その1) – 京都cf!
Basically I wanted to know why a tv show I was watching was exclusively using the term 亡霊 instead of 幽霊 and this article helped!

「幽霊」=死者が成仏できずにこの世に姿を現す現象。
「亡霊」=死者の魂が人の姿になって現れる現象。

basically (not exact translation):
幽霊 = dead person whose soul didn’t ascend and appears in this world
亡霊 = a dead person’s soul that takes on human form and appears in this world

28 Likes

Day 34-37 / Calendar

Yes, that’s 4 days… these 4 days I was so tired by the time I was free to do whatever, that this whatever often turned out to be sleep. Nevertheless, I still managed to read (some). I’ve read about 22 pages of Spy × Family, with most of the reading happening on the first and last day of the 4, around 9 pages each, the rest happened the other 2 days.

It’s really interesting, how the language usage differs wildly from character to character.

Twilight uses so many kanji that reading whatever he’s saying is a nightmare usually. On the other hand, Anya only uses hiragana, not even kana (she’s also very friggin cute). Really enjoying it sofar, even though I’m watching the anime as well and they seem to match up mostly.

There was also this bit:
These are words I’m not sure I understand in English even, but I guess that’s the point, huh?

30 Likes

In today’s reading of the Shinymas 「五色 爆発!合宿クライマッス!」 event the girls had a campfire. Was a cute chapter, most of it was spent between Kaho and Rinze talking with each other and reminiscing over the past few days, looking at the photos Kaho took.

Kaho seemed to really enjoy the trip so far and doesn’t want it to end but its as Rinze said, all things come to an end, although she shares the same feeling. I have one more chapter left to read for this event and I’ll be finished. It’s been a fun read so far and I’m looking forward to checking out the other hokura events later on.

26 Likes