詩的私的ジャック - JACK THE POETICAL PRIVATE (S&M Vol.4)

Welcome to 詩的私的ジャック - JACK THE POETICAL PRIVATE (S&M Vol.4)

This book is Volume 4 of the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club. Join the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club here!

Despite of this, it shouldn’t be much of a problem to read it without knowing the other volumes. Of course we learned about the main protagonists’ backgrounds in previous books, but usually there is a quick recap in each volume that covers the most important points. Character development is also very slow because each volume’s main focus is on a given criminal case and not on the life of the people around it, and the cases have been totally unrelated so far. In any case, if you are wondering about anything while reading this book, you are of course free to ask and somebody can fill you in.

Where to buy

Amazon | Bookwalker

Discussion Threads and Reading Schedule

We started reading on June 18th, 2022.

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 1 June 18th Chapter 1 + 2 44 + 32
Week 2 June 25th Chapter 3 + 4 36 + 38
Week 3 July 2nd Chapter 5 + 6 36 + 45
Week 4 July 9th Chapter 7 + 8 38 + 32
Week 5 July 16th Chapter 9 + 10 34 + 35
Week 6 July 23rd Chapter 11 + 12 38 + 16

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read 詩的私的ジャック - JACK THE POETICAL PRIVATE (S&M Vol.4) with the book club?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
犀川 創平 さいかわ そうへい Protagonist (Week 1)
西之園 萌絵 にしのその もえ Protagonist
西之園 恭輔 にしのその きょうすけ Moe’s dad
西之園 捷輔 にしのその しょうすけ Moe’s uncle
結城 稔 ゆうき みのる Rock star
結城 寛 ゆうき ひろし Minoru’s big brother
篠崎 敏治 しのざき としはる Student, Minoru’s friend
杉東 千佳 すぎとう ちか Teacher, Hiroshi’s wife
藤井 紀子 ふじい のりこ Teacher (made the log house)
前川 聡美 まえかわ さとみ Victim
三浦 みうら Cop
浜口 悦夫 はまぐち えつお Technician from T大
田中 たなか Other guy from T大
河原田 かわらだ Forensics
岡部 おかべ SF club member, same grade as Moe
鵜飼 うかい Young cop
相田 素子 あいだ もとこ Victim #2
諏訪野 すわの Moe’s butler (Week 2)
西之園 都馬 にしのその トーマ Moe’s dog :wink:
国枝 桃子 くにえだ ももこ Saikawa’s assistant professor
牧野 洋子 まきの ようこ Student, Moe’s friend
喜多 きた Saikawa’s friend
さい Chinese student
金子 かねこ Male student
内田 かおり うちだ かおり Highschool student
山本 やまもと SF club member (Week 3)
浦野 うらの SF club member
吉村 よしむら Police detective
相良 さがら Teacher
1 Like

Welcome to the 4th Volume of Saikawa&Moe’s detective adventures!

Trying to gauge interest for this volume. First question:

When should we continue with Volume 4?

• Start pretty much right after finishing Vol. 3
  • Take a break and start May-June
  • Take a break and start July-August
  • Take a break and start even later (please explain)

0 voters

At what speed should we read?

Obvious options would be 1 chapter or 2 chapters per week. One chapter would put us at below 40 pages per week (i.e. a bit less than Vol. 3) while two chapters would give us 70-80 pages per week. What do you think?

• Slow and steady wins the race: 1 chapter/week
  • Move fast and don’t break things: 2 chapters/week
  • I’m fine either way

0 voters

1 Like

Let’s get a bit further into planning! At the moment three people would like to start May-June, I could also be convinced to start at that time, but I’m not sure about you @jhol ? Would you also be able to start May-June? If we’d maybe shift this more towards early (or even mid-) June or something, would that help you?

And what about the speed? Two people would prefer a faster schedule, and one person is in favor of the slower schedule. Usually I would rather like to take care of those who cannot read as fast, but I’m trying to balance this with the whole group at the same time (and I’m a little bit afraid we might get very bored when reading this book at a slower pace) :sweat_smile: @Jfredel78 @Redglare @jhol what do you think?

4 Likes

I should have some more bandwidth come mid-June, but there will likely be times in the coming months where I’m without internet access or without the time to keep my reading pace up, so I wouldn’t make too many decisions on my behalf. Hopefully the timing works out, and if it does I’ll definitely read along!

3 Likes

So if we started mid-June and picked a schedule of two chapters per week, would that more-or-less suit everybody then, including you @jhol?

5 Likes

Yup! That’d at least give me a fighting chance of making it work.

3 Likes

Sounds good to me!

3 Likes

Sounds fine with me too. :+1:

1 Like

Alright, everybody liked my post and nobody complained :laughing: Let’s start on June 18th and read this book in 6 weeks! :grin: I’ve updated the OP accordingly.
Looking forward to reading again with y’all!

5 Likes

So the good news is I’ve got my copy and I can’t wait to start! I could even start early if folks would prefer.

The bad news is I found out I’ll be totally off the grid and unable to read anything the week of the 25th, with very limited ability to read the week of the 18th. Could I make a selfish request that we make it a 7 -week schedule and do a chapter per week for those two weeks?

2 Likes

Sorry, I overlooked your post amongst all those thread moving activities going on…

If you have the time up-front, why not start a week or two earlier and read ahead until you are back in sync after week 2? I think it’s nicer to read ahead than to trail behind in your case as your issue lies at the start of the schedule. The wild theories will probably only come up a bit later anyway :grin:

But if you urgently need to write down your thoughts early, just ping me and I can get the threads up early. Can’t do any harm as I expect you to use proper spoiler tags.
…right?
RIGHT?!?!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s always a bummer to be too far ahead or behind the group, especially when it comes to mysteries. But you’re right, since the time conflict’s up front and I have some time now that shouldn’t be an issue. Not sure why I didn’t realize that initially!

And I think I’ll stick with my strategy of posting, proof-reading, then frantically trying to edit my post before anybody sees it when I realize forgot to tag a massive spoiler.

3 Likes

Pull out your lighters, search for your ashtrays – it’s almost time for the next volume of Saikawa and Moe fun! :smiley:

@jhol Did you end up pre-reading yet? Are you okay or would you like me to set up the first week’s thread early on?

5 Likes

Just started reading and we’re off to an exciting beginning! I might take some notes so no need to post early.

If I ever take up smoking I blame this book.

5 Likes

OK, folks. I tried to warn you about it, I tried to talk you out of it, but you didn’t want to listen.

So I guess I have no other choice: Here is week 1 of our next Saikawa & Moe episode :grin:

6 Likes

Time flies - here is week 2!

1 Like

Hey all,

I think I messed up the page counts somewhat? I don’t remember how I got to those numbers back then, but when I entered the page numbers into my new reading tracking sheet, I noticed that the sheet believes the page count is quite higher :flushed:

Also, having noticed that so far only three people voted in the poll for week 2, I wanted to quickly check back with you whether the schedule is still ok or whether we should slow it down a little bit?

Here are the numbers my new sheet gave me:

Week Start Date Chapter OP Page Count Sheet Page Count
Week 1 June 18th Chapter 1 + 2 44 + 32 = 76 90
Week 2 June 25th Chapter 3 + 4 36 + 38 = 74 80
Week 3 July 2nd Chapter 5 + 6 36 + 45 = 81 88
Week 4 July 9th Chapter 7 + 8 38 + 32 = 70 78
Week 5 July 16th Chapter 9 + 10 34 + 35 = 69 76
Week 6 July 23rd Chapter 11 + 12 38 + 16 = 54 59

What do you think?

• I’m ok with our schedule
  • I’d prefer to reduce the page count per week
  • I’d prefer to stick with the page count and insert a week-long break somewhere (or two?)
  • I have another idea (please explain)

0 voters

2 Likes

Maybe we should tag those who haven’t voted yet? :durtle_hello: I think jhol at least mentioned they’d be busy.

As someone who is reading the e-book, I don’t quite get the thing with the number of pages :see_no_evil: I just go by percentage :rofl: But I guess the point is that there are a lot of pages to be read each week.

1 Like

Yeah, sort of :sweat_smile: and also that it’s even more pages than I had initially envisioned.

I mean, I am aware that many of you are really fast readers, so I figured you wouldn’t mind as much, but I thought I‘d at least mention it in case somebody has an issue. If everybody is happy, then I‘m happy too :+1:

2 Likes

I have the physical book, although it’s an older edition that I got from Book Off (so I don’t feel as bad about getting it wet…) My page counts are in between your two counts. Week1: 81, week 2: 78, week 3: 86. With the first/last page of each chapter being typically shorter so you could remove another page or two each week.

It is a tad intense for me with Kafka at the same time, but in a good way. I know I can keep up and I like that it makes me read more since I really haven’t been reading as much lately because reasons (cough cough rewatching all of Buffy/Angel)

Of course I’m also ok with slowing down if anyone wants to.

3 Likes