Volume 3 - シメジシミュレーション・Shimeji Simulation

What to make of 的 in そんな腰を伸ばす的な… on page 11? :thinking: Does it turn the whole preceding phrase into an adjective, with the noun it applies to being left unsaid?

1 Like

Looks like it’s Jisho #3. Pretty sure this is the first time I’ve seen this.

4 Likes

Mind blown! First time I’ve seen this too.

Chapter 22 - March 26th

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to start later

0 voters

1 Like

Did anyone get what’s going on in the bottom half of page 21?

I get they’re talking about climate phenomena and エルミーニョ is probably referring to El Niño (which is apparently katakanized as エルニーニョ), but how does that sound similar to ラタトゥーユ? And is ムルミーミョ supposed to have any meaning? Or is this just a very illogical conversation? :rofl:

3 Likes

Chapter 23 - April 2nd

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet

0 voters

1 Like

This one finally actually showed up in my local Kinokuniya, so as soon as I have a chance to drop by, maybe I’ll actually join in. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes
My thoughts on page 21

They go from あつあつの夏 to さむさむの冬 to ふむふむのさゆ。

ふむふむ can mean “murmur” - this sounds a bit like ムルミーミョ, her first attempt at saying El Nino.

Still not sure about ふむふむのさゆ - maybe “murmuring hot water” (さゆ=hot water)

I couldn’t see anyone call El Nino エルミーニョ on a web search, it’s エルニーニョ in Jisho/Wikipedia. Maybe a typo? Maybe them still pronouncing it wrong?

I couldn’t make the connection to the Ratatouille phenomenon! Maybe a mispronounciation of La Nina? (that’s a bit of a stretch)

Was I the only person who didn’t spot the large mushroom growing out of Shimeji’s head the whole chapter!

Bottom of page 26
そういえばク日だったね今…
Perhaps ク is 九 - nine is an unlucky number in Japan. Perhaps a day with a 9 in it is unlucky?

1 Like
Jokes Explained

I think you skipped a step-- あつあつのなつ becomes なつなつのあつ which to me seems like a goofy but comprehensible play on words. Then Majime uses the same pattern of syllable swaps to go from さむさむの冬 to ふむふむのさゆ which sounds absurd, which is why Shijima gets confused.

The joke with ムルミーミョ is that Majime starts off with a slight mispronunciation of El Niño, then Shijima corrects her (albeit a bit unconfidently, mispronouncing it slightly herself), then Majime says わかった! And somehow manages to move to an egregious mispronunciation.

5 Likes

I love all the quirky ideas in this manga. This was one of my favourites, especially しりとり!

Bottom of page 34
ちなみにしめじちゃんのこの うなっとしたのはどういう感情なんでしょう…?
What is うなっとした?

Please choose…
  • ゾウ
  • アリクイ
  • バク

0 voters

2 Likes

I am not very confident, but I understood this to be:

うな = eel (the eel she’s created as part of her “communication” and is shown above her head in that panel)
っと = the quotation particle? Not sure why it has a っ, maybe just to emphasize the previous うな
した = past tense of する, in this case refering to Shimeji-chan performing the creation of the eel.

“So the fact that Shimeji-chan has made this ‘eel’, what kind of emotion would it be?”

2 Likes

Chapter 24 - April 9th

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

1 Like

I think this is probably 7月, since it’s the middle of summer and all. You can see that the side strokes of the kanji extend a bit past the bottom horizontal stroke, making it look a bit more like 月 than 日.

3 Likes

Well pages 46 and 47 might hold the record for longest time spent on two pages of a manga for me. It’s a good thing we all love language here, right?

I think Shijima’s got a future as a lyricist. モサモサモササウルス is a banger.

4 Likes

I couldn’t make sense of the poem in the second panel of page 46 and at first thought it was nonsense. In fact it’s the Iroha, a Japanese poem written probably in the Heian era, which is a perfect pangram, i.e. uses each character of the Japanese syllabary exactly once. Perhaps if it wasn’t handwritten it would have been easier to spot the unusual ゐ (wi) and ゑ(we) archaic hiragana. Wikipedia gives a breakdown of the translation.

With the amount of times people complain about 友人 being a vocabulary word early in Wanikani, it’s always nice when it comes up in a manga (page 44). It appears to have a more formal feel than using 友達 here.

Something weird happens to Shijima at the bottom of the first page, I assume she is just shaking because she is nervous to be approached by someone she doesn’t well.

Loved it!

3 Likes

Chapter 25 - April 16th

And you’ll be pleased to know it’s a much easier read than last week…

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

1 Like

Alrighty, I’ve finally managed to snag a copy. You haven’t finished the whole volume already, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just gotta find some time to catch up…

3 Likes

Chapter 26 - April 23rd

Participation poll
  • I’m reading along

0 voters

4 Likes

I sat down to start getting caught up on this… at which point, I realised I never actually read volume two. So I’ma get caught up on that first. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

So all this time spent waiting for volume 3 to arrive… :joy:

4 Likes