Extensive listening challenge 👂 (2022)

Hanty’s Listening Challenge Detailed List

I’ve decided to start on my list on what I plan to listen to here. I’m not planning to tackle everything on the lists, but rather I made them to serve as a reference point of what I’d like to try to get through.

Films (including animated)

|Title|Subtitles|Viewing|Review|Finish Date|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|After Life (ワンダフルライフ)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|
|After the Storm (海よりもまだ深く)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|
|Chronicles Of My Mother (わが母の記)|None|1st time|N/A|N/A|
|Departures (おくりびと)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|
|Every Day a Good Day (日日是好日)|None|1st time|N/A|N/A|
|I Are You, You Am Me (転校生)|None|1st time|N/A|N/A|
|Josee, the Tiger and the Fish (ジョゼと虎と魚たち)|None|1st time|N/A|1月22日|
|Kabei, Our Mother (母べえ)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|
|Like Father, Like Son (そして父になる)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|
|Tokyo Tower: Mom & Me, and Sometimes Dad (東京タワー オカンとボクと、時々、オトン)|None|1st time|N/A|N/A|
|Shoplifters (万引き家族)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|
|Still Walking (歩いても歩いても)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|
|Sweet Bean (あん)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|
|Tokyo Godfathers (東京ゴッドファーザーズ)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|
|Tokyo Sonata (トウキョウソナタ)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|
|Until the Break of Dawn (ツナグ)|None|1st time|N/A|N/A|
|Wolf Children (おおかみこどもの雨と雪)|None|Rewatch|N/A|N/A|

I’ve seen most of these movies before, but I watched them just before I came to Japan. My public library had a bunch of DVDs available for rent including a great variety of foreign films, so I got to pick up a lot of movies that looked interesting. I’d like to add some Akira Kurosawa films on the list at some point too, but as you might notice, I’m a Kirin Kiki and Kore-eda fan, so they were my main priority for this list. I love when they collaborate in movies, but it’s a terrible shame that they will no longer be able to. :frowning:

Live Action Dramas

|Title|Subtitles|Challenge|Viewing|Episode|Review|Start date|Last updated|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|Hanzawa Naoki (半沢直樹)|None|All episodes|Rewatch|0/10|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|Hanzawa Naoki Season 2 (半沢直樹2)|英語|All episodes|1st time|0/10|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|Legal High (リーガル・ハイ)|英語|All episodes|Rewatch|0/11|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|Legal High 2 (リーガル・ハイ2)|英語|All episodes|1st time|0/10|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|Say I Love You (愛していると言ってくれ)|日本語|All episodes|Rewatch|0/12|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|Under One Roof (ひとつ屋根の下)|英語|All episodes|1st time|0/12|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|Under One Roof 2 (ひとつ屋根の下2)|英語|All episodes|1st time|0/12|N/A|N/A|N/A|

I don’t really watch TV dramas, but these were all ones my husband recommended and watched together. 愛していると言ってくれ is really good not only for listening practice but for reading because one of the protagonists is deaf so he uses sign language to communicate (and so do some of the other characters who communicate with him). Since you can’t hear him speak, Japanese subtitles are provided. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough kanji knowledge and had to rely on my husband for translation at the time. As for Legal High, if you’ve seen Hanzawa, it’s the same actor except his personality is the complete opposite. It’s a funny show but between the legal terminology and the super speedy talking, it’s difficult to fully appreciate without English subtitles.

TV Anime

|Title|Subtitles|Challenge|Viewing|Episode|Review|Start date|Last updated|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (暗殺教室)|None|All episodes|Rewatch|22/22|N/A|3月5日|3月8日|
|Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Season 2 (暗殺教室)|None|All episodes|Rewatch|25/25|N/A|3月8日|3月19日|
|Battle Doll Angelic Layer (機動天使エンジェリックレイヤー)|None|All|1st time|26/26|N/A|3月15|3月17|
|Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (美少女戦士セーラームーン)|None|All|1st time|10/46|N/A|3月3|3月3|
|Bokurano (ぼくらの)|None|All|Rewatch|24/24|N/A|2月6日|2月14日|
|Cardcaptor Sakura (カードキャプターさくら)|None|All|1st time|0/70|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|D. Gray-man (ディー・グレイマン)|None|All|Rewatch|1/103|N/A|3月17日|3月17日|
|Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken (旦那が何を言っているかわからない件)|None|All|1st time|13/13|N/A|3月19日|3月22日|
|Donten ni Warau (曇天に笑う)|None|All|Rewatch|0/12|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|Gin no Saji (銀の匙)|None|All|Rewatch|11/11|N/A|2月26|2月27|
|Gin no Saji 2nd Season (銀の匙2ndシーズン)|None|All|1st time|11/11|N/A|2月27|2月28|
|Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-hen (鬼滅の刃 無限列車編)|None|All|1st time|7/7|N/A|2月24|2月24|
|Kimetsu no Yaiba: Yuukaku-hen (鬼滅の刃 遊郭編)|None|All|1st time|11/11|N/A|2月25|2月26|
|Made in Abyss (メイドインアビス)|None|All|1st time|1/?|N/A|3月20日|3月22日|
|Monster (モンスター)|None|All|Rewatch|74/74|N/A|2月13|2月24|
|Princess Tutu (プリンセスチュチュ)|None|All|Rewatch|0/38|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|Sazae-san (サザエさん)|日本語|Currently airing episodes|1st time|1/?|N/A|1月9日|1月11日|
|Shingeki no Kyojin The Final Season Part 2 (進撃の巨人)|日本語|All|1st time|4/?|N/A|1月15日|2月4日|
|Shinsekai Yori (新世界より)|英語|All|Rewatch|25/25|N/A|1月31日|2月14日|
|Spice and Wolf (狼と香辛料)|None|All|Rewatch|0/13|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari (うどんの国の金色毛鞠)|None|All|1st time|12/12|N/A|2月28日|3月2日|
|Wolf’s Rain (ウルフズレイン)|None|All|Rewatch|0/26|N/A|N/A|N/A|
|Yakusoku no Neverland (約束のネバーランド)|None|All|1st time|12|N/A|1月28日|1月28日|
|Yakusoku no Neverland 2nd season (約束のネバーランド2)|None|All|1st time|11|N/A|1月28日|1月30日|

Most of the anime are ones I watched while I was still in university and doing the MAL Challenge (watching 100 series a year). So watching them again is long overdue and something to look forward to now with Japanese knowledge.

Variety Shows

|Title|Subtitles|Episode Count|Last updated|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|あなたは小学 5年生より賢いの?|日本語|2|1月14日|
|チコちゃんに叱られる!|日本語|0|N/A|
|YOUは何しに日本へ?|日本語|0|N/A|

I don’t really like Japanese TV except quiz shows or if I’m learning something new, hence the ones I chose on the list. YOU is either loved or hated by viewers, but even though some interviews are kind of ridiculous, there are some really heartwarming episodes too. I like that they check up on some of their old guests to see how they’re progressing.

5 Likes