📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Summary post

Day 17: January 17th

365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑
Time spent: 18 min
Today’s color: 鉛色 (なまりいろ) - lead color (a bluish gray)

So this is really unrelated to anything said in the reading today, but when you google image search “鉛色” you get so many pictures of this smol birb and I wanted to share him with you all xD

In Chinese, it is known as the 鉛色水鴝 (in English, it appears to be called a plumbeous water redstart).

I did actually learn some words from today's reading, promise
  • 広まる (ひろまる) - to spread; to be propagated
  • 西欧化 (せいおうか) - westernization
  • 垂れ込める (たれこめる) - to hang low over (e.g. clouds)
  • 暗鬱 (あんうつ) - gloom; melancholy
  • 降り出す (ふりだす) - to begin to rain; to begin to snow

まいにち暦生活 日本の暮らしを楽しむ365のコツ
Time spent: 9 min

Today’s reading talked about コマイ, saffron cod (in kanji, it is literally 氷下魚 - as the name implies, it is caught while ice-fishing xD). It can be used to make ルイベ, an Ainu dish of fish cut into thin slices while frozen. I also learned the word 出回る (でまわる) - to appear on the market; to be in season (e.g. of fruit).

What else did I read?
タヌキとキツネ
Amount read: 33 pages
Time spent: 20 min

Honestly I had kind of a stupid day today so I needed tanuki cuteness. Luckily there was no shortage of that xD

If you too are in need of a pick-me-up, please enjoy these bouncing tanuki

This makes me giggle every time I look at it

And these squishy sleeping tanuki

I did learn some words too I swear
  • 割り込む (わりこむ) - to cut into (a line, conversation, etc.); to force oneself into (e.g. a crowd); to wedge oneself into; to squeeze oneself into; to intrude on; to interrupt
  • 飛び石 (とびいし) - stepping stones
  • 寝冷え (ねびえ) - indisposition (e.g. a cold) caused by getting chilled while sleeping
  • 証拠隠滅 (しょうこいんめつ) - destruction of evidence (didn’t expect to learn that one from a tanuki manga, did ya)
  • 翻弄 (ほんろう) - trifling with; toying with; playing with; making sport of; making fun of; leading around by the nose
  • 暗号解読 (あんごうかいどく) - cryptanalysis (yet another unexpected word for a tanuki manga xD)
  • 飛び跳ねる (とびはねる) - to jump up and down; to hop
  • 寝ピク - hypnagogic jerk (aka that moment when you’re about to fall asleep and your whole body freaks out and you feel like you’re falling)

Ohh, I saw this manga on Amazon and was thinking of checking it out at some point! Glad to hear it’s good so far, maybe I’ll pick it up the next time I order from Amazon.

25 Likes