📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Wow it’s been a whole week, but I’ve been keeping up on daily reading even though I haven’t posted for a while. Tan-chan just started teething so I just haven’t had the chance to type up all the vocab for a post. (It’s difficult for her to sleep and the typing sound on the computer wakes her up.) But here’s what I managed to get done!

1月9日 ~ Day 9 / Back to Home

Reading Japanese subtitles of today’s aired episode of Sazae-san (20 minute run-time)

Summary

I only remember one of the episodes about Isono offering to hide her friend’s test because her score was so low, she was afraid of showing it to her mom. She tried to find a good hiding place in the house, and it didn’t work out. In the end, her friend did the responsible thing and came by and asked for her test back and apologized for making Isono responsible for something that was her responsibility. Isono also apologized for offering to do it in the first place. It was a good lesson about being honest and up front about your mistakes (and your test scores).

Vocab

ウラメニユー・secret menu
一刻も早く・いっこくもはやく・as soon as possible
抜き・ぬき・without
盛り合わせ・もりあわせ・assorted
校庭・こうてい・schoolyard
一軒落着・いっけんらくちゃく・case being settled

1月10日 ~ Day 10

Reading Japanese subtitles of a variety show

I forgot the exact name of the show, but it was a special which featured two children meeting their dream idol/band and the third episode being about an Indian man living in Japan who was inspired by One Piece and now works in MIT after dropping out of a top university.

Summary

I was taking care of Tan-chan during the program so I didn’t get to record much vocab but watching the little kids meet their idols and dance with them (the little boy meeting his favorite idol from Snow Man was especially cute because he was very humble and had great dancing skills - better than the members in the group).

The last episode featuring the Indian man who wanted to thank the author of One Piece for creating such an inspiring manga that helped him when he was at his lowest was also very heart warming. They set up some of his favorite scenes from the manga and he got to meet Luffy and Shanks’ voice actors and receive Luffy’s hat signed by the author. It reminded me of some of the better episodes from YOUは何しに日本へ?but it was surprisingly a feature on one of the more popular variety shows.

Vocab

出航・しゅっこう・setting sail
夢に関しては・ゆめにかんしては・regarding one’s dreams

Reading Japanese subtitles of today’s aired episode of Jujutsu Kaisen.

At first I thought they said it was a special, but while I was watching, it looked to be exactly the same as one of the episodes in the first season. To be honest, I stopped watching after the first 10 minutes (I’ve already seen the first season recently too) so I didn’t write down much vocab. I was feeding Tan-chan at the time too.

Vocab

仕業・しわざ・deed (esp. negative)
事情・じじょう・circumstances

1月11日~15日 ~ Days 11~15

I read a new chapter from the manga every day except Day 14 (only first 3 pages of chapter 5) and Day 15 (last 9 pages of chapter 5). I’m just going to compile all the vocab together under one cut. I’ll summarize all the chapters under one cut too.

Pocket Monsters Special Volume 1 - page 74 of 200 (54 pages total - chapters 2~5)

In the last chapters, Red met Okido-hakase and befriended and got Fushigidane as well as a Pokedex from the Professor. There were some misunderstandings in the beginning, but Red proved to be a kind-hearted guy and was rewarded for his character.

On his way to Nibi City, he runs into Green who was hunting down a Kangaskhan. Again, Red proves to really understand a Pokemon’s feelings and stopped Green from attacking any further, realizing that the parent was trying to protect her young.

After reaching Nibi City, he finds an uproar over a Pikachu that’s been causing trouble for the local merchants. Red manages to put it to sleep and capture it, much less to the Pikachu’s desire. Green stumbles upon Red again and challenges him to a battle of who can earn the Grey Badge from the Nibi City gym leader first.

Red signs up for a match, but due to an attack on the center, he is unable to restore his tired Nyorozo and Fushigidane and only relies on them during the preliminary match. Having no choice but to use the fully restored Pikachu for his battle with the gym leader, he sends Pikachu into battle, but when Pikachu is about to be attacked by Iwark, Red defends Pikachu, realizing that it’s not fair of him to push Pikachu into doing something it doesn’t want to. Pikachu seems moved by Red and obliterates Iwark with its electricity. Thinking that Red was finally going to be able to get along with Pikachu, he’s literally shocked when his attitude doesn’t change after the match.

Red seemed a bit thick-headed in the first chapter, but he does have his humble side, and it turns out he has a big heart too. He tries to think about the Pokemon’s feelings, and that’s why they fight for him. But Pikachu seems to have a mind of its own. I’m sure they’ll get along some time down the road, but I’m interested to see what specifically changes Pikachu’s mind.

Vocab for Reference - New words are bolded

Chapter 2
背中・せなか・back
種・たね・seed
全部・ぜんぶ・all
数十分後・すうじゅうぶんご・ten minutes later
勝手に・かってに・do as one pleases
部屋・へや・room
謝る・あやまる・to apologize
落ちる・おちる・to fall
警察・けいさつ・police
追いかける・おいかける・to chase after
老体・ろうたい・old (person’s) body
建物・たてもの・building
大人しい・おとなしい・quiet; reserved
飼い主・かいぬし・keeper
怖がる・こわがる・to be afraid of
野生・やせい・wild
格闘・かくとう・(hand-to-hand) fight
攻撃・こうげき・attack
方法・ほうほう・way
植物・しょくぶつ・plant
太陽・たいよう・sun
大したこと・たいしたこと・great thing
懐つく・なつく・to become attached (to)
夕べ・ゆうべ・evening
技・わざ・technique
先程・さきほど・a short while ago
通う・かよう・to go to and from (a place)
記録・きろく・record
図鑑・ずかん・field guide
究極・きゅうきょく・ultimate; final

Chapter 3
近辺・きんぺん・neighbourhood
北側・きたがわ・north side
慌てる・あわてる・to become confused
捕獲用・ほかくよう・use for capture
青虫・あおむし・caterpillar
お互いに・おたがいに・mutually
同士・どうし・fellow; mutual; companion; comrade
文句・もんく・complaint
張る・はる・to keep a watch on
授ける・さずける・to grant
奴・やつ・fellow
程度・ていど・degree; amount; grade; standard
手本・てほん・model; pattern
止め・とどめ・finishing blow
一発・いっぱつ・try; attempt
全然・ぜんぜん・(not) at all
獲物・えもの・prey
横取りする・よこどりする・to snatch
続ける・つづける・to continue; to keep up
弱わる・よわる・to weaken
毒・どぐ・poison
刺される・さされる・to be pierced; to be stabbed
腹・はら・abdomen; belly
余計な・よけいな・unnecessary
付き合う・つきあう・to go along with
絶対・ぜったい・absolutely
我が・わが・my; our; one’s own
最強・さいきょう・strongest
険しい・けわしい・precipitous; rugged; inaccessible

Chapter 4
こん畜生・こんちくしょ・blast it!; bloody hell!
電気・でんき・electricity
鼠・ねずみ・mouse; rat
騒ぎ・さわぎ・uproar; disturbance
一朝・いっちょ・temporarily; short period; once
追い詰める・おいつめる・to corner
商品・しょうひん・merchandise
台無し・だいなし・spoilt; (come to) nothing
しやがって・・
許せる・ゆるせる・to be forgiven
イライラする・to be irritated
利く・きく・to work well
仕上げ・しあげ・finishing touches
所為・せい・blame
属性・ぞくせい・(furigana written as タイプ)・attribute
主な技・おもなわざ・main technique
頬っぺた・ほっぺた・cheek
両眼・りょうがん・both eyes
袋・ふくろ・bag; sack; pouch
放電する・ほうでんする・electrical discharge
数・すう・several; a number of
知能・ちのう・intelligence
機械・きかい・ mechanism; device
存在する・そんざいする・to exist
通称・つうしょう・popular name; common name; nickname
百数十種・ひゃくすうじゅうしゅ・Hundreds of species
書き込む・かきこむ・to fill in (field, entry, etc.)
完璧・かんぺき・perfect
目的・もくてき・purpose
暴れる・あばれる・to be riotous
強情な・ごうじょうな・stubborn; headstrong
仲良し・なかよし・intimate friend
随分・ずいぶん・considerably
のんびりする・to relax at leisure
完成・かんせい・completion
遠い・とおい・far
恥ずかしい・はずかしい・embarassing
挑戦者・ちょうせんしゃ・challenger
募のる・つのる・to recruit/invite (challengers)