📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Summary post

Day 12: January 12th

365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑
Time spent: 10 min
Today’s color: 濡羽色 (ぬればいろ) - glossy jet black

I’m honestly obsessed with how this color is described by this book, and where the name comes from - it’s literally the color of a wet crow’s feather. And that led to this 濡れ色 concept/word that is just like…so much logic? Like yes, I totally understand exactly what you mean when you say that. Why is Japanese so satisfying this way sometimes, like it just…makes sense :sparkles:

Also look at how pretty crows are, isn’t he handsome

Good words
  • 艶 (つや) - gloss; luster; shine; sheen; polish
  • 羽毛 (うもう) - feathers; plumage; down
  • 濡れ色 (ぬれいろ) - color of something wet
  • 光沢 (こうたく) - brilliance; polish; luster; glossy finish (of photographs)

まいにち暦生活 日本の暮らしを楽しむ365のコツ
Time spent: 23 min

Today’s reading was about one of the 七十二候 (しちじゅうにこう) - the 72(!) microseasons based on the solar calendar. The season is 水泉動 (しみずあたたかをふくむ), so named because even though everything still seems frozen on the surface, the waters deep in the Earth have already begun to move - a sign that spring is coming. oooo~

I learned an expression from this today, 身にしむ - it’s kind of like “feeling something in your bones,” from what I understood, like feeling it way deep down in your core. For example, feeling the cold really strongly (which was the context here).

What else did I read?
囀る鳥は羽ばたかない Vol 1
Amount read: 15 pages
Time spent: 16 min

Wow I’m almost caught up :o Amazing what happens when you actually read the book

24 Likes