๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 โ˜ƒโ„

Late as usual but gotta mark the end of the challenge some time right? Iโ€™ve just been alternating reading a chapter from PokeSpe and ๆๆ€–ๆŽˆๆฅญ่ปข็”Ÿ every day the last few days but that means Iโ€™m at least getting 15~20+ pages in per day.

I have to say, I feel a little disappointed until I look back at my home post and notice that my original goal was to just read the ๏ผ‘๏ผๅˆ†ใง่ชญใ‚ใ‚‹ series (and probably only two of them at my previous pace). But once I switched over to reading books and a bit higher level manga, I realize Iโ€™ve accomplished a lot more than I intended to. I finished 3 manga volumes (if you count the days I read in March) and halfway into one more. Iโ€™m also halfway into one book and am probably ready to start a new one in the next challenge. If I can read a full book (probably ใ‚ญใƒŽใฎๆ—…) and finish ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง in the next challenge, Iโ€™ll be really pleased.

Thanks to those whoโ€™ve organized this challenge for the past few seasons! Youโ€™re doing a great service to many people on here! Thanks also to those who share some really interesting info in their updates whether itโ€™s the content from their readings or the new words theyโ€™ve encountered. All of it was enjoyable to read, and I also got a nice list of texts to check out later. :wink:

2ๆœˆ24ๆ—ฅ~3ๆœˆ3ๆ—ฅ ~ Days 55~62 / Back to Home

Pokemon Special 2 (page 77 of 207 - chapter 19)

Red meets Erika who is interestingly another upper class lady similar to Kasumi and also the gym leader. She requires Red to find an Eevee before she is willing to accept his challenge. He later enlists Masakiโ€™s help, and theyโ€™re able to find one with his gadgets. The Eevee they find is unlike other Pokemon as itโ€™s able to change typing by using its ears to identify the enemy Pokemonโ€™s type (and changing to the advantageous type as a result). Red realizes that it has a gadget implanted in its ear that allows it to โ€œevolveโ€ freely. After getting knocked out, Red rushes Eevee to Erika to confirm his suspicions.

New Vocab & Kanji

็ฌฌ19่ฉฑ
ๅๅฎถ ใ‚ใ„ใ‹ distinguished family; good family; reputable family
ๅฏพใ—ใฆ ใŸใ„ใ—ใฆ for; in regard to; per
ใƒใ‚ซใƒณใ‚น holidays; vacation
ๆกไปถ ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ‘ใ‚“ condition; term; requirement; qualification; prerequisite
ๆŒ‡็คบ ใ—ใ˜ indication; denotation; designation
็‰นๅพด ใจใใกใ‚‡ใ† feature; trait; characteristic; peculiarity; distinction
่ท้›ข ใใ‚‡ใ‚Š distance; range; interval
้‡่ฆไบ‹้ … ใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ใ‚ˆใ†ใ˜ใ“ใ† important matter; matters of weight
่ฆ‡ ใฏ championship; victory
ไธ€ๅˆป ใ„ใฃใ“ใ a minute; moment; an instant
ๅ‰ฒใ‚Šๅ‡บใ™ ใ‚ใ‚Šใ ใ™ to calculate; to compute
ๆœ‰ๅŠ› ใ‚†ใ†ใ‚Šใ‚‡ใ influential; prominentโ€‹
ๅˆคๅˆฅ ใฏใ‚“ในใค distinction; discrimination; distinguishing; discernment
ๆฉŸๆขฐ ใใ‹ใ„ machine; mechanism
ๆ•…้šœ ใ“ใ—ใ‚‡ใ† breakdown; failure; fault; accident; out of order
ๆŽขใ‚‹ ใ•ใใ‚‹ to feel around for; to fumble for; to grope for; to search for; to look for
ๅกžใ ใตใ•ใ to stand in the way; to obstruct
่ถ…็‰นๆฎŠ่ƒฝๅŠ› ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใจใใ—ใ‚…ใฎใ†ใ‚Šใ‚‡ใ ESP

ๆๆ€–ๆŽˆๆฅญ่ปข็”Ÿ2 (page 106 of 200 - chapter 7)

Pleasantly surprised that this story was the first in the volume that was enjoyable. I think it helped that I didnโ€™t pay attention to the title before I read, so I didnโ€™t have a moment to really think about the story. When the two twists at the end came, it actually felt surprising. If youโ€™re not a completionist and would rather read the interesting stories from the series, I would suggest skipping directly to this one for vol 2. And donโ€™t read the titles!

New Vocab & Kanji

ใ€Œๆ™‚้–“ใ‚ˆๆญขใพใ‚Œ ใ€
ๅƒ้‡Œใฎ้“ใ‚‚ไธ€ๆญฉใ‹ใ‚‰ ใ›ใ‚“ใ‚Šใฎใฟใกใ‚‚ใ„ใฃใฝใ‹ใ‚‰ a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single stepโ€‹
็ฉใฟ้‡ใญ ใคใฟใ‹ใ•ใญ pile; accumulation
ๅˆฐ้” ใจใ†ใŸใค reaching; attaining; arrival
ไธ€็žฌ ใ„ใฃใ—ใ‚…ใ‚“ instant; moment; for an instant
ๆธฌใ‚‹ ใฏใ‹ใ‚‹ to measure; to weigh; to survey; to time (sound, gauge, estimate)
ๆฏๆŠœใ ใ„ใใฌใ taking a breather; relaxation; vent hole
็™บๆƒณ ใฏใฃใใ† way of thinking; approach
่ฆ‹ๅคฑใ† ใฟใ†ใ—ใชใ† to lose sight of; to miss

Pokemon Special 2 (page 91 of 207 - chapter 20)

The Eevee is in pretty bad shape and Red puts it in the machine to restore its energy (but it isnโ€™t turned on?). Masaki finds the experimental plans for Eevee and Red confronts Erika about them using Eevee as an experiment for Team Rocket. Instead of explaining, Erika accepts Redโ€™s challenge and starts the gym battle. All of Redโ€™s Pokemon are at a disadvantage and he leaves it up to Pikachu. Refreshia covers Pikachu in leaves and contains its energy while Erika leaves the arena to approach the machine the holds Eevee. It seems like sheโ€™s about to end its life, but she turns on the machine to restore its energy after Pikachu breaks free and attempts to guard Eevee. Erika reveals that she was testing Red, having heard about his accomplishments from Takeshi and Kasumi. She was forced to participate in the experiment, but she didnโ€™t want a part of it anymore and helped Eevee escape. She wanted Red to find it and save it. She also reveals the Elite group of trainers that theyโ€™ve organized to oppose Team Rocket. We also see a little preview of Natsume overlooking the scene.

New Vocab & Kanji

ๆ”น้€  ใ‹ใ„ใžใ† alteration
็็จฎ ใกใ‚“ใ—ใ‚… rare species
ๅฝขๆ…‹ ใ‘ใ„ใŸใ„ form; shape; figure
ๆˆฆๅŠ› ใ›ใ‚“ใ‚Šใ‚‡ใ ability (to compete); capabilities; valuable asset
ๅ‹ขใ„ ใ„ใใŠใ„ force; vigor; vigour; energy; spirit; life
็€•ๆญป ใฒใ‚“ใ— (on the) verge of death
ๅ“€ใ—ใ„ ใ‹ใชใ—ใ„ sad; lamentable; deplorable; grievousโ€‹
็ขบๅฎŸ ใ‹ใใ˜ใค certain; sure; definite; reliable; sound; solid; safe; secure
ๆฏ็ตถใˆใ‚‹ ใ„ใใŸใˆใ‚‹ to die; to lay down lifeโ€™s burden
็ต„็น” ใใ—ใ organization; organisation; formation
ๆ›ธ้กž ใ—ใ‚‡ใ‚‹ใ„ document; official papers
ๅ…ฅๆ‰‹ ใซใ‚…ใ†ใ—ใ‚… acquisition; obtaining; procurement; getting (hold of)
ไฟ่ญท ใปใ” protection; safeguard; guardianship; custody; patronage
ๅฏพๆŠ— ใŸใ„ใ“ใ† opposition; rivalry; competition; antagonism
็ฒพ้‹ญ ใ›ใ„ใˆใ„ elite; best; pick; cream of the crop
ๅฎŸ้š› ใ˜ใฃใ•ใ„ reality; actuality; truth; fact; actual conditions
่ฅฒๆ’ƒ ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใ’ใ attack; charge; raid

ๆๆ€–ๆŽˆๆฅญ่ปข็”Ÿ2 (page 140 of 200 - chapter 8)

Again, reading the title really helped not to spoil the twist haha. But the ending twist was part dark but mostly sad. Not like a bring you to tears kind of sad, but I felt it was a shame that the protagonist had no choice but to come to that conclusion. Again, nothing special about this chapter, but unlike the first two I read in this volume, after reading it I feel like I want to keep reading. Earlier on I strongly considered dropping it and maybe checking out the book version.

New Vocab & Kanji

ๅนผใชใ˜ใฟ ใŠใ•ใชใชใ˜ใฟ childhood friend; friend from infancy; old playmate
ๆ•™ใ‚ใ‚‹ ใŠใใ‚ใ‚‹ to be taught; to learn; to take lessons in
ๅฅณๅ„ช ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ‚†ใ† actress; female actor
ไธ€ๅฆปๅคšๅคซ ใ„ใฃใ•ใ„ใŸใต polyandry
ๆŠ‘ ใใ‚‚ใใ‚‚ in the first place; to begin with; from the start; originally; ab initio
ๅ…จๅฏฎๅˆถ ใœใ‚“ใ‚Šใ‚‡ใ†ใ›ใ„ system where all students live in dormitories; residential system; boarding system (e.g. boarding school)
ๅฅใ‚„ใ‹ ใ™ใ“ใ‚„ใ‹ vigorous; healthy; sound
็Š ็‰ฒ ใŽใ›ใ„ victim

Pokemon Special 2 (page 107 of 207 - chapter 21)

Red ends up at the Safari Zone for reasons I canโ€™t remember (Iโ€™m not sure they spelled that out either). With the support of the robot Poppo (Pidgey) employed by the Safari Zone Park, he navigates his way and encounters two giant Nidoking that are fighting over a Nidoqueen. He accidentally captures the Nidoqueen and becomes the target of their anger. Heโ€™s attacked and chased all over the park. He tries to avoid the robot Poppo so it doesnโ€™t become a target. He manages to save it. Meanwhile the guards in the control center are having a hard time helping him out from their end because technology failed them. Redโ€™s Pokemon are watching worriedly. The last we see of Red is heโ€™s about to be eaten by an Utsubotto (Victreebel). Will he survive digestion?

Two lessons from this story: Donโ€™t mess with Pokemon in heat and Red is such a sweetheart to all Pokemon, even robotic Pokemon. Look at him with the robot Poppo.

New Vocab & Kanji

่ฆณ่ฆง ใ‹ใ‚“ใ‚‰ใ‚“ viewing
ใใ‚Œใใ‚Œใ‚‚ sincerely; earnestly
ๆฑบ้—˜ ใ‘ใฃใจใ† duel; shoot-out
ๅทกใ‚‹ ใ‚ใใ‚‹ to surround
ๅฏพๆฑบ ใŸใ„ใ‘ใค confrontation; showdown
ใ‚นใƒชใƒซ thrill
ๆœ€ๆ–ฐ ใ•ใ„ใ—ใ‚“ latest; newest; late-breaking (news)
ๅŠ ใˆใ‚‹ ใใ‚ใˆใ‚‹ to add; to add up; to sum up; to append; to annex
ๆ•ฐๅˆ†ๅพŒ ใ™ใ†ใตใ‚“ใ” a few minutes later; after a few minutes
้•ๅ ใ„ใฏใ‚“ violation; offense; offence; breach; transgression; infringement; contravention
ๆ•™ๅŠฉ้šŠ ใใ‚‡ใ†ใ˜ใ‚‡ใŸใ„ Educational corps
็‹™ใ† ใญใ‚‰ใ† to be after (something or someone); to have an eye on; to plan to make oneโ€™s own
ใŸใฉใ‚Š็€ใ ใŸใฉใ‚Šใคใ to arrive at (after a struggle); to finally reach; to find oneโ€™s way to; to finally hit on (e.g. an idea)
ๅ‡ถๆšด ใใ‚‡ใ†ใผใ† ferocious; brutal; atrocious; savage; barbarous
ๅผพใ ใฏใ˜ใ to repel
้—‡้›ฒ ใ‚„ใฟใใ‚‚ reckless; (at) random; haphazard; blind; sudden; abrupt
่ฒด้‡ ใใกใ‚‡ใ† precious; valuable
็Œ›ๆฏ’ ใ‚‚ใ†ใฉใ deadly poison
ไฝ™ใ‚ˆ่จˆ ใ‚ˆใ‘ใ„ all the more; even more
้€šไฟก ใคใ†ใ—ใ‚“ correspondence; communication; transmission; news; signal; telecommunications
็ ดๆ ใฏใใ‚“ damage
ๅทปใๆทปใˆ ใพใใžใˆ getting mixed up in; getting embroiled in; involvement; entanglement; by-blow
ๅบ‡ใ† ใ‹ใฐใ† to protect (someone); to look after (e.g. an injured leg); to defend; to cover for; to stand up for; to stick up for
่ช่ญ˜ ใซใ‚“ใ—ใ recognition; awareness; perception; understanding; knowledge; cognition; cognizance; cognisance
่ฆ‹ๅฑŠใ‘ใ‚‹ ใฟใจใฉใ‘ใ‚‹ to make sure of; to assure oneself of; to see with oneโ€™s own eyes; to ascertain

ๆๆ€–ๆŽˆๆฅญ่ปข็”Ÿ2 (page 175 of 200 - chapter 9)

This was the most terrifying thing Iโ€™ve read in this series and itโ€™s all because of the baby. I mean if you had a baby and you read a story about an an evil demon baby with really frightening illustrations, I donโ€™t you think youโ€™ll be able to sleep at night either. Thatโ€™s all I have to say. I want to UNSEE that.

New Vocab & Kanji

่ช•็”Ÿ ใŸใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ† birth; creation; formation
็จ‹ ใปใฉ extent; degree; measure
่ฆ–็ทš ใ—ใ›ใ‚“ oneโ€™s line of sight; oneโ€™s gaze; oneโ€™s eyes (looking); glance; gaze; look
ใ‚ˆใ่ฆ‹ ใ‚ˆใใฟ looking away; looking aside
่ทก ใ‚ใจ site; remains; ruins
้บใ„ไฝ“ ใ„ใŸใ„ corpse; remains
็•ฐๅธธ ใ„ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ† strangeness; abnormality; disorder
ใ™ใใ™ใ (growing) quickly (esp. children, plants); (developing) quickly; fast; rapidly
ๅนป่ด ใ’ใ‚“ใกใ‚‡ใ† auditory hallucination
็„ก้‚ชๆฐ— ใ‚€ใ˜ใ‚ƒใ innocent; simple-minded
ๆ‚ชๆ„ ใ‚ใใ„ ill will; spite; evil intention; malice

ๆๆ€–ๆŽˆๆฅญ่ปข็”Ÿ2 (page 200 of 200 - "Another Story" - finished book)

The last part of the volume isnโ€™t another story told by the demon girl, but is a series of mini stories that are actually interrelated. Unlike the cutesy tale they ended with in volume 1, this (particularly the images and some of the ideas of encountering frightening things when you turn the lights out) was absolutely TERRIFYING. I swear they did this on purpose to let your guard down โ€œoh hey the stories in this volume are pretty weak, I guess Iโ€™ll finish up the rest of the volume since Iโ€™m already awake at 2 oโ€™clock in the morningโ€ฆโ€ Iโ€™m here to warn you that is a very bad idea. Oh, and the official title of these stories is roughly translated as โ€œTo Give You Goosebumps at Nightโ€ and well, they succeeded.

New Vocab & Kanji

ไป˜ใคใ‘ใฃใฑใชใ—ใค ใ‘ใฃใฑใชใ— leaving a device on (e.g. TV, air conditioner); leaving something engaged (e.g. a key in a lock)
้›ปๆฐ—ไปฃ ใงใ‚“ใใ ใ„ electric utility expense
็ฏ€็ด„ ใ›ใกใ‚„ใ economising; saving
็ฒŸ็ซ‹ใค ใ‚ใ‚ใ ใค to have gooseflesh (e.g. from cold or horror)
็š†ๆ—ขๆ—ฅ้ฃŸ ใ‹ใ„ใใซใฃใ—ใ‚‡ใ total solar eclipse
็พ่ฑก ใ’ใ‚“ใ—ใ‚‡ใ† phenomenon
ๆญฃๅˆ ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ” noon; midday
่ป‹ใฟ ใใ—ใฟ creak; squeak; creaking; squeaking
็ด›ใ‚‰ใ‚ใ™ ใพใŽใ‚‰ใ‚ใ™ to divert; to distract
้ฃ›ใณใŠใ‚Š ใจใณใŠใ‚Š jumping off
ๅคงไบบๆ•ฐ ใŠใŠใซใ‚“ใšใ† large number of people

ๆๆ€–ๆŽˆๆฅญ่ปข็”Ÿ3 (page 42 of 192 - chapter 10)

I went ahead and decided to start the 3rd volume in the series. It started out with a โ€œgoodโ€ story about the dangers of getting caught up in paid dating. Unfortunately, this is a big problem in Japan. The cases I know tend to involve girls who do it because they have no choice - theyโ€™re in a bad place already and need money to get out, but in this story, the protagonist tries to get money fast for poor reasons. Unlike volume 2, this one started out with an entertaining story with a good life lesson similar to volume 1. I hope this volume continues on this pace.

New Vocab & Kanji

็จผใ ใ‹ใ›ใ to earn (income); to make (money)
ๆฅญ็จฎ ใŽใ‚‡ใ†ใ—ใ‚… type of industry
ๆ™‚็ตฆ ใ˜ใใ‚…ใ† hourly pay; hourly wage
็ฅžใ€…ใ—ใ„ ใ“ใ†ใ”ใ†ใ—ใ„ divine; sublime; solemn
ไบคๆต ใ“ใ†ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ† exchange (e.g. cultural); interchange; interaction; mingling; mixing; coming together
ๅผพใ‚€ ใฏใšใ‚€ to pay handsomely; to splurge; to part eagerly with (money, etc.)
ๆ–™้‡‘่กจ ใ‚Šใ‚‡ใ†ใใ‚“ใฒใ‚‡ใ† list or table of charges; tariff; price list
ๆŒฏใ‚Š่พผใ‚€ ใตใ‚Šใ“ใ‚€ to make a payment via bank deposit transfer
ใŠๆƒใ„ ใŠใใ‚ใ„ matching (clothing); going together
้‡‘้ก ใใ‚“ใŒใ amount of money; sum of money
ไบค้š› ใ“ใ†ใ•ใ„ (romantic) involvement; dating
ๆดๅŠฉ ใˆใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚‡ assistance; aid; support
ๆดๅŠฉไบค้š› ใˆใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ“ใ†ใ•ใ„ paid dating (esp. with an underage girl; oft. involving selling of sex); compensated dating
้ …็›ฎ ใ“ใ†ใ‚‚ใ item; heading; category; clause
ๅ…จ่ฒก็”ฃ ใœใ‚“ใ–ใ„ใ•ใ‚“ everything one owns
ๅฃๅบง ใ“ใ†ใ– account (e.g. bank)
ใŠๅฐ้ฃใ„ ใŠใ“ใฅใ‹ใ„ personal expenses; pocket money; spending money; incidental expenses; allowance
ๅฆ™ ใฟใ‚‡ใ† strange; weird; odd; curious
ไป•ไธŠใ’ ใ—ใ‚ใ’ finish; finishing; finishing touches
ๅฟƒ็† ใ—ใ‚“ใ‚Š state of mind; mentality; psychology
ๅˆไฝ“ ใŒใฃใŸใ„ union; coalescence; amalgamation; combination; alliance; annexation; incorporation

update: Since Iโ€™m late on posting this for the end of February anyway, Iโ€™m just going to go ahead and continue into March. It doesnโ€™t sound like a new thread will start for a while either, so until it does, Iโ€™ll continue to update here!

Thank you for that recommendation! Iโ€™ll probably read it before ็ฃใฎๅฅ่€… but maybe after ใ‚ญใƒŽใฎๆ—… because I at least have the full furigana text version. Iโ€™ll probably need to level up a bit more on WK before I can truly dig into books without full furigana.

22 Likes