📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Summary post

February 24 update:
Finally finished the sixth story of きまぐれロボット today :weary: The end was mildly funny, but I guess the point was to contrast it with the elaborate plan the character devised to train birds to bring him diamonds (stolen, presumably? – I didn’t get that bit), and since that was the most complex part in terms of language, I could barely follow.

22 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

February 24

笑わない数学者
Progress: 74% → 77%

This book is getting weirder and weirder.

24 Likes

Home post :house:

Day 48:

I read the 未確認飛行物体発見-page in よつばと!today :four_leaf_clover::flying_saucer::four_leaf_clover:

25 Likes

Day 55!

Chapter 20 of Yotsuba today.
I was hoping to read chapter 21 today too to finish off volume 3, but its been a busy day and it was already 1 minute to midnight when I finished reading Chapter 20!

(Home Post)

22 Likes

I’ve finished volume 1 of Cardcaptor Sakura. That last chapter was difficult for me to understand. The pictures didn’t help because it was mostly internal monologue or soliloquy. Well, that’s my shoujo manga for this challenge. Now following pattern, it would be to choose a shounen manga next. Which should I choose? I have lots on Bookwalker but some are a bit too hard for me right now so I’ve narrowed down the choices to the following three.

• Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches 2
  • My Monster Secret 1
  • Fairy Tail 1

0 voters

(Don’t feel obligated to answer the poll. I just wanted to try doing a poll once in my life, just to see how it looks.)

19 Likes

Summary post

Day 55: February 24th

365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑
Time spent: 12 min
Today’s color: 草色 (くさいろ) - a bit of a duller green color

Good words
  • 調和 (ちょうわ) - harmony; accord; reconciliation; agreement
  • 打って変わる (うってかわる) - to change completely; to change suddenly
  • 抜群 (ばつぐん) - outstanding; excellent; exceptional; surpassing; extraordinary; distinguished
  • 生長 (せいちょう) - growth (of a plant)
  • 練り込む (ねりこむ) - to knead into

まいにち暦生活 日本の暮らしを楽しむ365のコツ
Time spent: 5 min

Today’s reading was about another shade of green, 萌黄色 (もえぎいろ) - a light yellow-green.

What else did I read?
猫のようなナニカ
Amount read: 16 pages
Time spent: 27 min

Well, today we got to see a different side of ナニカ…the inside :flushed: Some kid was bullying Renya, taking his wallet, and ナニカ literally just…engulfed the bully in the void of its being for a minute and traumatized him into giving it back :joy: I love this cat-being so much. So soft, so…subtly terrifying xD The softest void :3

After that, Renya finally gives ナニカ its name (though the other name option he came up with [虚無] also felt very appropriate, considering what happened in the previous chapter :joy:)

Then he tried to buy ナニカ a collar

Expectation:

Reality:

This manga makes me so happy lol, it feels so relaxing somehow.

Some words
  • あっさり - easily; readily; quickly; flatly (refuse)​
  • ダニ - tick; mite (look at these kanji: 壁蝨)
  • 連行 (れんこう) - taking (a suspect to the police); dragging (someone) away
  • 虚無 (きょむ) - nihility; nothingness
  • あらすじ - outline; summary; argument
  • 多彩 (たさい) - variegated; varicoloured; varicolored; multi-coloured; multi-colored; diverse
  • すり抜ける (すりぬける) - to slip through (a crowd); to weave through (e.g. traffic); to pass through; to make one’s way through
23 Likes

Summary Post

Day 55: Today I read 8 pages of よつば&!and finished chapter 29!

18 Likes

February 24 :snowflake: Home Post

Not a whole lot today :man_shrugging: Earlier I read a couple little folk tales for a class project, and I just played a teensy bit of 999 but I’m sleepy so no more :joy:

(I also watched a fun video earlier (with subtitles so it counts-ish lmao) taking weird English and quasi-English names of Japanese bands and machine translating them into Japanese to see what they actually mean :joy: so that was a good time, plus it was just something I watched on a whim because I was interested in the content so that kinda cool in and of itself!)

Oooooh I also love that, very good wordplay :eyes:

Okay well a. that’s super cute but also b. 「えらんd…」is kinda fun, very intuitive as to what’s happening but I don’t think I’ve seen something like that before

22 Likes

Back. Had a bit of a slump and eventually dropped my streak.

Got back at it yesterday with chapter 49 of それでも歩は寄せてくる and chapter 8 of よつばと! As well as a ton of time on HelloTalk. Reading manga on a regular basis has made HelloTalk much easier. Makes me more confident now in offering Japanese English learners corrections and advise beyond typos and simple errors.

Today, so far, chapter 50 of それでも歩は寄せてくる and finished 三星カラーズ. Very happy to be finished with 三星カラーズ. Aside from my love of poop and fart jokes, there just wasn’t much there for me. Especially after getting into よつばと!

Off to catch up with 極主夫道2.

22 Likes

Haven’t read today yet, but I’m going to try and finish Chapter 3 of 銭天堂 this weekend. (I have less than ten pages to go).

Reason I’m posting now is because I’m going to log out from the forum and take a complete break from it for a few days. I was planning to do so for a week, but I don’t want to miss the end of the challenge, so I’ll check in and make a summary post on the 28th!

I’ll be tracking my own reading and Japanese progress on my Notion in the meantime. :slightly_smiling_face:

21 Likes

Home Post

Remember how I posted the (intentional) kanji mixups from what I was reading the other day? (klick). Yeah, I learned 倒産 (とうさん / bankruptcy) on wanikani today, and it just stuck that much easier because of the 倒産->父さん mixup and even the correct version with お父さん の 会社 が 倒産 して[…] just felt like a mnemonic in itself :joy:

I’m currently in a bit of a reading slump. I miss the 5 page chapters from 時をかける少女 quite a bit. They made for some good reading goals each day. It’s not as if the chapters in 黒魔女さんが通る!! are super long either (I honestly don’t know, but I think it’s often like 15-20 pages??) but I often feel like it’s more than I can tackle at night when I’m already somewhat tired and I’m always a bit frustrated when I feel like I need to stop midchapter. I guess I just should read when I’m less tired but old habits die hard… :no_good_woman:
HOWEVER I have been reading everyday, which is still very much an improvement. :heart: I just sometimes struggle with getting started, but I’m doing my best to at least do a little each day :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Today’s reading was 「画びょうVS押しピン」どっちがしっくりくる? 全国調査でわかった東西差|Jタウンネット - kind of the Japanese equivalent of those polls in America saying “oh people from these states call it pop, people from here call it soda, people from here call it cola, and people from here call it all coke”. But with push pins/thumbtacks) - 画びょう vs 押しピン. I already know which one I’m more likely to remember as a vocab word :joy:

This is the result of the poll for anyone interested:

モノによる means they call it different things depending on the material.

22 Likes

:tiger2: :books: Homepost - Tigerdate: 20220225 :books: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll LVI: 酔っぱらったスズメ :baby_chick:

Read today’s folktale, from Nagasaki Prefecture!

☆ Learnings ☆

Summary

カス「滓」ー Dregs; Left-over bits (of something, like Sake); Sediment; By-product; Junk
ずつ ー A piece; Each; At a time
チュンチュン ー Cheep cheep! (Onomatopoeia)
やがて「軈て rare kanji form」ー Eventually; Before Long
ほうき「箒」ー Broom

New Kanji
Not sure if I’ve looked this up before but here’s the kanji for スズメ [Sparrow] :

20 Likes

I just realized that there’s not many days left of winter challenge :durtle_megane: Now I want to try and finish the Saikawa&Moe book (vol. 3) before the completion of this challenge. A double challenge :eyes:

Currently at 81% - let’s go, let’s go, let’s go! :fire:

24 Likes

I had a distinct memory of learning 画鋲 from (noted Wanikani vocabulary word) 塊魂 and it being easy to remember because of that - but on closer inspection, it uses both! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: For slightly different types of pins:

I suppose if I had to name those for a game I’d call one of them “thumbtack” and the other “pushpin” too despite those words being interchangeable otherwise!
(And Wikipedia calls it a “drawing pin” in British English which I’ve never heard in American English so I guess there’s a regional element with the word in English too!)

21 Likes

Home post :house:

Day 49:

I read one more page of よつばと!today. I’m really taking it slow, mostly just focusing on establishing the habit I guess. Uni takes precedence :four_leaf_clover::books::school::memo::four_leaf_clover:

24 Likes

Seems I’m ordering some new manga :eyes:

On March 4 a new volume of :raccoon: and avan releases.

21 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

February 25

笑わない数学者
Progress: 77% → 87% Here we go :eyes: :fire:

Word of the day: ()(かか)える
for having the same kanji twice but with different readings.

26 Likes

Heh - I also thought that it’s a remarkable word for the same reason :blush:

13 Likes

Yesterday
Read the last thirty pages of The Town Where You Live volume 2
nothing really happened in the volume beside the protagonist just told the girl he likes that he loves her. The girl is confused runs away and when asked some days later for an answer. She just wants to be friends.
Started reading the first twenty pages あさこ volume three which I got during the bookwalker sale.

Today
After taking a break for some days I continued reading Monobeno and finished the fifth chapter. I should probably read something harder but I think I will finish this one first.
あさこ vol.3 I love this manga but unfortunately only four volumes are released for now. Just read 80 pages which is half the volume unlike most manga volumes which have around 200 pages this one has only 160.

20 Likes