📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Summary post

Day 28: January 28th

365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑
Time spent: 14 min
Today’s color: 藍鼠 (あいねず) - indigo gray

Learned some good new stuff from this today
  • 間 (あいだ) - obviously I knew this word, but I did not know that it could be used to mean “among a group” (for example, this color was popular among the common people in the Edo period)
  • いなせ - gallant; dashing; smart (the kanji are 鯔背)
  • め - used as a suffix to adjectives to mean “somewhat; -ish”
  • 度重なる (たびかさなる) - to repeat; to be frequent
  • 奢侈 (しゃし) - luxury; extravagance
  • 大人びる (おとなびる) - to look (sound, behave) grown-up; to be adult-like; to mature

まいにち暦生活 日本の暮らしを楽しむ365のコツ
Time spent: 9 min

Today’s reading was all about ice floes - 流氷 (りゅうひょう). A cool word I learned today from this was 風物詩 (ふうぶつし) - feature of the season; something characteristic of a particular season.

What else did I read?
お前、タヌキにならねーか? Vol 1
Amount read: 22 pages
Time spent: 50 min

An extra long tanuki chapter today - a bully and her victim are forced to get to know each other better when こがね丸 casts a spell on them that causes them to turn into tanukis if they get too far away from each other. I think my favorite part of the chapter was near the end when こがね丸 comes out of the bushes again and he’s like “oh, they’re still hanging out together? the magic wore off a while ago” :rofl: And then they finally try to show their parents what’s going on, only to find that it’s not happening anymore

Good words
  • 目障り (めざわり) - eyesore; unpleasant sight; obstructing a view
  • ガリ勉 (がりべん) - person who studies very hard (at school); grind; swot; drudge
  • 変質者 (へんしつしゃ) - degenerate; pervert; deviant
  • 一睡 (いっすい) - wink of sleep; snooze; doze; nap
  • 無断外泊 (むだんがいはく) - staying out overnight without giving notice; spending night(s) away from home without permission (leave)
  • 決定権 (けっていけん) - right to decide; having say (in a decision)
  • ボロい - worn-out; crumbling
  • 植え込み (うえこみ) - thick growth of plants; plantation; shrubbery; thicket
  • 不審者 (ふしんしゃ) - suspicious person
  • 隠し通す (かくしとおす) - to keep (something) a secret; to keep hidden (for ever); to continue to conceal

They’re really gorgeous books! All the illustrations are in color - from a quick glance-through, the しろくまにっき one seems to be mostly made up of single page “entries in the diary” without much-to-anything of an overarching storyline, while the やさしいしろくま one seems to have more of a story - kind of reminds me of a picture book. Will definitely update when I actually read them :+1: The author appears to have a Twitter too!

22 Likes