三ツ星カラーズ — Week 6 Discussion (ABBC)

三ツ星カラーズ Week 6: Pages 39–44

Start Date: 18th of December

Home Thread: Link
Last Week: Link
Next Week: Link

Characters

The following characters appear this week.

Week 5 Yui  結衣(ゆい)

Week 5 Sacchan  さっちゃん

Week 5 Kotoha  琴葉(ことは)

Week 5 Saitou  斎藤(さいとう)

Week 5 Taisa  モノクロ 大佐(たいさ)

Page Numbers Guide

Due to a general lack of page numbers, it can be difficult to know which page you’re asking a question on. You can use the thumbnails below to see at a glance which page number each is.

Thumbnails with page numbers for this week's reading. (Spoiler warning!)

Read Online

If you don’t have a copy of the volume yet, you can read this week’s material online for free.

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m no longer reading

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

9 Likes

Hopefully someone can go ahead and help you, but I think you’re a little ahead of schedule! Seems we’re still doing half a chapter per week so this one was pages 39-44.

I’m amused by how much everyone wastes Saitou’s time. Also, would someone mind helping me with the second line of the handwritten stuff on the back of the note on the last page? Handwritten kanji is still really difficult for me to read.

6 Likes

Haha! I’m so sorry, didn’t check the pages and assumed we were doing the whole chapter like last week (I think)… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh nothing to apologize over, and I’ve done the same so many times in other clubs, as recently as a week or two ago!

2 Likes

Is it サイトウ 金庫の返却 よろしく! I think the translation is Saitou, please help me return the safe, I’ll leave it to you

4 Likes

I know you’re talking about kanji, but for anyone who has trouble with any handwritten Japanese, you’ll find it gets easier over time.

Eventually, you reach this stage.

rect10451

And then handwritten Japanese does this to you.

14 Likes

The handwritten text in Blend S is probably the worst I’ve ever seen in a manga. Often I can read it, but when I can’t within a few seconds I just move on. I don’t have any great examples on hand though. Instead, here’s one of my favorites, from GochiUsa. (It’s actually not that hard to figure out though, once you realize the text is crisscrossing.)

Handwritten text

But yeah, it’s definitely something that gets easier over time. (The second picture you put does have some hard parts though.)

Hope you all don’t mind me randomly commenting here!

11 Likes

I like it, except your image is freaking me out a little! Haha. To be fair I can make out some characters for sure, just can’t put it together and it’s aggravating.

I definitely believe in it working itself out, though. I struggle but I’m better at it than it used to be. I very vividly remember opening Yotsubato to try to read my first thing and even finding Yotsuba’s text a little challenging to read because it just has a very slightly “fun” tinge to it from the more plain computer font. So I’ve certainly made SOME progress, heh.

6 Likes

Also to be fair, you have no context from just that one panel. It’s always easier when you have context. The first part says リゼセンパイ, which is much easier to read/guess when you know the manga and characters. The second part says なにしてるんですか.

4 Likes

No new location this week, but I will point out something that I hinted at last week: the manga-ka has moved the panda mailbox to the pathway because if they laid underneath it in the real world, they’d by lying in the garden bed. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Wow, I just realised that the page number boxes in the vocab sheet automatically change colour when you type the number in! There’s some serious magic in this vocab sheet @ChristopherFritz! It doesn’t do it if I’m still on my Japanese IME when I’m typing the numbers though…

I love Kotoha’s vicious streak - both that she wanted a turn stamping on Sacchan’s face, and that Sacchan lets her! I also enjoyed her observation that you can eat a panda if you really want to.

Page 41. I didn’t quite get what Sacchan was trying to say in the top panel. She’s thinking hard trying to solve the clue. Her final comment is 食べられないつけただけじゃん - Unable to eat, only attached isn’t it?. It got a reaction from Kotoha but I didn’t get it.

Panel

Bottom of page 42 - うっせぇ - I wondered if this is うっせき - suppression (of laughter)

Panel

5 Likes

Only the first three bubbles are Sacchan. The fourth is Yui, and it’s along the lines of “You’re just adding ‘… that you can’t eat’ on the end of everything”.

It’s 食べられないパンダ which elicits the eureka moment from Kotoha.

うるさい

7 Likes

Google Sheets recognizes full-width numbers as non-numeric values. There’s no clean way to add support for them, I’m afraid =(

If you convert them to variable-width numbers, it should work from the Japanese IME.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you have to do to convert to variable-width numbers, but I just use the keyboard shortcuts to swap between the romaji and hiragana/katakana version of the keyboard while using the IME, and that’s just two key presses. If it’s in the romaji version of the keyboard (not ENG, but still the Japanese IME, just using romaji letters), everything works as intended.

Keyboard shortcuts (on Microsoft IME) for those who are unaware:

Shift + Caps Lock = Swap between whether you are on Hiragana/Katakana to Romaji, or vice-versa (Romaji changes back to whichever one you were using last between Hiragana/Katakana)

Alt + Caps Lock = Switch to Katakana specifically

Ctrl + Caps Lock = Switch to Hiragana specifically

You can tell which mode you are in by looking at the bottom right of your task bar, next to the time and date. If it’s あ, you’re in Hiragana mode, if it’s カ, you’re in Katakana mode, and a capital A means Romaji.

One finicky thing to note: You do need to be in a textbox of some sort to be able to swap between the modes.

I don’t know that Sacchan really lets Kotoha step on her face; my interpretation was that Sacchan thought Kotoha’s やりたい was referring to looking up Yui’s skirt (hence Yui saying, えっダメ琴葉! And looking embarrassed), and that’s what Sacchan was saying, いいぞ to. That’s why Sacchan’s response to being stepped on was: こっちか. It’s basically her realization, “(You meant) this one, huh?”

I could have misread that scenario, though.

6 Likes

Some other fun Windows IME shortcuts.

After you have typed the characters (but not pressed enter yet), you can press F7 to get the Katanaka version of what you have just typed. So if you start typing ばーす and press F7, you will get バース. You can press F6 to go back to hiragana. IMO this is way more efficient than fiddling with the Caps Lock shortcuts.

If you press F8, you get the half-width version バース, which I am not sure what it’s useful for, but I think old japanese programs and some old japanese websites used to only accept half-width. Specially for numbers, 487 , which is full-width, is not recognized as a number by many applications, while 487, which is half-width, does.

By pressing F6, you get the hiragana version. So if you have 嘘 showing in you IME at a given moment and press F6, it will turn back into うそ, which is useful if you made a mistake a didn’t want to go for the kanji version.

5 Likes

Good to know, thanks! I basically never actually manually swap into katakana mode myself, I just included it for posterity. Up to now, if I’ve needed something in katakana, pressing space twice pulls up the drop-down menu of conversion options, and the katakana version is usually in that list, so I just press the corresponding number, and move on. That F7/F6 toggle will definitely be more efficient, though, so thank you for that!

One thing I’m noticing with typing the numbers as well, now that I’m playing around with it: if I press enter after typing 487 while in the Hiragana mode of the keyboard, I still get half-width numbers. I only get 487 if I press space afterwards. Pressing enter doesn’t knock me down a line or anything either. It just confirms the number, and then let’s me keep typing as normal.

2 Likes

Does anyone have tips for quickly creating flashcards for the vocabulary list? I don’t have much experience with flashcards/Anki, so I’m not sure if there is a better method than manually creating each card. It would be nice to drill the words a couple times before reading.

2 Likes

I don’t have any good, quick method, but when making cards from manga, I use Migaku’s add-ons (which require being on Anki version 2.1). The only thing missing for me is built-in Tatoeba support, but I get that through their (not yet free) Chrome browser extension.

The only problem with using Migaku’s tools is that it’s a bit of an experience getting them all installed and set up. They’re working on improving this (merging multiple add-ons into one), but that will take a bit more time.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, the add-ons do look useful from what I could find. Currently I’m reading reading the physical copy so it wouldn’t help much, but It’s still nice to know the tool exists.

1 Like

Type them on the number pad. The IME only interferes when you use the number row on the regular keyboard. :slightly_smiling_face:

42 42 42

These are, in order, English keyboard, IME + number pad, IME + number row.

4 Likes