Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

かがみの孤城 Home Thread

Week 5

Start date: December 4th
End page: End of chapter 六月
Last week
Next week

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:30PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2021-12-05T13:30:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I already finished this chapter
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

3 Likes

I’m a bit behind still trying to catch up on week 4 (only got a week left to finish my coursework, so things are busy at the moment - but as soon as I’m done I’ll basically be off for the holiday so should get plenty of time for catching up then) but hopefully I don’t fall too far back

5 Likes
This week content

Another nice week. I really like the mood of this book till now. I was expecting a death game but it seems that everything is good so far. ウレシノ is kinda creepy with his wish and obsession with love but other than that.
I like マサムネ、and スバル. they seem really nice. レオン Also seems cool.

6 Likes

Yes, they do seem nice and Kokoro seems to be more “one of the boys” than one of the girls. Being good at video games seems to help with that. I just hope she doesn’t take it too hard that she got teased a little bit at the end this week (although Ureshino was more the one being teased).

My questions (and comments) for this week:

The second sentence of this week (things got off to a good start, haha)

一度行ってしまえば、何を気負っていたのだろうと思うほど、他の子たちに会うのにも抵抗がなくなっていった。

I take it that the last part is saying that she has lost her reluctance to meet the other kids, but I’m having a hard time with the part before that. (Even 一度: is that meant here as ‘only once’ or ‘once more time’?) Any help with this sentence would be appreciated!

p. 122: 互いにそのことに触れないのが心地よかったり、...

… そうかと思うと、それを「たいしたことない」と考える人や家庭があることを聞いてすっとした気持ちになったり、いろいろだけど、それはきっと、自分だけではなくて、みんなもそうなんだ。

Oof, that’s a long sentence and I’m having trouble working it out. By the way, I just checked the English edition and the translator actually skipped it completely (!), so maybe I’m not the only one having trouble here :smiley:.

This is right after Aki stormed out of the room when Kokoro started about school and school clubs.

After thinking about this section for a long time, I’m thinking that it’s expressing that Kokoro realises that certain feelings are not just her own (自分だけ) but shared by everyone (みんなもそうなんだ). And I think that the first part is saying that it would be better (or easier? 心地よい) not to touch on “そのこと” (= not going to school? or the scene with Aki?).

The middle part is the hardest to make sense of. Something about there being people and family members who think it’s not a big deal? And feeling satisfied about that? I’m clearly confused… :sweat_smile:

p.140: そんなこころたちを、リオンが興味があるのかないのか、...

いや、本当に興味ないのだと思うけど、一瞥して、すぐにマサムネに「今日、ソフト、何ある?」と尋ねるのが聞こえて、肩が熱くなる。

This is near the end of this week’s part and I had some trouble in general around here with all the conversations and a lot going on a the same time.

The first part of this sentence isn’t too hard (it’s just Kokoro wondering whether Rion would find her interesting, no, she really thinks he wouldn’t be interested), I think. Although I was wondering why it says こころたち.

But in the second part it’s a bit unclear who is saying/doing what. Is Rion giving her one glance and then asking Masamune what games there are today?

And when Kokoro hears that her ‘shoulders become hot’ – is that an expression for feeling embarrassed maybe?

Something about voices (but maybe it's just me)

Something that keeps surprising me in this book, is how voices are described. In previous weeks we already had voices that got stuck in someone’s throat and voices seemed to come out with a will of their own. This week Fuuka’s voice was described as radiant at some point and freezing/cold at another. Although in the other languages that I know there are similar idioms, these passages seem to treat voices as more solid or separate from a person than I’m used to. Is that just me or is that something more common in the Japanese language or specific to this author?

Some details that I liked this week

I liked how, after discussing that Ureshino’s wish was to have Aki fall in love with him, Kokoro contemplated for a minute whether you can still say that someone is the same person if their feelings and thoughts have been changed in such a way.

I liked learning that “U-shaped” is コの字形.

I liked how Kokoro wonders at some point how it can be that the castle doesn’t seem to have gas or water, but they can play video games. Good question indeed :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I like that 恋愛至上主義 is a word.

7 Likes

一度 is ‘one time’. One more time is usually もう一度.

Having gone once, the reluctance to meet the others vanished, so much so that it made her wonder what she’d been hung up about.

Summary

互いにそのことに触れないのが心地よかったり、
And
… そうかと思うと、それを「たいしたことない」と考える人や家庭があることを聞いてすっとした気持ちになったり、
Describe two examples of いろいろ that こころ herself experienced. First she thought it’d be more comfortable for everyone involved just not to touch on it. Even though she had thought that, then coming to know that there were people and households that thought exactly that thing was !no big deal at all’ made her feel relieved/pleasant.
こころ has been having いろいろな feelings, experiences, thoughts etc. These complicated, various feelings surely don’t only happen to her, but to everyone.

She’s not wondering if he finds her interesting. Rather, she wonders whether or not he has any interest in them and their conversation at the time. Then she decides he’s not interested at all, and after a glance (I think リオン is the one glancing, since he’s also the one doing the next action) he goes on to ask about the game they’re playing.

About the descriptions of voices.
I didn’t particularly notice anything odd about them. I’m pretty used to voices being ‘cold’, ‘warm’, getting ‘stuck in one’s throat’ and all kinds of other metaphors/descriptors.
Both in my native language, English and Japanese, which is all I’ve experience reading descriptive novels in.

4 Likes

Thanks, @Belerith! It all seems so simple after your explanations :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: I’m still a bit confused about the use of 気負っていた in the first sentence, though.

Your translation for it (she’d been hung up) makes sense in the context, but all the dictionary definitions that I’ve seen are more in the vein of being worked up in a positive sense (eager). But maybe this is just one of those words whose dictionary definition doesn’t do justice to the subtleties.

I only just now realised that the ‘households’ is referring to Masamune’s household, of course. I was thinking in general terms before, but now it actually makes sense!

(No need to spoiler-blur that discussion, I think.)

Yeah, I guess you’re right and it’s probably just because I’m learning a new language that the metaphors stand out more because I’m so focused on the meanings of words :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If we take ‘to get worked up’ in a neutral/possibly negative way it also works here. The dictionary definition does seem to give a positive nuance that doesn’t really fit here, so I get the confusion. I felt more comfortable with this before looking this up, haha. If someone has a different interpretation I’m all ears :grin:

2 Likes

During this week’s read aloud, we had a little debate about the reading for 何時 in the following sentence:

「ねえ、こころちゃんって明日も来る? 何時頃?」

The possible readings discussed were なんじ and いつ. Personally, I felt it was なんじ, because this book used furigana for 何故なぜ and since it’s on the easier side in terms of kanji and vocab usage, I would expect いつ to either be written in kana or to be given with furigana if written in kanji. The counterpoint was that 何時頃 is a set phrase that is specifically read いつごろ. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

4 Likes

This probably takes the fun out of discussing it, but the audio book has なんじごろ.

9 Likes

Nah, I’m happy with a definitive answer. Thanks for checking!

2 Likes

Finally got round to reading this again :confetti_ball:

I read that sentence as meaning her reluctance to meeting the others disappearing to the point that she was actually eager to go again

3 Likes