Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

かがみの孤城 Home Thread

Week 3

Start date: November 20th
End page: End of the chapter 五月
Last week
Next week

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:30PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2021-11-28T13:30:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I already finished this chapter
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

3 Likes

FIRST TO COMMENT!!!

This was a short week indeed. I do have one sentence that I did not understand.

This week spoiler

In the very beginning おおかみさまsaid
「ただし、童話よろしくお母さんを呼んできて腹かっさばいて、かわりに、石を詰めるとかやめろよ。十分に気を付けるように。」
First part = But instead of your fairy tail that you call you mom until your full, stop getting stuff with rock. Be plenty cautious.
The part mixing me are
腹かっさばい = I know 腹いっぱい so I guess the meaning was similar.
石を詰める = get stuff with rocks?
I guess the general meaning is “You life is in danger so don’t think this is a fairy tale.” kinda vibe.
Can someone help me get the correct definition? Thank you

So none of them go to school. Interesting info. Maybe be important for the future

2 Likes
I think you got the overall meaning, but...

basically, this bit: お母さんを呼んできて腹かっさばいて、かわりに、石を詰める is echoing what happens in red riding hood. iirc, at the end the hunter saves her by slitting the wolves stomach open and filling its stomach with stones (don’t ask me why that makes sense).

the 腹かっさばいて comes from かっさばくmeaning “to cut open” and the かわりに here is the “in exchange for” meaning.

8 Likes

aaaa it makes more sense.

Thank you

2 Likes

she introduces herself as 中一 so I guess it’s been a month since she stopped going to school, rather than a year?

2 Likes

That’s what I was trying to tell all of you in last week’s topic. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Also, before even introducing herself, the text says 今年の四月、入学したばかり which should clarify this issue I guess.

7 Likes

yeah, it’s just more supporting evidence we didn’t have last time right

ah yeah, I read that and then promptly forgot about it :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Right, I’m glad it’s been made this clear now how long she’s been staying at home.

I decided to make a table for the names.
Name Reading Age/Grade Further Info
真田 さなだ 中一 意地悪の子たちのリーダーみたいな女子生徒、こころのクラスメイト Week 1
三河 みかわ ミカワ青果の店長?
安西 あんざい こころの苗字
雪科第五中学校 ゆきしな… こころの学校
喜多嶋 きたじま 心の教室の先生
伊田 いだ こころのクラスの担任先生
沙月 さつき 中一 こころの小学校の頃の同級生
墨田 すみだ 中一 (たぶん小学校のころ)仲良しだった同級生、今はクラスが違う
東条 萌 とうじょう もえ 中一 こころのクラスにちょっと遅れてきた転入生
アキ 中三 ポニーテールしっかり者の女の子 Week 2/3
リオン 理音 中一 ジャージ姿のイケメンの男の子
フウカ 中二 眼鏡をかけた、声優声の女の子
マサムネ 中二 ゲーム機をいじる、生意気そうな男の子
スバル 中三 ロンみたいなそばかすの、物静かな男の子
ウレシノ 嬉野(苗字) 中一 小太りで子弱そうな、階段に隠れた男の子
10 Likes

Isn’t ウレシノ 中一?

1 Like

He is indeed! :+1: Thanks.

2 Likes

I notice you have the kanji 嬉野 listed, but don’t forget 理音!

5 Likes

Ooh you’re right, I did forget! That won’t do! :grin:

I noticed I had a copy paste error in one of the teacher info boxes as well.

3 Likes
16% question

叩き壊さないまでも、遠ざけるだろう。もうそんな不可思議な場所へ行くな、と出入りを禁じて終わりだ。お前らはここに来られなくなって、鍵のそうさくは終わり。それでもよければ、ご自由にどうぞ。しかし、その場合は、こちらとしても考えがある。第三者がいる場所で入り口を開くような真似は、こちらとしても防犯上、好ましくない。

I don’t really get the last sentence. I get the general idea that it’s undesirable from オオカミ様’s perspective if they try to go through the mirror when someone else is present, but what is the 上 doing in 防犯上? Would this be the “from the standpoint of” definition from jisho? So it’s undesirable in terms of crime prevention?

3 Likes
16%

I parsed it as something like this

第三者がいる場所で入り口を開くような真似は、- actions like opening the entrance when someone else is present
こちらとしても - from our perspective
防犯上好ましくない。beyond ???*, is undesirable

*to be honest, I’m not entirely sure what 防犯 is referring to. I thought it might be referring to their rules, but on reflection, I’m starting to think it might be referring to the law - I think she’s saying that rather than being worried about the police/law, calling off the search for the key would be undesirable.

1 Like

That sounds plausible enough. 上 as a suffix can pinpoint the basis (reason, cause, I’m lacking the right term sorry) of what comes after or what is referred.
In this case, like you said, considering ‘crime prevention’ (maybe security works better here), that would not be desirable.

4 Likes

Just finished this week’s reading after my weekend went a bit unexpectedly. Nothing too bad in this week’s reading I think. Interesting seeing how they all introduced themselves and described the kanji in their names - not something I’ve really come across in my readings thus far (said readings, to be clear, don’t constitute too much)

One question:

15%

「衝撃的なペナルティーの内容を明かした゛オオカミ さま゛を、彼女の声が合図になって全員で眺める。」
I’m being thrown off by the 合図になって part here - I can’t work out what it’s meant to mean. Her voice became a signal/sign? And then everyone looked at each other? Like I feel like I can grasp the vague idea of what’s being said (after she explains the penalty everyone looks at the others) but the wording is throwing me for a loop

3 Likes
15%

“オオカミ さま” を、彼女の声が合図になって全員で眺める。

The main sentence here is

“オオカミ さま” を眺める。- stare at the wolf girl

Who does this?

全員で - by everybody

What was the trigger for this?

彼女の声が合図になって - the girl’s voice became a signal, and then

I don’t really know how to phrase this in nice English, but it’s basically something like “The girl’s voice was the signal upon which everybody stared at the wolf girl who had just explained the penalty.”

5 Likes

I agree with @NicoleIsEnough 's excellent breakdown. I gather it means they all did it at once, as if responding to a signal. So, I’d translate it thusly:

Summary

Upon hearing her clear description of the penalty, they all stared at ookami-sama.

2 Likes

Finished the section a few days ago but didn’t get the chance to respond.

I have to say, my new favorite phrase might be 耳にタコで、聞きたくない. I hope to someday use that one in a conversation, although something tells me it might not be so polite.

The breakdown of the 自己紹介 was extremely entertaining to read, both from the perspective of the over-analyzed social dynamics and the language. In my too-far-removed opinion, Tsujimura really nailed the stresses of the most basic social interactions at that age. I almost groaned when イケメン decided to up the ante on the intros. I agree with VikingSchism that it is really cool to hear people talk about the kanji in their names, because it’s so unlike anything I (as an American) would think about in a basic introduction. I also never even would have considered the frustration of having 嬉 in my name (partly because I’ve never even tried to write it.)

6 Likes