ゆるキャン△ Vol. 10 🏕

Volume 10 Discussion Thread

Start Date: 25th September
Previous: Volume 9
Next: Volume 11

Laid-Back Camp 10

ゆるキャン△ Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Reading Schedule

Start Date                   Chapter                                                        Page Numbers   Page Count
September 25th 53 - アルコールストーブをつくろう 3 - 26 24
October 2nd 54 - 庭キャンと千明の断髪式 29 - 52 24
October 9th 55 - ソーセージとこれからの予定 55 - 78 24
October 16th 56 - 鍋と秘境と洋食メニュー 81 - 104 24
October 23rd 57 - 吊り橋の国 107 - 130 24
October 30th Special episode - サウナとごはんと三輪バイク 133 - 152 20
November 6th 番外編 - へやキャン△ 155 - 176 22

Participants

There will be participation polls throughout this discussion thread as we reach each chapter :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Well, let’s go, then! Top post 100% copied from those of @Radish8

53 - アルコールストーブをつくろう

Start date: September 25th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

3 Likes

Alrighty. We’re post-anime now. We’re also post- the most recent volume of the English translation that I have, so no more ranting about whatever Ms Tamosaitis has done this week. At least until I can visit Kinokuniya again - unfortunately we’re currently restricted to within 5km of our homes, and Kinokiniya is just under 6km away from me…

(I slightly suspect that the live-action drama skipped right over the Izu-kyan story arc and continued with this chapter, but since I just flicked through the episode and haven’t watched it, I’m not completely sure. Welp, 映画ゆるキャン△ is due to come out sometime in 2022, though I don’t know if it’s going to continue the manga or just be an original story.)

久々 back at school, which means there’s nothing much by way of new real-life locations.

Page 4-5, for anyone perplexed as to why these drinks are being referred to as アルミ缶, images like this do occasionally pop up in the Google Image Search results. Very occasionally.

Heh, I spent the whole time trying to work out what on Earth was different about Aki’s design, and they go and bring it up on page 11. Just how much time has passed since the last chapter, though?

Page 13 third panel, what’s the ちくわかい pun that’s happening here? 若い?

Page 15 final panel, it’s interesting that this font writes キロ as キロ instead of ㌔. Kinda makes it look like a kanji. キロメートル. I’m not sure I get what’s going on with what Rin’s saying, though - I undestand the words, but not the meaning. Is this calling back to some past context I’ve failed to remember, or hinting forwards at some future context that I’ve failed to notice?

Page 23, I’m honestly not sure I expected them to work quite that well.

Page 26 final panel, well yeah, Nadeshiko - that’s why the instructions say アルミ缶. (Aside from the fact that you needed a hacksaw to cut it.)

Must say, I definitely didn’t expect the Izu-kyan arc would be followed up by the haircut arc.

3 Likes

I… can’t see アルミ缶 on those pages in my book. So, yes, I’m perplexed.
Edit: it’s on page 7
Other than that, why would I be perplexed by aluminum cans? That’s literally what they are, no?

2 Likes

They look like ペットボトル.

2 Likes

Oooh, they kinda are, now that you mention it. Still, it’s much more common for coffee to be in aluminum cans. It has changed a bit in the past couple of years, but my mind just defaulted to metal.

I forgot to reply after finishing the chapter (I’m not used to be up to date with the club) and randomly remembered right now.

I don’t know if you are writing those questions as you read, but yes, it was hinting at the flashback discussion that starts at the end of page 16.

I know, right? Especially since the holes have such an impact…

Use hacksaw with aluminum can as well to assert dominance!

Wait, you’re joking right? The Izu-kyan arc was like two volumes, we’re not going to spend that long on haircuts, right?

1 Like

I was thinking that, yes, but who is 両方 referring to, for example?

Yah, I’m joking. What I’m expecting is Rin and Aya’s Grand Touring Camp Tour.

両方の家 in this case. It’s at equal distance of both of their houses (Rin and Aya).

Oh, wait. Is the circled map with このへん行こ on page 19 meant to be Aya’s suggestion of where they should Touring Camp?

1 Like

Yes. I guess she just looked at whatever was halfway and said “how 'bout here?”
It’s very 適当.

1 Like

54 - 庭キャンと千明の断髪式

Start date: October 2nd

0 voters

1 Like

The chapter starts at Kai-Oshima Station, which (as the sign indicates) is between Utsubuna Station (where Nadeshiko gets off to go home) and Minobu Station. They leave by the southern exit, then walk north - the building in the final panel of page 29 is here.

It’s likely that (like Nadeshiko’s house and her grandmother’s house) the Saito residence is entirely fictional - I haven’t been able to find it, in any case, and the drama episode doesn’t have any establishing shots for the house they used. Five minutes’ walk north of the station puts it about here, though, which makes me wonder if Afro has simply repurposed this building. Or placed this place to its left.

And that’s where they stay all chapter.

Page 33 final panel, it amuses me a little that even though “new” and “item” are English words, only “NEW” is actually written in English.

Page 34 first panel, new word learnt today: ポチる, to buy online. Comes from ポチッ, the sound of a mouse button clicking.

Page 36 fourth panel, that’s exactly the sort of comment that’d get a 恥ずかしいセリフ禁止 from Aika if Akari had said it in Aria…

Page 46, trust Nadeshiko to bring the 1kg bag of sausages.

Page 48, I was wondering why Aki appears to be holding a caulking gun on the front cover…

Page 52, for someone who can’t handle zombies too well, Nadeshiko sure can dish it out.

3 Likes

Yes, at least I think it would be weird otherwise.
I have seen houses with that design, though. I wonder if they inspired the manga, or if it was the other way around.

Nostalgia! But indeed.

Otherwise, I’m looking forward to see more of the father.

3 Likes

I’m astonished that’s her father. Thought he was her big brother the last time we saw him.

2 Likes

That was an interesting look up for me aswell.

Page 35 imagemy exact thoughts

4 Likes

I just realized I forgot to save the edit to the dates in the schedule. … I’ll take care of that later I guess.

55 - ソーセージとこれからの予定

Start date: October 9th

0 voters

1 Like

No movement this chapter. Well, I mean, from page 70, I guess they go somewhere around here, but otherwise they basically stay where they are.

On pages 72-73, Aki is picturing Mount Minobu (where they went for New Years’), Aoi is picturing Oboshi Park, and Ena is picturing Wanitsuka. Not WaniKani tsuka? She mentions seeing it with the Yatsugatake Mountains as the background, but those seem a bit far away - this is what the tree looks like when facing north, and you can’t really see the mountains. Surely she’d be better off looking west, towards the Southern Alps. (Aki’s campground suggestions in the final panel of 73, Lake Shibire and Lake Tanuki, have both come up in the manga before.)

Page 78, Ooigawa? Where’s that? Well, I’ll tell you when they actually go there. Hint: page 19.

Page 57 final panel, what’s へびのぬk? I mean, I guess she’s trying to say it looks like the shed skin of a snake, but that’s ぬけ in my dictionary. Is she just mumbling it?

Page 67, does… does keeping the mince cold when mixing really make that big a difference to the flavour?

Page 71 final panel, I think I can picture Nadeshiko pulling out a knife and whipping up a few sets of chopsticks. Rin would probably be capable of it, but think it too much of a bother.

Page 73 fourth panel, why does Aoi call Nadeshiko’s suggestion 花見キャンプ? Was there a 甲 that came first?

Proper nouns

Page 73
大法師公園=おおぼしこうえん

3 Likes

蛇の抜け殻

I didn’t think about it before, but did Nadeshiko replace her rusted burner?

Well, パサパサ is more related to texture, but I also wonder. How long was she mixing? Also, as she said, it’s supposed to be super cold outside anyway…

乙だな means “中々面白いな”

3 Likes

Yeah, I was vaguely wondering that.

Haha, what? No, you’re having me on. That guy’s having you on.

3 Likes