ゆるキャン△ Vol. 10 🏕

I forgot to reply after finishing the chapter (I’m not used to be up to date with the club) and randomly remembered right now.

I don’t know if you are writing those questions as you read, but yes, it was hinting at the flashback discussion that starts at the end of page 16.

I know, right? Especially since the holes have such an impact…

Use hacksaw with aluminum can as well to assert dominance!

Wait, you’re joking right? The Izu-kyan arc was like two volumes, we’re not going to spend that long on haircuts, right?

1 Like

I was thinking that, yes, but who is 両方 referring to, for example?

Yah, I’m joking. What I’m expecting is Rin and Aya’s Grand Touring Camp Tour.

両方の家 in this case. It’s at equal distance of both of their houses (Rin and Aya).

Oh, wait. Is the circled map with このへん行こ on page 19 meant to be Aya’s suggestion of where they should Touring Camp?

1 Like

Yes. I guess she just looked at whatever was halfway and said “how 'bout here?”
It’s very 適当.

1 Like

54 - 庭キャンと千明の断髪式

Start date: October 2nd

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

1 Like

The chapter starts at Kai-Oshima Station, which (as the sign indicates) is between Utsubuna Station (where Nadeshiko gets off to go home) and Minobu Station. They leave by the southern exit, then walk north - the building in the final panel of page 29 is here.

It’s likely that (like Nadeshiko’s house and her grandmother’s house) the Saito residence is entirely fictional - I haven’t been able to find it, in any case, and the drama episode doesn’t have any establishing shots for the house they used. Five minutes’ walk north of the station puts it about here, though, which makes me wonder if Afro has simply repurposed this building. Or placed this place to its left.

And that’s where they stay all chapter.

Page 33 final panel, it amuses me a little that even though “new” and “item” are English words, only “NEW” is actually written in English.

Page 34 first panel, new word learnt today: ポチる, to buy online. Comes from ポチッ, the sound of a mouse button clicking.

Page 36 fourth panel, that’s exactly the sort of comment that’d get a 恥ずかしいセリフ禁止 from Aika if Akari had said it in Aria…

Page 46, trust Nadeshiko to bring the 1kg bag of sausages.

Page 48, I was wondering why Aki appears to be holding a caulking gun on the front cover…

Page 52, for someone who can’t handle zombies too well, Nadeshiko sure can dish it out.

3 Likes

Yes, at least I think it would be weird otherwise.
I have seen houses with that design, though. I wonder if they inspired the manga, or if it was the other way around.

Nostalgia! But indeed.

Otherwise, I’m looking forward to see more of the father.

3 Likes

I’m astonished that’s her father. Thought he was her big brother the last time we saw him.

2 Likes

That was an interesting look up for me aswell.

Page 35 imagemy exact thoughts

4 Likes

I just realized I forgot to save the edit to the dates in the schedule. … I’ll take care of that later I guess.

55 - ソーセージとこれからの予定

Start date: October 9th

0 voters

1 Like

No movement this chapter. Well, I mean, from page 70, I guess they go somewhere around here, but otherwise they basically stay where they are.

On pages 72-73, Aki is picturing Mount Minobu (where they went for New Years’), Aoi is picturing Oboshi Park, and Ena is picturing Wanitsuka. Not WaniKani tsuka? She mentions seeing it with the Yatsugatake Mountains as the background, but those seem a bit far away - this is what the tree looks like when facing north, and you can’t really see the mountains. Surely she’d be better off looking west, towards the Southern Alps. (Aki’s campground suggestions in the final panel of 73, Lake Shibire and Lake Tanuki, have both come up in the manga before.)

Page 78, Ooigawa? Where’s that? Well, I’ll tell you when they actually go there. Hint: page 19.

Page 57 final panel, what’s へびのぬk? I mean, I guess she’s trying to say it looks like the shed skin of a snake, but that’s ぬけ in my dictionary. Is she just mumbling it?

Page 67, does… does keeping the mince cold when mixing really make that big a difference to the flavour?

Page 71 final panel, I think I can picture Nadeshiko pulling out a knife and whipping up a few sets of chopsticks. Rin would probably be capable of it, but think it too much of a bother.

Page 73 fourth panel, why does Aoi call Nadeshiko’s suggestion 花見キャンプ? Was there a 甲 that came first?

Proper nouns

Page 73
大法師公園=おおぼしこうえん

3 Likes

蛇の抜け殻

I didn’t think about it before, but did Nadeshiko replace her rusted burner?

Well, パサパサ is more related to texture, but I also wonder. How long was she mixing? Also, as she said, it’s supposed to be super cold outside anyway…

乙だな means “中々面白いな”

3 Likes

Yeah, I was vaguely wondering that.

Haha, what? No, you’re having me on. That guy’s having you on.

3 Likes

Hmmm I thought it was the stylish / chic / elegant meaning of 乙 being used in that sentence.

2 Likes

Interestingly, I think I am talking about the same definition. I went with 面白い because 乙 has a connotation of 「普通とは違う」
Otherwise, I would go with 粋 to match that English definition.

From my dictionary:

「普通と違って、一種のしゃれた情趣があるさま。」

2 Likes

56 - 鍋と秘境と洋食メニュー

Start date: October 16th

0 voters

2 Likes

The resolution of the big cliffhanger! Yes, they’re headed to the Oigawa (I’ve marked the dam here, but the whole thing is the Oi River). I don’t know precisely where Aya lives, but it turns out if you join Hamanako-Sakume Station (the nearest station to Grandma’s house) to Kai-Tokiwa Station (the nearest station to Rin’s house) with a straight line, the midpoint of said line is pretty close to the midpoint of the Oigawa Railway. It’s even closer if you connect Grandma’s house to Nadeshiko’s house instead. (The midpoint as the scooter runs appears to be closer to Shizuoka city, though).

In any case, Nadeshiko starts on a Minobu line train, before disembarking at Utsubuna Station. The onsen Sakura mentions on page 83 is most likely this place, based especially on this photo. This area was already on my list of places to visit, but boy, does it look pretty.

On page 93, Rin is travelling somewhere along this road. It probably be tricky to pinpoint precise locations, but there are spots that look quite pretty, like this.

Page 95, Rin arrives at Senzu Station. If you’re riding the Oigawa Railway (which I want to), this is where you need to change from the Oigawa Main Line (which is serviced by heritage steam trains) to the Ikawa Line (Japan’s only rack-and-pinion railway). The whole thing looks so incredibly scenic, and I still would like to know if it’s possible, timing-wise, to get off at every station and look around. The main line also has a replica Thomas the Tank Engine train, which appears on pretty much all the advertising. And a few of Thomas’ friends.

Page 100, Aya mentions riding along national road number one, and presumably it’s somewhere along this section (assuming she’s coming from somewhere along the northern edge of Lake Hamana and not the southern edge).

Page 104, Aya proposes heading for Lake Hatanagi. Considering how far they’ve already come (Rin’s travelled 108km; Aya, assuming she lives near grandma, has travelled 104km, though Google’s suggesting she could have managed it in 90km and avoided highway one) it’s a fair way upstream of them.

Page 81, I kinda want to see how the English version renders the ソロソロソロキャン pun now…

Page 94, any thoughts as to whether the number plate on Aya’s motorbike has some sort of meaning in goroawase or something? (Or Rin’s, for that matter - 376-66 is almost the height of Mount Fuji (that’s 3776)…)

And… you’re just gonna leave us hanging on the subject of あのハンバーグ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Proper nouns

Page 83
寸又峡=すまたきょう

Page 91
千頭駅=せんずえき

Page 104
畑薙湖=はたなぎこ

Page 105 is a big list of place names. Almost pondering if it’s worth leaving it as an exercise for the reader. Maybe finding them on a map will be the exercise. :stuck_out_tongue:
島田=しまだ
金谷=かなや
牧之原=まきのはら
藤枝=ふじえだ
清水=しみず
富士宮=ふじのみや

4 Likes

I’m sure the english translators will do a great job. Judging from what they have done so far

That sounds to ominous, I’m a bit afraid

2 Likes

I have no idea, but since eggs seem to be involved, I wonder if it’s the one where you put and egg and/or cheese in the middle?
But then that would not require to buy specific meat, so maybe not.

Unrelated, but suddenly バリバリシマリン

4 Likes