📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

I’m still hanging in here but mostly just reading a few pages of こぐまのケーキ屋さん before bed each night, just to get the tick in the box. I’m working hybrid at the moment and the days in the office it’s actually a lot easier to fit in japanese study because I have 2 hours on the train. The days at home I’m trying to fit in exercising and feeding the cat and doing the laundry, and I end up doing the bare minimum of japanese. Trying to use this time to work out what’s going to be a realistic schedule for my studies over the next few months though. Trying to find a balance between SRS which is boring but good for me, and immersion, which is more fun but probably not massively effective without the SRS.

14 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :waxing_gibbous_moon: :: TANUKIDATE 20211019 :: :waxing_gibbous_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XLIX: この音とまれ! pg. 85-89 & ガラクタお化け :closed_umbrella:

4 pages today!

And today’s 百物語 story about a priest staying a night in a temple (seems a lot of the folktales start this way) only to be awakened by the discarded items singing.
(The narrator guy’s singing is the best :rofl:)

I’ve always liked the idea of old things once used coming to life at night.

~ New Words ~
ボロボロ - Worn out, ragged, crumbling, tattered, scruffy
七輪 (しちりん) - A charcoal brazier
ひしゃく (柄杓) - A ladle / scoop
ガラクタ (我楽多) - Junk, rubbish, odds and ends
ちゃがま (茶釜) - Teakettle that’s used in tea ceremonies.

You’ve found another one!! :grinning:

I never knew that darkness incarnate would be such a cute little bird
My day has been vastly improved :bird:

16 Likes

Home post

Day 48:

日本語: I read a lot of 伯爵と妖精 20 (and finished it) plus some of パノラマ島綺譚.
Read-aloud: We read a chapter of ハイキュー.

中国語

中国語: I read 退货.

12 Likes

Oct 18th: Read Demon Slayer chapter 4 and 5.

Oct 19th: Read chapter 6 and 7, which means I finished vol. 1.

It was indeed a nice read! I think there is a fine balance between a story being told too curtly and being dragged out too much, and it hit that balance almost perfectly.
For the statistics: Altogether I found 187 words that I didn’t know before or that I didn’t recognize (i.e. didn’t know well enough) or that I recognized in context but wanted to practice a bit more. Added them to the big pile that is my Anki stack :joy_cat:

Now I just wonder how @chrisosaurus is doing in terms of wrist pain and in terms of reading struggles…

15 Likes

Sorry I didn’t have time to post but I read every day. I finished the second volume of 聲の形 which was free on bookwalker and started エデンの檻 volume 1 also free on bookwalker. Unfortunately I don’t have time to make a vocabulary list today.

13 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 19 aaaah, I don’t have any time to read. One more week, and I’ll probably lose Regular status too
・Honzuki 6. (61% → 62%)

14 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

What did I read:

:heavy_check_mark: Day 38 (10月 16日) :sparkles:
暁のヨナ 、chapter 41, once alone, looking up vocabulary and then once at the bookclub read-aloud… it was such a funny session
:heavy_check_mark: Day 39 (10月 17日) :sparkles:
新完全マスター読解、 4 passages, 1hour
:heavy_check_mark: Day 40 (10月 18日) :sparkles:
暁のヨナ, chapter 42, vocabulary lookup, only did half of the chapter, because too sleepy…
this explanatory article on the expression 奇異の目にさらされる
:heavy_check_mark: Day 41 (10月 19日) :sparkles:
暁のヨナ, chapter 42, rest of the chapter, and continued with the words…

here's some interesting words:

目をそらす めをそらす=to look away; to avert one’s eyes
妄想 もうそう =wild idea;delusion
駆使する くしする =using freely;making full use of;
幼気な いたいけな =young and sweet;adorable;cute;tender
晒す さらす to expose;to sentence someone to public humiliation
奇異の目にさらされる きいのめにさらされる
=to attract curious gazes; to be exposed to people’s curious gazes etc
目くるめく =to dazzle; to blind

on a side note, I caught a cold, I’ve been feeling terribly today and yesterday, reading was the last thing on my mind tbh

14 Likes

Summary post

Day 49: October 19
What did I read?: コウペンちゃん :penguin:
How much did I read?: 38 pages
How long did it take me?: 15 min

I’ve been in such a meh mood these past couple days D: Don’t know why…and I better get over it fast, I have so much I need to do but my apathy about it has reached new heights
This book is going fast though haha - it’s a pretty breezy read, which is what I need right now. And it’s very cute, of course :3

コウペンちゃん's reaction to 邪エナガ is so wholesome xD

There was a Cinderella retelling and コウペンちゃん in a dress was too precious

Good words:

• 落ち込む (おちこむ) - to feel down; to feel sad; to be depressed; to be in low spirits
  • 儚い (はかない) - empty (dream, etc.); mere (hope); faint (possibility); fleeting; transient; short-lived; momentary; ephemeral; fickle; vain
  • 暗黒 (あんこく) - darkness
  • めでたしめでたし - and they all lived happily ever after​ (SO CUTE)

Oh nooo don’t leave me D:

15 Likes

Summary Post

October 19th
Final Fantasy XIV

Random words
  • 倍数 = ばいすう multiple (as in number).

Lazy day today. Still practiced for several hours I just didn’t feel like adding many words today.

I find regular status impossible to maintain unless you contribute generously to the POLLs everyday ;-; lost mine many months ago. I still participate in the forums and read daily, though! I just don’t POLL any more. Currently I mostly keep up with the daily challenge, post updates, like everybody’s posts, and check new and followed threads.

13 Likes

I’m sorry you are feeling so meh! It sounds like you work super hard… I hope you’re able to get in some rest and that it helps with the meh…!

Also, the pictures you posted this time and last time are so great. Those ridiculously tiny, pudgy-looking white fluffy birds! Amazing. Thank you! :blush:

Edit to add: after posting I went to google image search for more シマエナガ and found out about a) シマエナガとカラスさん manga b) THIS EXISTS!

12 Likes

Today I read 9 pages of 月刊少女野崎くん 1巻. I finished the free sample, which included a page with a scene that wasn’t in the anime, which was Very Exciting! Then I even bought the e-book. I normally never buy e-books! :joy: It’s fun to be reading something I’m excited about. :blush:

16 Likes

Summary post

Day 49: Today I read another 4 pages of よつば&!

14 Likes

It’s the same penguin as in these futon and summer songs, I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv6shy_9KVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJwR4iHxKV0

12 Likes

My little cat friend got sick and passed away recently and work has been hell :fire::fire::fire::fire: so I’ve not had the energy for daily updates, though I think I’ve only actually not read anything maybe two days. I have still enjoyed hearing what others are reading though :slight_smile:

Buuut I needed to stop in to say that this has arrived!!!

Reading the v cute updates from @windupbird meant that I just had to get it. Very excited to start reading! I’m almost at the end of NO.6 so should give me the added push to power through the end of that so I can read about adorable swimming boys :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: that said, I’ve also recently got back into playing ace attorney again and I’m once again addicted…

14 Likes

So sorry to hear that you lost your cat friend :cry:
I hope the manga can cheer you up a little…

6 Likes

So sorry to hear about your cat, that absolutely sucks.

7 Likes

Thanks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I knew she was a little old lady cat when I adopted her and she got to have a comfy last few years but always sad to lose a pet. Appreciate the well wishes :slight_smile:

13 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :full_moon: :: TANUKIDATE 20211020 :: :full_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day L: この音とまれ! pg.89-93 & 亡霊の恩返し :sake:

4 pages today!

Read today’s world-folktale, which this time is from China, about the ghost of a river. I kept getting confused with the use of “許” here but it turns out that’s the guy’s name, “Xu” (in Mandarin, at least, that’s what my searching tells me).

Today is also リサイクルの日, recycling day!

~ New Words ~
山東省 (さんとうしょう) - Shandong Province, China
さかずき (杯) - Sake cup
川岸 (かわぎし) - Riverbank
身代わり (みがわり) - Substitution (for someone else); Scapegoat; Sacrifice
守り神 (まもりがみ) - Guardian Deity

I hope you get better soon and get some time to rest!

Those lingering moods are always the worst, I hope you feel better soon!

I’m so sorry to hear this! :crying_cat_face:
Though it sounds like her last few years were very happy ones!

It’s sad to hear many of you have it rough lately, all the best to you all! :raccoon:

OH NO they’re all so pudgy!!

14 Likes

Home post

Day 49:

日本語: I read some of パノラマ島綺譚, a bit of それでも歩は寄せてくる, and a bit of 魔王城でおやすみ.

中国語

中国語: I read 计谋.

12 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 20 re: no time, even the teachers are saying “the total workload for your courses is greater than that of a full-time job” :skull_and_crossbones:
・Honzuki 6. (62% → 63%).

Good thing I read a bit just before sleep and after waking up. Feels kinda weird. I’m too stubborn to take a break, definitely not recommended. Get yo sleep, I say, while not getting enough sleep

14 Likes