📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Home post - September 22nd - 2 pages of 大海原と大海原 + going over all of the previous lines to mine for Anki sentence cards + making 20 grammar sentence cards from A Dictionary of basic Japanese Grammar all to hopefully shore up grammar which is by far my weakest point.

18 Likes

I do grammar cards from Minna No Nihongo with the english on the front and the japanese on the back and they are haaaard but so good for me.

7 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :full_moon: ::: TANUKIDATE: 20210922 ::: :full_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXII: First two chapters of: 夜は猫といっしょ :smiley_cat:

My brain is kinda mushy today (I think I read way too much yesterday) so I needed something light to read.

And:

…is all the convincing I needed, I managed to find the first two chapters as a free preview.

It is very very cute (very cute), and I quite like the art style of this one, it’s got a nice whimsical feel to it (I cannot handle the cat’s little faceahhhhh).

Another one for the reading list (thanks again @windupbird :laughing:)

Yay Tanuki!! :raccoon: :raccoon:

20 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 21
:maple_leaf:Read section 2, the rest of Chapter 8 in 手紙! (looooong)

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 22
:maple_leaf:Read section 2, Chapters 9 and 10 in 手紙!
I actually thought I wasn’t gonna maintain my streak today. But I thought, “let’s just read a paragraph and call it a day”. But it was a plot twist (I KNEW something was gonna happen!!) and the chapters were short.

Hang in there everyone! We’re doing better than we were before the challenge!

:raccoon: :raccoon: Main Post :raccoon: :raccoon:

15 Likes

Day 22 :bookmark:
今日の日本の本: それでも歩は寄せてくる(1) 第1局とパージ:1-5

It’s definitely one of the (look up ever other word) books for me but I did read this manga before when it first came out in english (didn’t finish all of it though) so that makes it a little easier for me to understand what’s happening.

16 Likes

My tiny summary post

September 22 Today’s tiny read:
・Honzuki 6. (24% → 25%)

It is officially autumn in the northern hemisphere :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: The fella on the photo must be the unique leaf tanuki :eyes: :raccoon:

17 Likes

Sorry I was too lazy to post the last three days in this thread. But of course did I read everyday. I started the クドわふた manga volume 1, actually I already read half of the volume. It’s soooo cute :two_hearts: Did I already mention that I have a weakness for cute manga?

16 Likes

Sept 19: Read a tiny bit of 乳と卵. Also, read a bit in the Shinkanzen N2 Reading book. Wanted to do the first lesson, but got exhausted already by reading the preliminary explanations in the book :roll_eyes:

Sept 20: Got around to doing the first lesson in the Shinkanzen N2 Reading book. These stories are always so crammed full with unknown vocab that I sometimes have a hard time understanding anything at all. Luckily this one went okay though :sweat_smile: Also, I think I read some more of 乳と卵.

Sept 21: Took another practice test (there are 3 in the set that I was required to buy for my prep classes, and the teacher will address the contents of those tests in different lessons). This one went much much better than the previous one. I will of course stick with studying more, but my spirits have been lifted somewhat by this result. (Also, I did the listening part of the first test at some point and scored 80% - if that’s indicative for the real test then this should carry me through it :grin:)

20 Likes

Home post

Day 21:

日本語: I read a lot of はめふら 10, a fair amount of のだめカンタービレ, some of それでも歩は寄せてくる (finished v3) and a bit of 魔王城でおやすみ.

Reminder to self to read more 小川未明童話集

中国語

中国語: I read 闹钟, 又迟到了, 看电影, 生日, and 孩子的生日. It was great that I was motivated to do that many today, but one a day is also okay (<-- note to self to not get over-ambitious and end up not doing even one).

16 Likes

What are these? Like short stories?

4 Likes

I’m reading through the beginner category on Mandarin Bean. Each one is very, very short. Their simplicity, the hover-over dictionary, and the downloadable audio makes it perfect for me right now.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 22: Read 4 pages of よつば&!One of the pages didn’t actually have any text on it so I read extra today. Also, the facial expressions in this part really got me

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 3.46.50 PM

21 Likes

Ahh, ok. Until now, I wasn’t able to tell if you were a beginner at mandarin and reading one short story every day or advanced and reading like one book every day lol. The 5 in one day helped a bit in figuring it out.

2 Likes

月9 日21 ・ Another four pages! After the first page I wanted to stop, but convinced myself to at least read one more page. Then instead I read three, because I kept thinking, hmmm what happens next? I’m so excited that’s starting to happen from time to time!

And then in the afternoon I read a story from 10分で読める物語1年生, which I am rereading in order to keep a 読書ノート as they explain how to do in the back of the book. So I also wrote my thoughts on the story in Japanese.

Anki deck down to 758.

All in all a great day for studying!

月9 日22 ・ Read two pages. Nothing to write home about really.
Anki deck: 754 (although I did a lot more than 4 flashcards!)

:house_with_garden:

16 Likes

Summary Post

September 22nd
Satori Reader: Secret, episode 47.

Random words
  • 理系 = りけい science (subjects regarding science).
  • 文系 = ぶんけい humanities, social sciences and fine arts; liberal arts (as opposed to 理系).
  • 社会人 = しゃかいじん working adult, full-fledged member of society.

16 Likes

Dear Tanuki Cuteness Brigade,

I was looking up こぐまのケーキ屋さん when I happened across … … … クマとたぬき!

I’ve pretty much only seen the cover and I’m already done for.

:heart: :raccoon:

16 Likes

Summary post

Day 22: September 22
What did I read?: 夜は猫といっしょ Vol 1
How much did I read?: 43 pages
How long did it take me?: 23 min

re: work - dying a slow and painful death
Re: cat - still cute :3

遊びのお誘い

Look at this little cat puddle

They tried to give the cat a bath and it went about how you would expect

Good words:
嗅ぐ (かぐ) - to sniff; to smell
波打つ (なみうつ) - to wave (e.g. in the wind); to heave; to pound (of a heart); to undulate (can also mean to dash against (of waves); to billow; to roll)
びんた - slap in the face; slap on the cheek
バレバレ - (of a lie, etc.) obvious; transparent​
舞い上がる (まいあがる) - to soar; to fly high; to be whirled up (can also mean to make merry; to be ecstatic; to be in high spirits)

Lol I’m slowly turning the thread into a book club for cute manga…this pleases me :smiling_imp:
I ordered the second volume of the tanuki manga, it should be here tomorrow :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:pleading_face: :pleading_face: :pleading_face:
What the heck, this is so cute, why is it so cute :sob:
slams the buy button

17 Likes

I welcome this development! I never understood the appeal of kawaii when I was a teenager but the older I’ve got, the more soothing it becomes. On my desk at work I have half a dozen Sylvanian families figures, an Aggretsuko plushie and a polaroid of me meeting Hello Kitty, and some times I have to summon their full cuteness before I reply to a particularly vexing email.

I’m in the office today and managed to read in the park before work again. Finally saw 左右 in the wild, after never really being quite sure how it would be used because there’s no real equivalent word in English.

12 Likes

Home post

September 23rd - today was a bit weirder, I had previously typed out the first chapter for a new manga I want to start (王様ランキング) - today I went through the rest of those typed lines to find all the kana words I didn’t know to eventually add to Anki, I’d previously gone through for Kanji words.

In doing this I did work through many sentences and fragments, although I haven’t done any formal breakdowns yet - I’m pleasantly surprised how much I was able to follow.

So far over the first 20 pages of this book I’ve collected 148 kanji or kana words / grammar points, of which 83 have made their way into anki already - the rest are in a spreadsheet waiting their turn.

It’s now after midnight and I’m way too tired to do any more reading.

EDIT: oh and today something arrived in the mail, I blame/thank @Aislin (Context and more context)

18 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :full_moon: ::: TANUKIDATE: 20210923 ::: :full_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXIII: エンコウ :durtle:

Almost forgot to read today, I was gonna read today’s “百物語” but then saw the picture of this guy:
Durkle

…and this amuses me greatly, so I read this one instead.

Don’t think I’ve seen this kanji before: 淵 (ふち) :: abyss, edge, deep pool, the depths.
That is one cool looking kanji.

How to describe a kappa: ぬめぬめ (滑々) - wet and glistening; slimy; slippery​

You have done a great service to the Tanuki Cuteness Brigade :raccoon:
So gonna look into this!!

20 Likes