Amazon | Bookwalker

Discussion Threads and Reading Schedule

We started reading on Sept 18th, 2021.

Week Start Date Chapter / End Phrase End Page Kindle LOC Kindle % Page Count
Week 1 Sept 18th さてしかしこれがさっぱり思い出せない。 44 36
Week 2 Sept 25th 完全に見えなくなる。 77 34
Week 3 Oct 2nd End Story 1. 107 31
Week 4 Oct 9th Story 2: あなたたちの恋愛は瀕死 133 27

(Note: One physical page contains ~83% of the text of one BookWalker “standard page”.)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read 乳と卵 with the book club?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback

0 voters

7 Likes

Hello and welcome to the 乳と卵 book club!

The book is very short and contains two stories (one of about 100 pages, the other of about 25 pages).
I’ve suggested a schedule in the OP. It’s a bit on the harder side, I was told, but still a modern book, therefore I decided to break the first story into three parts. There are plenty of breaks, so it was not hard to find more or less suitable ones. Happy to hear what you think of the schedule, and whether you have better ideas for it!

4 Likes

Sounds great! Looks like I won’t take a break from the ABC after 人間失格.
Also, you should advertise The Akutagawa Prize Reading Challenge and vice versa :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yay! Good to have you with us :slight_smile:

Hehe, good point! Will do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The schedule sounds good to me. Looking forward to crossing another book off the Akutagawa challenge list! (And reading the book of course)

5 Likes

Mhh, the edition linked on Amazon shows フランス語版 for some reason. Might be a mistake on their end? The preview is in Japanese. Since I’m in France, I’d be pretty upset if I ordered the book all the way from Japan, just to get a french edition >_>

3 Likes

Huh. Thanks for spotting this! Looks weird indeed. It says “French edition” at the top and “Language: French” at the bottom. But the book title and author are written in Japanese, and if you look at the “look inside” it’s still Japanese though :thinking:

On top of that, there is the Kindle edition page but if you go to “all formats and editions” and select the cheaper of the two paperback options, you get to the “French Edition” page again :exploding_head:

I chatted with Amazon support but they only repeated what’s on the webpage (i.e. that it is French). I asked whether they had additional information to support this, but they basically said they only had the same information that we can see. :woman_shrugging:

My guess would be that it is still a Japanese book, but I’d label this as “buy at your own risk” :cry:

2 Likes

Thanks for investigating!

2 Likes

By the way if anybody manages to grab hold of a Japanese paperback (not a French one :sweat_smile:) I’d be grateful for the page numbers of our breaks so that I can add them to the schedule.
Same for Kindle locations and percentages, if anybody is reading on Kindle.
Thanks!

1 Like

On the other hand, all the other info (ISBN, publisher, publication date, number of pages) refers to the Japanese edition. This is the French version and all these things are different. As you said: :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

あああああああああぁぁあああああア!!
I’ve been wanting to read that book forever.

… Okay, I will find a way to join this club despite life.

10 Likes

Have you found a way :eyes: ?

4 Likes

I’m traveling until end of September, but may still join for the last part. A shorter book club might actually suit me better than one going for 2 months+.

2 Likes

I did end up buying it btw and I can confirm it’s in Japanese.

3 Likes

Paperback
week 1 pg 44
week 2 pg 77
week 3 pg 107
week 4 pg 133?

If still needed :eyes:

3 Likes

Not sure that I’ll be able to keep up, I have a lot going on in my life right now, but I bought the ebook, and will start reading next week. ^^

3 Likes

Thank you! Will add it to the OP tomorrow.

BTW what is the number of the first page?

You’re welcome! pg 9

1 Like

Welcome to 乳と卵! Let’s head straight into week 1 - it’s the longest of the four weeks, so I hope we can fully focus on it while we’re still fresh :wink:

7 Likes

Here is week 2 already!

With this short and fast-paced book, this week will get us to the halfway mark of the whole book, and way past the halfway mark of the first story! Looking forward to hearing what you think about it :slight_smile:

4 Likes