ゆるキャン△ Vol. 9 🏕

Sooo, @Naphthalene. I’ve been waiting for you to post the participation poll so’s I can make my own post. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh god, what year is this? I completely lost track of time.

47 - 本日の晩ごはん!

Start date: August 7th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

3 Likes

This week’s chapter is… uh… the third to the fifth sixth of anime episode 11.

No motion in this chapter, so no real world locations to comment on. Don’t think they even get more than a hundred metres away from their particular site.

Page 9 and following, why are they eating with single skewers? Is this a thing they do in Japan with a particular kind of cuisine? I mean, you’d do it for fondue, but something nabe-based?

Page 14, the 甲斐 on Sensei’s wine bottle (that Nadeshiko is holding) means that it might be a product of Kai Winery, the main offices of which are in Yamanashi city not too far from Fuefuki Park, though none of the actual bottle labels on the website look anything like this one. Even if it’s not that specific a reference, it’s most likely from somewhere in Yamanashi Prefecture (i.e. the former 甲斐 province).

Page 19, in the anime, ゾンビぐらし looks like this. Think that reference is clear enough yet?

In the English manga, Nadeshiko’s screech of terror has been rearranged so that it reads horizontally instead of vertically - same symbols in the same order, just left-to-right now instead of top-to-bottom. Not sure it was entirely necessary to go to those lengths. (The anime renders it as アヒ~~~ instead, as a repeat of the earlier joke.)

Page 20, the 真夜中の紅茶 that Nadeshiko is drinking is a reference to 午後の紅茶. (For anyone wondering about the steam coming out of the can, you can buy hot canned drinks from vending machines in Japan.) Not sure what Ena is drinking - you can never see more than half the label.

3 Likes

Posting on time for once! Still more than a book behind again but eeeeh that’s how I roll camp.

48 - 早起きしまりんの抜け駆け温泉

Start date: August 14th

0 voters

2 Likes

This week’s chapter is the last sixth of anime episode 11, and the first sixth of anime episode 12 (though the cold open is either anime-original, or comes from a chapter I haven’t read yet, and the episode also omits the last three pages of this chapter).

And we’re off again!

Geospot 6 (page 29-30): Koganezaki, all of 400 metres from their campsite. In particular, Horse Rock is here. “The best sunset in all Japan” is a big claim. I might have to go there and have a look.

Geospot 7 (pages 36-40): Sawada Park. The lighthouse is here, and the bath is here. Looking at the photos on Google, the bath costs 600 yen for adults, and tickets are purchased from that hut in the car park. And as usual for sites in this area, there’s pictures of the Yuru Camp girls all over.

Page 43, the place where they stop for breakfast… uh, lunch… uh, food, is Dogashima Shokudo. Bukkake don, Tokoroten (interestingly, the anime shows Akari eating from bowls of exactly this shape, but made from white porcelain, instead of the plate she’s using here in the manga).

Geospot 8 (pages 46-49): Dogashima. I admit to some uncertainty as to the specific locations of a few of these images. The sea cave skylight is here, though. Fun fact, that’s Sawada Park on the horizon of the big panel across the bottom of 46-47.

Geospot 9? Find out next week. That said, the lower car park Sensei finds is here. Looks like there’s only three spots and a wheelchair spot anyway.

Page 44-45, the disposable chopsticks that come with the bukkake-don on page 44 turn into spoons at the top of page 45…

Page 50, it annoys me just a tad that they go “well, it’s only 600 metres, let’s walk” and then when Sensei realises there’s parking, she just goes and gets the car anyway. And then does it again. 600 metres is well within walking distance, and there’s a perfectly good footpath to use.

5 Likes

So, following the posts from @Belthazar (rather than the book), I’m starting to wonder if the anime covers all published books or something?

49 - 海の道と空の道

Start date: August 21st

0 voters

3 Likes

This week’s chapter is the second and third sixths of anime episode 12.

Geospot 9 (page 55-66): Sanshirojima and the Dogashima Tombolo.

Page 67, the Aoyagi supermarket is Food Store Aoki in Nishiizu proper.

Page 69-73, the Nishiizu Skyline road that Rin wants to ride is here.

Geospot 10 (page 74-76): Darumayama Kogen. Though the actual Darumayama seems to be all the way over here. Kinda interesting that the manga has a sign pointing to a 道の駅, because in the real world, it’s just 達磨山レストハウス.

Page 77-78, they camp at Darumayama Kogen Camping Ground.

As for which onsen they visit, who knows? It never gets shown on-screen. There’s an onsen at the Michi-no-Eki in Heda, though, a quarter-hour’s drive from the campsite, and (spoiler alert) they start off in Heda in the next chapter, sooo…

Page 62, up until this point, I honestly thought Akari was playing along with the tombolo/tonboro joke, but here, she seems genuinely surprised that Aoi was lying. Did she just keep it up for so long that she managed to convince herself that it was real?

Page 73, first panel, is Aki’s voice-over an attempt at poetry?

Page 76, I wonder if the 富士山 on the van’s number plate has been visible at any point before this page…

Page 78, love that coodinated reaction.

Proper nouns:

Page 62
像島=ぞうじま
伝兵衛島=でんべいじま
(Not sure why the island has two names. Everyone seems to write it exactly the same as it’s shown here in the book.)

Pge 64
中ノ島=なかのしま

Not mentioned in the book, but the other two islands are
沖ノ瀬島=おきのせじま
高島=たかしま

Page 75
達磨=だるま

Up to the end of this volume. Last I checked, volume 11 has been released.

5 Likes

Volume 12 as well. I only own the series up to volume 11 myself. I’ll probably buy volume 12 on paper, though. I’m still on the fence about just buying everything (or at least the volumes I haven’t read yet) on paper as well.

Yeah, I just discovered that. Also, volume 10 is coming out in English in ten days.

Shame it’s going to be at least until the end of September before I can visit Kinokuniya again…

Anybody watched the Yuru Camp live action? I finally finished season 1 and it was pretty decent.

1 Like

Yep. I’ve watched the first season and half the second season. It’s not bad, but I feel like a fair amount of Nadeshiko’s goofiness doesn’t really carry over, so she loses her appeal a bit.

I think it’s fine that way. Imo it’s the right amount of anime-to-live-action overexaggeration before it turns cringy. :sweat_smile:

50 - バースデー!

Start date: August 28th

0 voters

2 Likes

This week’s chapter is the second half of anime episode 12.

Geospot 11 (page 82-84): Mihama-misaki, though the location they’re actually standing is Deaisaki, across the water (the chapter title page is also from here, and yes, that ring is deliberately positioned to encirle Mount Fuji). Sensei describes it as being similarly-shaped to Oosezaki, which Rin visited last volume (as Nadeshiko mentions - it was Geospot 1).

Then they head back to the campsite.

The total route for day two, then, looks something like this. Total distance travelled, 101km (though only Rin did the first 20-odd kilometres, and only Sensei, Nadeshiko, Aoi and Akari did the last 20-odd kilometres - Ena and Aki only travelled sixty kilometres in total).

On the following day, they watch the sunrise from Mount Daruma, which I’ve previously linked. At the bottom of page 95, they’ve parked here - Google reckons it’s about a ten-minute walk from there to the summit. 132m gain in altitude.

I don’t have much by way of comments or questions this week, but the combo Nadeshiko is pulling off on page 106 is apparently Dhalsim’s “Yoga Flame” technique in Street Fighter II.

(Though, gripe time, Ms Tamosaitis has translated sensei’s line at the bottom of page 95 as “I’m going to watch too, so please come with us.” It’s like, did you even glance at the context of the chapter? Or did someone just give you the words and expect you to do it without the pictures? Because… that might explain a lot.)

Proper nouns:

Page 82
御浜岬=みはまみさき

So, I forgot to bring this up last week, but in the anime, rather than whether or not she believes in Santa Claus, Aoi’s criterion for judging that Akari had become an adult was her ability to distinguish cabbage from lettuce. I wonder if they didn’t want to broach the topic of Santa’s existence in a broadcast anime… (Also, instead of Aki trying to cross the tombolo from rock to rock and slipping, Akari just goes out in bare feet while they’re still deliberating.)

4 Likes

Psst, @Naphthalene. You’ve gotta get yourself caught up with this series. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

51 - 大空山はどんな色?

Start date: September 4th

0 voters

I guess? When I’m done with my current book maybe.

4 Likes

This week’s chapter is the first half of anime episode 13 (though the cold open is an extra scene, showing them descending from Mount Daruma).

The chapter starts right about here.

The Iida liquor store is Hiroi Liqor Store - aside from the exterior, the giveaway is that photos on Google Maps show the interior is filled with Yuru Camp merchandise.

Geospot 12 (page 112-121): Mount Omuro. The shot at the bottom of page 12 (and the chairlift station) is here. The Fuji-san viewing spot is here. (There’s an archery range up there. That… seems kinda weird to me.)

Page 122, the zoo they visit is Izu Shaboten Zoo - the capybara enclosure is here, while the capybara rotenburo is over here (right next to the red pandas, actually, so now I’m interested in this place). It’s so close to Mount Omuro that I’m almost confused as to why they drove there. (Zoo grounds map).

Page 109, レーズンサンド appears to be exactly what it sounds like

Page 113, heh, the last two finally got the wasabi ice cream.

Page 124, what are those faces that Aki and Nadeshiko are making in the third panel? Are they imitating something?

Page 125, Akari spent so much time selling up the capybaras over the course of this trip that I was more than half expecting them to discover that the exhibit would be closed for the season or somesuch. Somewhat relieved that it’s not. (Also, for Nadeshiko’s safety, Aoi needs to stop telling Akari and Aki not to run.)

Proper nouns:

Page 107
大室山=おおむろやま

4 Likes

Me: Done with volume 8! I’m (kinda) in time for volume 9!
Volume 9: ends (except for extra chapter)
Me: surprised pikachu face

52 - 旅の終わりに

Start date: September 11th

0 voters

3 Likes

Just did the maths for fun and we should be halfway through volume 11 or at the very beginning of volume 12 when volume 13 will come out (based on the first two publication date estimates I found through google).
That means this club will continue all the way until May 2022! (followed by a massive 6 months break, I guess, Yotsuba club vibes)

4 Likes

Triple posting to comment on the first chapter of this book, but how is Sensei okay??
She is obviously a high-functioning alcoholic, but wouldn’t drinking a lot after going cold turkey for a while be extremely dangerous? I know this is “just” a joke, but still…

Other than that, that chapter made me hungry.

Edit: reading @Belthazar’s comment, ゾンビぐらし is supposed to be a reference to something? (‘cause I don’t get it)

I think it says まじうま ココア. Hot cocoa is a staple of vending machines during winter.

1 Like