Week 5: 冷たい密室と博士たち - Doctors in Isolated Room (S&M Vol.2)

This is a spinoff of the Advanced Book Club. Join the Advanced Book Club here!

冷たい密室と博士たち - Doctors in Isolated Room (S&M Vol.2) Home Thread

Week 5

Start Date: July 24th
Previous Part: Week 4
Next Part: Week 6

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 5 July 24th Chapter 8 + 9 ~39 + ~26

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m done already! Enough stuff happening to keep me on the edge of my seat so I read it all today.

However, Moe are Saikawa are doing it again. You know, acting like they figured it all out but not telling anyone for no good reason. They should really stop doing that.

I liked this sentence: 「明確な目的はあったが具体的な目標はなかったのだ」Makes you think about the nuance between 目的 and 目標.

Another note, in chapter 9.2, I found this bit strange: 「昨夜、そこで西之園萌絵が襲われたことを、もちろん市ノ瀬はまだ知らない」The whole book (and series) is written from the point of view of various characters, even though it’s always in third person. This sub chapter is clearly from 市ノ瀬’s point of view. So I found it weird that the narrator would know something that she does not? Or am I misunderstanding something?

3 Likes

I went on a trip to Morioka last week and didn’t get around to finishing Week 4’s reading. Playing catch up now, should be back in the game soon. 申し訳ございません。

3 Likes

Nah, I think it was basically just a side note. Caught me off guard too though, hehe.

shakes fist in their direction

Chapter 9.4:

翌週の週刊誌の記事には、「三つの密室に四つの死体」という語呂(ごろ)合わせのタイトルがついた。

So this is considered a pun / play on words :thinking: Interesting

3 Likes

OMG how idiotic can a single person be? And how idiotic can multiple people be??? These were two really worrying chapters, as far as I’m concerned:

• First of all, Moe goes (again! just like in vol. 1) into the building on her own although there is a murderer running around somewhere

• Then, police don’t check the locked rooms! (which the uncle later on contritely admits, but still - don’t the police officers have brains of their own?)

• Then, Ichinose appears on the scene, is admitted into the building, and is allowed to go in on her own (!) although there is an attacker running around somewhere and although police did not properly secure all the evidence - at least not in the rooms she unlocks.

Wowow, this is not how good criminal literature works in my mind - it should not be built on the stupidity of the actors but on their ingenuity…

But anyways, while I chewed on the previous week’s reading for like a week, I managed to read this in only two days :rofl: So after all their stupidity was good for something!

6 Likes

Haha yeah I found that one surprising too. If I remember correctly, the guard does tell her to be careful… and that’s it. She then goes to explore the dark empty building on her own.

6 Likes

三つの密室 : 密 = みつ
-This pun is often used in Japan these days to describe the 3C’s (三つの密), the three things to avoid in order to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

四つの死体 : 死 = し (いち、に、さん、

5 Likes