Chapters 15 & 16

Pages 137 - 158

Start Date: 19th June
Last Week: Chapters 13 - 14
Next Week: Chapters 17 - 18

Nichijou 1

日常 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

2 Likes

The art in chapter 15 is really amazing. It was the most emotionful chapter so far.

6 Likes

Chapter 15 was awesome! 2 questions:

p. 137

The panel in which Mio gives Yuuko the notebook.

もつべきものはみおちゃんです

What does this mean? I know what all the individual grammar means, but the meaning of the sentence is beyond me.
I assume it is not “The thing that need to be brought is Mio”

p. 143

千円(せんえん)()った!!!

Does the た form not usually mean past tense? or a perfect present. Neither seem to make sense here? From context I assume she wants to buy her own notebook back, but why is the た form used here?
(also, that’s a very expensive notebook lol)

3 Likes
p137

According to bunpro you can not combine particle も with の, so もの is likely whole world and lhs of は is “the thing you should have”. Or person (think mono in 若者) and rhs is “Mio chan”.
So I think she expressed that she can rely on Mio chan. Like “you should always have someone like Mio”. At least that how I interpreted it.

p143

It’s (at least) the second time past is used for non past, first was in chapter 1 with だった.

-ta can be used as imperative, though for imperative shouldn’t there be “sell” rather “buy”? So dunno. But "2. It is associated with a feeling of urgency on the part of the speaker. " seems fit the scene, so maybe it something similar.

3 Likes

p 137
Aah so it is (もの) and not (もの). That makes a lot more sense. Your interpretation of the sentence seems to fit too.

p 143
I didn’t know it could be imperative :hushed: I looked over the pdf and interestingly it had this example (on page 8):

Yoshi kat-ta!
all right buy-PAST
‘All right, I’ll buy it!’

They list it as advance proclamation of the future realization of an action or situation, and I think that fits here too? So it is not the imperative, but rather Mio is emphasizing how much she wants to buy it? Or as you said, it emphasizes the urgency.

Thanks for the help :grin:

3 Likes

This comes from a proverb that means “A friend is a good thing to have”

持つべきものは友

But instead of 友 it uses Mio-chan, so it turns into something like “Having a friend like Mio-chan is a good thing to have” (lit. “A Mio-chan is a thing one ought to have”)

6 Likes

I fell a bit behind with Wanikani and reading clubs this week, but just caught up.

男たちの宴と共に

I found this explanation for と共に, but couldn’t make a meaning altogether.
Thinking with the other sentences does she mean something like “My youth ends together with feast of men”? I’m confused. :smiley:

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/と共に-to-tomo-ni-meaning/

1 Like

I thought it was somehow related to the picture she had drawn in the notebook. So her drawing (or what she is depicting :flushed:) is the 男たちの宴.

Edit: Since you asked about と共に, I think translating it as “together with” is correct.

4 Likes
Just noticed that running-away-Yuuko on two different pages has almost identical panels

(Yuuko is moved vertically in one panel, thus I moved her down so she matches position).

3 Likes