Week 7

Start date: 31 July
Pages: 113-130

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along :dragon:
  • I am catching up :muscle:t2:
  • I am dropping this book :person_gesturing_no:t3:

0 voters

Wow that was unexpected! While I was reading I was thinking isn’t this going to disrupt the continuity of the story? I love how they tie all together, including the comment that Raditz’s tail will lose its training if he doesn’t maintain it, and then the memory loss at the end!

I’ve been a bit quiet, but following along! Just wanted to comment before we go to a new chapter that this was the most surprising chapter so far… I am reading the original in parallel so I thought it was going to take the same direction :grinning:

2 Likes

Sounds like I need to catch up with reading the original!

Page 123

I can’t get ひとりではつらい修業もふたりでなら to make sense. Any ideas?

I actually didn’t fully grasp it either. But I thought it was something along the lines of…

(the)Training they are doing alone is as tough as training they do together… and I interpreted as a sense of continuity… They continued the strict training together (that was as strict as the one goku was doing alone).

I am not completely confident in this though!

And replying separate just to keep the topics separated.

I re-read the chapter and really enjoyed the cute story and how they tied it all together. It was a fun wink to fans of DBZ. Also, in the original Goku gets really strong really quick and there’s a time skip. So, having a little story about what happens during the time skip was a nice addition!

2 Likes

I asked on HiNative and someone posted the following translation:

The training may be hard to bear when you do it alone, but if the two were there…

If I try to make sense of the grammar with that translation in the back of my head and if I supply an ending to replace the … part, I get:

[ ひとりではつらい修業も ] ふたりでなら…
[ Even a training that is hard by yourself ], becomes easy if you’re together…

So I guess it’s what Raditz was saying as well, that if Goku hadn’t been there, he would surely have given up at some point.

1 Like

Week 8

Start date: 7 August
Pages: 131-148

0 voters

Thank you! This also makes sense if you consider the whole frame… with Goku feeling this nostalgic feeling (anyone who watches DBZ know why) and with them bonding with each other And it makes sense now that I read again with the なら… As in “if that’s case…”

Thanks!

2 Likes

I loved this week’s Frieza cameo. A very silly scene. And yay for Captain Yellow’s redemption!

Page 146

That やろうと, is that the volitional + と思う grammar point, just with the 思う left out in this case?

I think this entry in the spreadsheet is correct, btw :slight_smile:

Screenshot 2021-08-14 at 19.32.09

1 Like

Week 9

Start date: 14 August
Pages: 149-166

0 voters

1 Like

I also was uncertain about this one… I originally went with the volitional + とする (try to/attempt to) grammar, but I don’t know if you can omit the とする
https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/verb-volitionalとする

And I’ve been enjoying the last 2 chapters with the side plots and cameos, I feel like it ties everything together with DBZ and beyond… I just think it’s interesting though, that they rush through whole story arcs and then write 1.5 chapters of “fillers”. Haven’t read this week’s chapter yet, but seems like we are back to the original plot.

2 Likes

Page 146 - those were my two thoughts too, either a dropped 思う or a dropped する. I must admit I think I just read the と as “in order to” in context, but I don’t think I can back that up with a grammar point…

Chapter 37 was fun - nice to be back in the Strongest Under The Heavens! Some trickier parts which I think I generally got the gist of. I didn’t get the Resurrection F reference on page on page 151 if anyone has any insight?

I guess the joke is that he wasn’t in that film, while other members of the gang were (Son Goku, Bulma, Krillin and Master Roushi), so he’ll have to make the most of his ‘screen time’ in this comic.

Just on the off chance that this expression on page 152 was one of them… I didn’t notice it in the spreadsheet, so I thought you might have missed it (or already known it). Hope it’s helpful!

比べ物にならない 【くらべものにならない】
[adj-i,exp] cannot be compared with; no match for

1 Like

Thanks that make sense. I watched some of the movie this week and Tenshinhan says he’s deliberately not brought Yamcha or Chiaotzu as it would be suicide for them to go against Freeza’s forces. So not only left out but left out because he’s too weak!

1 Like

Bless his heart. That makes sense with SD as well, because there have been multiple digs at his strength so far :grin:

2 Likes

Ha! I feel about Yamcha as well! I came here to ask about the resurrection F as well! I never watched it.

Also, it’s good to see all the vocabulary from the last 武道会 was not useless, there were loads of repeated vocabulary with preliminaries, champion, Vice-champion, etc etc!

2 Likes

Week 10

Start date: 21 August
Pages: 167-183

0 voters

1 Like

What a great end to the book! I dare anyone not to peek at the start of book 5 to see what happens next!

I love Puar’s little outburst on page 178. And the fact that Japanese has an adverb (ばきぼき) that means “a word describing the sound of hard thick objects breaking in succession”…

On page 167 I agree with the interpretation in the spreadsheet for ドンガメ. I think it’s a pun on them being the turtle team, calling them the Chinese soft-shelled turtle team - but どん can also mean “dull” so it carries the double meaning of the “dull turtle team”.

3 Likes

I know right? I was like “whoa, whoa, lil’ guy!” :sweat_smile:

Nice observation, I hadn’t made that connection :slight_smile:

This seems to be an original addition by the SD author. Any idea why? It must be some sort of in-joke, right?

3 Likes