ドラゴンボールSD (Dragon Ball SD) · Volume 4 Discussion 🐉

Are these exchanges on page 83 and 91 meta jokes again? :thinking:

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 18.27.55

Yes, both are clever references to themselves appearing in other media.

The first panel goes:
I’m a little nervous appearing for the first time in a while.
Eh? You appeared in a movie recently so the kids haven’t forgotten you.

It presumably refers to one of the Dragon Ball Z movies released in 2014/15.

The second panel I read as:
Your way of speaking has changed a bit since your most recent appearance in Dragon Ball.
You are a well informed person Roshi-sama.

The cutaway is from Dragon Ball Minus - a special released in 2014 that was published in Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. It includes the story of Gohan finding young Goku.

I was pleased that my Japanese is good enough now to see the difference in his way of speaking between the two examples!

I spotted the exact panel in Grandpa Gohan’s wiki page

1 Like

Page 86

To get the joke you need to know that the kid in the red hat is Goku’s son Gohan as a child.

If you read Jaco the Galactic Patrolman in the English translation on the Shonen Jump app the Dragon Ball Minus Story is not there.

But looking at the Japanese version available on Book Walker it’s there as the last story in the table of contents:

We could just add it to the pile of possible spin-off book clubs of the spin-off book club :wink:

1 Like

Week 6

Start date: 24 July
Pages: 95-112

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along :dragon:
  • I am catching up :muscle:t2:
  • I am dropping this book :person_gesturing_no:t3:

0 voters

Page 97
ここであったが100年目!
Did anyone understand this sentence?

Page 112
The picture shows Pilaf’s machine in “swan mode” - with the middle pod removed (in the original the middle pod took damage so they switched to this mode).

Seems to be a fixed expression. That might explain why the grammar feels a bit off (or is that just me?).

I am puzzled by the next bit though: お前お倒し6つのボールをうばってくれる! Why is くれる used? Who is the implied subject here…?

Page 110

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 16.45.26

Who’s saying these asides? There was another one at page 95. Just some sort of authorial voice?

I’m looking forward to a new storyline next week!

I read it as Goku will do him the favour of letting him steal the Dragon Balls.

I thought this was Bulma speaking, I think that’s because it was her who reacted to Kid Gohan last time he spoke up.

Thanks for this, I hadn’t thought to search for this as a fixed expression. Out of interest what did you search for to find this link?

ここであったが百年目. It’s just what my IME made of it when I typed it.

But then wouldn’t we get a causative?

Week 7

Start date: 31 July
Pages: 113-130

0 voters

Wow that was unexpected! While I was reading I was thinking isn’t this going to disrupt the continuity of the story? I love how they tie all together, including the comment that Raditz’s tail will lose its training if he doesn’t maintain it, and then the memory loss at the end!

I’ve been a bit quiet, but following along! Just wanted to comment before we go to a new chapter that this was the most surprising chapter so far… I am reading the original in parallel so I thought it was going to take the same direction :grinning:

2 Likes

Sounds like I need to catch up with reading the original!

Page 123

I can’t get ひとりではつらい修業もふたりでなら to make sense. Any ideas?

I actually didn’t fully grasp it either. But I thought it was something along the lines of…

(the)Training they are doing alone is as tough as training they do together… and I interpreted as a sense of continuity… They continued the strict training together (that was as strict as the one goku was doing alone).

I am not completely confident in this though!

And replying separate just to keep the topics separated.

I re-read the chapter and really enjoyed the cute story and how they tied it all together. It was a fun wink to fans of DBZ. Also, in the original Goku gets really strong really quick and there’s a time skip. So, having a little story about what happens during the time skip was a nice addition!

2 Likes

I asked on HiNative and someone posted the following translation:

The training may be hard to bear when you do it alone, but if the two were there…

If I try to make sense of the grammar with that translation in the back of my head and if I supply an ending to replace the … part, I get:

[ ひとりではつらい修業も ] ふたりでなら…
[ Even a training that is hard by yourself ], becomes easy if you’re together…

So I guess it’s what Raditz was saying as well, that if Goku hadn’t been there, he would surely have given up at some point.

1 Like

Week 8

Start date: 7 August
Pages: 131-148

0 voters

Thank you! This also makes sense if you consider the whole frame… with Goku feeling this nostalgic feeling (anyone who watches DBZ know why) and with them bonding with each other And it makes sense now that I read again with the なら… As in “if that’s case…”

Thanks!

2 Likes

I loved this week’s Frieza cameo. A very silly scene. And yay for Captain Yellow’s redemption!

Page 146

That やろうと, is that the volitional + と思う grammar point, just with the 思う left out in this case?

I think this entry in the spreadsheet is correct, btw :slight_smile:

Screenshot 2021-08-14 at 19.32.09

1 Like