[Userscript] WK lesson cherry-picker

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

WK lesson cherry-picker

This userscript lets you choose which new words from your lessons pile you want to start learning.

I created this script because I use WK to learn new kanjis and to prepare for JLPT N3.
I do not intend to ever speak Japanese very well, so I feel like WK is making me learn too many words.
With this script, I can browse new lessons, check their JLPT level and other infos on jisho.org, and decide if I want to learn the word.

Requires WK open framework.
Download this script.

Here you can find a similar userscript but for kanjis instead of vocabulary.

Features

• You can click on the big “LEARN” button on the vocabulary page in order to move this specific word from the lesson to the review queue.
  • There is also a button that redirects you to the jisho.org page for this word, so that you can see the JLPT level and complete definition of the word.

Installation instructions

1. Install the script.
  2. Generate an API token from this page in WK settings with assignments:start permission.
  3. Go to any vocabulary page that is in your lesson queue.
  4. Click the LEARN button.
  5. Input the token when asked for it. It is stored in WK Open Framework local db so you will have to do it only once.

There should be no bugs at least with Tampermonkey, on Brave browser (Chromium), on Win10. Please tell me if you find any.

7 Likes

This is a dangerous tool. :sweat_smile:

Indeed, but not having it may be even more dangerous! If I had not created it, I would probably have stopped using WK altogether. It felt very boring to me to have to learn new words in a fixed order without necessarily any desire to do so, and to be blocked in my progress if I don’t.

3 Likes

Right when I was looking for a tool like this !
(I’m considering to keep learning Kanji and quit learning Vocabulary on WK at lv 30 :slight_smile:)
Thanks a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the script! I think it would be even more helpful if it allowed to cherry pick radicals and kanji :3

1 Like

You’re welcome! I didn’t add this functionality because you have to learn all the radicals and kanjis anyway to unlock the next level.
I modified a few lines of code and made this version, which works with kanjis (not with vocabulary though, so keep both activated). I have no new kanjis to learn for now so I couldn’t test it, tell me if it doesn’t work.

1 Like

Ohhh thank you so much! I don’t have kanji ro learn either rn in two days I’ll probably get new ones thought. So I’ll tell you whether it works afterwards!

Alright so I tried it today and it does work indeed. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this script! Got a bit burried in vocab lessons and it really helps being able to pick the ones for kanji I struggle with first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Encountering an error that I’m not sure is on my end or not. It affects 3 scripts so I’m posting it on each of their pages in the hopes that someone will be able to fix it for me. Though this is the most recent of the three so maybe this is the best place.

Pitch Info, Cherry Picker, and Hide Context Sentences all fail to load/work correctly when I load up a vocabulary page. Here’s the console errors:

Sometimes I look at Tampermonkey and see that they’re not even showing up in the list of scripts on the page, othertimes they show up but seem to do nothing. Any ideas?

WK has been removing jQuery on some of their pages. The script authors need to update their scripts to load it. This can be done through WKOF by adding “Jquery” to the loaded modules

Hmm I don’t quite know how to do that. Can you lead me through it?

For this one you should just need to add , Jquery to the modules variable on line 29

1 Like

here?

Oh no, in this script. Not in WKOF itself, but to the part of this script that uses wkof

So like this? It didn’t seem to have an effect when I reloaded the page

Yep, but I’m pretty sure that it has to be a lowercase Q (but still uppercase J)

1 Like

I’m dumb for not copying exactly, but that still didn’t do anything on my end.

You might need to update wkof then

Edit: actually I can see in your previous screenshot that you don’t. The script should work after adding jquery. Remember to refresh the page

At least it should resolve any $ being undefined issues

Oh that’s from the other script (and hide context sentences doesn’t use wkof). The console error for cherry-picker is

Interestingly enough I notice when I hard reload (ctrl-shift-r) it doesn’t load any scripts. That might be how that works though, idk enough.

1 Like