Chapters 7 - 9

Pages 63 - 96

Start Date: 22nd May
Last Week: Chapter 6
Next Week: Chapter 10

Nichijou 1

日常 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

2 Likes
ch 7

Haiku parts seems fun. 最上川 reminds haiku that ends with “refrigerator”

I completely dont understand whats going on in last wall of text about principal
(もしかしたらさっきまで死闘を演じた勇者たちに敬意を表したかったのかもしれない)

もしかしたらXかもしれない is means perhaps X

so it leaves us with さっきまで死闘を演じた勇者たちに敬意を表したかったの

表したかった - wanted to express and it’s transitive.
敬意 - respect/honor

So far we have something-something wanted to express honor.

さっきまで死闘を演じた勇者たちに

In reverso context we have 勇者に敬意 を払いなさい as “Pay honor to the brave/hero”

So have something-something wanted to express honor to the brave heroes

死闘を演じた seems like “played a part in mortal combat”, so putting it all together we have
“Perhaps wanted to express honor to heroes who fought in deadly fight”.

So what’s this about?

ETA: Okay, found a clip on youtube. There it was stated that these heroes are deer and principal, which doesn’t make much sense as she didn’t express anything in the end.

Chapter 9 was a freeby, chapter 8 has some very small kanji, I left it for later

3 Likes
chapter 8

What’s that stylized kana that looks like 12?
is it ロ?

4 Likes

Chapter 7 is easily my favorite chapter so far! I breezed through, laughing out loud at so many panels. A big change-up from the previous chapter which had me stumbling to the finish.

4 Likes
I'm stuck on that panel as well

Are you thinking it might be ロ because it might makes sense that she is saying, “you’re a clown, a terrible clown!!!”?
ピエ* doesn’t leave other results that fit the picture for me.

1 Like

I think most people found these chapters easier (well, especially chapter 9 :D) looking at how empty this discussion this week. I found this Wikipedia article below that helped me to understand the haiku parts in chapter 7.

9 Likes

Yes, it also aligns with a stroke order if you were to draw it in one swoop

and it’s recognized by IME pad
image (though yesterday it wasn’t in top 3)

OTOH I definitely remember seeing it in Raku’s Minecraft ゆっくりLP and there normally a circle is used for ロ, and I remember spending half hour checking all sorts of ゐ but probably also used weird font

5 Likes

Why are Aioi’s hands so big!?!

3 Likes
about ch. 7

I think Yuuko is talking about herself.
I mean that she is the subject of the sentence. So the person that wanted to express something is Yuuko.

死闘を演じた勇者たち

The hero’s, that acted/performed a mortal combat.
Since the principal and the deer were the only one’s doing something like that, they would have to be the “hero’s”.

So with the sentence before it turns into something like:

It’s not like explaining things would be bothersome,
maybe I wanted to express respect to the hero’s that performed a mortal combat.

So this sentence is still her giving an excuse as to why she didn’t tell anyone what she saw.

I only started reading today, but I agree that the chapters weren’t that difficult. Perhaps because Sasahara wasn’t there :joy:

7 Likes

Anime Chapters
Ch 7: E6 7:02
Ch 8: E5 6:50
Ch 9: E17 6:30

5 Likes

I haven’t reached this part, but it looks like み to me.

1 Like

Connections look wrong for that.

It seems to be stylized to mimic writing with a brush(筆)

Especially it matches the right part of kanji: vertical stroke, one swooshy stroke that ends just before vertical stroke and horizontal stroke. (and differences between small 口 and normal ロ are non existent)

3 Likes

Also, given the Kana before, it would make more sense for it to be in katakana.
I think ピエロ (= clown) was suggested by @liveunderwater, and I can’t really think of anything else that could fit either.

3 Likes

Anyone have any trouble with Chapter 9? No? Ok, just making sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I filled the vocab sheet for chapter 9. I hope it helped someone!

10 Likes

With enough reading, you’ll see this ロ come up from time to time.

I got lucky that my first encounter with this kana styling involved a character name シャロ, making it easy for me to figure out. Otherwise I probably would have been completely lost.

Rabbit Page 60 1-1

3 Likes

Same here! Using DeepL to work through the pieces I didn’t get, but I was taking in the meaning pretty easily even if I didn’t understand everything. Great chapter :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes