WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Hi everyone! :wave:

We have lots of lovely new content to add to WaniKani, starting Thursday, April 29. The plan is to add a small number of new members to the family each week, to keep things manageable for lessons and reviews. Depending on feedback, we might speed up the additions a little, or slow them down if itโ€™s getting too much.

Weโ€™ll probably hide some items too, either because theyโ€™re really obscure, or because we have lots of other (more useful) words to practice a particular kanji reading. Weโ€™ll give plenty of notice before hiding anything though.

As with all our previous content additions, there wonโ€™t be any site downtime, and you donโ€™t need to do anything extra to get the new items. They will simply appear in your lessons if you are on the level of the item or above.

This is our tentative schedule for the additions. Weโ€™ll keep updating it as the new content is published!

Thursday, April 29 - Published

The following vocabulary additions are to consolidate existing single-kanji vocabulary readings, and to help new users get the hang of the difference between kanji and vocabulary.

Thursday, May 6 - Published

These vocabulary additions are all part of transitivity pairs. We already teach the other half of the pair.

Thursday, May 20 - Published

These vocabulary additions are also completing transitivity pairs.

Thursday, May 27 - Published

These additions are also completing transitivity pairs.

Thursday, June 3 - Published

These are the final transitivity pair additions.

Thursday, June 10 - Published

Radical

Kanji

• Level 40: ้บบ (ใ‚ใ‚“) - noodles

Vocabulary

Thursday, June 17 - Published

Kanji

• Level 30: ๆŸต (ใ•ใ) - fence
  • Level 40: ๆ‹‰ (ใ‚‰) - abduct

Vocabulary

Thursday, June 24 - Published

Kanji

• Level 14: ่‹บ (ใ„ใกใ”) - strawberry
  • Level 33: ่‚ก (ใ“) - crotch

Vocabulary

Thursday, July 1 - Published

Kanji

• Level 14: ็‹ผ (ใŠใŠใ‹ใฟ) - wolf
  • Level 38: ๅ™› (ใ‹) - bite

Vocabulary

• Level 14: ็‹ผ (ใŠใŠใ‹ใฟ) - wolf
  • Level 14: ็‹ผ็”ท (ใŠใŠใ‹ใฟใŠใจใ“) - werewolf
  • Level 38: ๅ™›ใ‚€ (ใ‹ใ‚€) - to bite

Thursday, July 8 - Published

Kanji

• Level 34: ๅ’ณ (ใ›ใ) - cough

Vocabulary

Thursday, July 29 - Published

Kanji

• Level 18: ่‹› (ใ„ใ˜) - frustration
  • Level 35: ๆˆš (ใ›ใ) - relatives
  • Level 42: ้ค… (ใ‚‚ใก) - mochi

Vocabulary

Thursday, August 5 - Published

Radical

Kanji

• Level 38: ็’ง (ใธใ) - disc
  • Level 47: ็…Ž (ใ›ใ‚“) - roast

Vocabulary

Thursday, August 12 - Published

Kanji

• Level 23: ็—’ (ใ‹ใ‚†) - itchy
  • Level 33: ๅฑ (ใธ) - flatulence

Vocabulary

Thursday, August 19 - Published

Kanji

• Level 60: ๅ†ฅ (ใ‚ใ„) - underworld

Vocabulary

Moved

• Level 6: ๆตท็Ž‹ๆ˜Ÿ (ใ‹ใ„ใŠใ†ใ›ใ„) - moved up to level 7.
  • Level 6: ๆตท (ใ†ใฟ) - moved up to level 9.
  • Level 6: ๆ˜Ÿ (ใปใ—) - moved up to level 9.

Thursday, August 26 - Published

Kanji

• Level 55: ๅ‹ฟ (ใ‚‚ใก) - must not

Vocabulary

Moving

• Level 2: ๅˆ (kanji) - moving up to level 51.
  • Level 2: ๅˆ - moving up to level 51.

Hiding

• Level 12: ๆ‚ชๅฅณ (ใ‚ใใ˜ใ‚‡) - This word is very uncommon, and we have a lot of other words to practice these readings of ๆ‚ช and ๅฅณ. If it were to crop up, it would also be easy to figure out the meaning from the kanji.

Thursday, September 2 - Published

Vocabulary

Moving

• Level 33: ็ ‚ (ใ™ใช) - moving up to level 36

Hiding

• Level 17: ๆ€งๆ„› (ใ›ใ„ใ‚ใ„) - Although ๅŒๆ€งๆ„› and ็•ฐๆ€งๆ„› are common, ๆ€งๆ„› by itself is very uncommon. We also have a lot of other words to practice these readings of ๆ€ง and ๆ„›.
  • Level 19: ๅ€Ÿ่ฒก (ใ—ใ‚ƒใใ–ใ„) - This word is obscure, and we have enough other words to practice these readings of ๅ€Ÿ and ่ฒก.

Thursday, September 9 - Published

Vocabulary

Moving

• Level 18: ๅ…ฌๅ‘Š (ใ“ใ†ใ“ใ) - moving up to level 50

Hiding

• Level 34: [่–ๆ—ฅ] (ใ›ใ„ใ˜ใค) - this word is obscure, and we have enough other words to practice these readings of ่– and ๆ—ฅ.
  • Level 36: [่ถ…้Ÿณ้€Ÿ] - this word is obscure, and we have enough other words to practice these readings of ่ถ…, ้Ÿณ, and ้€Ÿ.

Thursday, September 16 - Published

Vocabulary

Thursday, September 23 - Published

Vocabulary

Moving

• Level 57: ๆฌพ (kanji) - moving up to level 60 to reflect how advanced and uncommon it is.
  • Level 57: ๅฎšๆฌพ (ใฆใ„ใ‹ใ‚“) - moving up to level 60 to reflect how advanced and uncommon it is.
  • Level 57: ็ด„ๆฌพ (ใ‚„ใฃใ‹ใ‚“) - moving up to level 60 to reflect how advanced and uncommon it is.

Hiding

• Level 57: ๅ€Ÿๆฌพ (ใ—ใ‚ƒใฃใ‹ใ‚“) - this word is very uncommon, and we have enough other words to practice the readings of ๅ€Ÿ and ๆฌพ.

Thursday, September 30 - Published

Vocabulary

• Level 34: ้‡Œ่Š‹ (ใ•ใจใ„ใ‚‚) - taro
  • Level 58: ่…ๅŽŸ (ใ™ใŒใฏใ‚‰, ใ™ใŒใ‚ใ‚‰) - Sugahara, Sugawara
  • Level 58: ้…Œ (ใ—ใ‚ƒใ) - pouring alcohol
  • Level 58: ้…Œ้‡ (ใ—ใ‚ƒใใ‚Šใ‚‡ใ†) - making allowances
  • Level 59: ่ฉ ๆญŒ (ใˆใ„ใ‹) - poem
  • Level 59: ่ฉ ๅ˜† (ใˆใ„ใŸใ‚“) - exclamation

Moving

• Level 58: ๆผฃ (kanji) - moving up to level 60 to reflect how advanced and uncommon it is.

Hiding

• Level 58: ๅช’้…Œ - this word is obscure, we have enough other words to practice this reading of ๅช’, and weโ€™ve added ้…Œ and ้…Œ้‡ to practice this reading of ้…Œ.

Thursday, October 7 - Published

Vocabulary

Hiding

• Level 5: ้‡Œๅฟƒ - this word is very old-fashioned and rarely used these days, and weโ€™ve added ไบบ้‡Œ and ้‡Œ่Š‹ to cover the ใ•ใจ (and ใ–ใจ) readings of ้‡Œ.
  • Level 18: ๅฏๅˆ† (ใ‹ใถใ‚“) - this is an obscure technical word, and we have lot of other words to practice these readings.

Thursday, October 14 - Published

Kanji

• Level 25: ่Žซ (ใฐใ) - greenhouse

Vocabulary

Moving

• Level 31: ็ตŒ่ทฏ (ใ‘ใ„ใ‚) - moving down to level 20, as this is a common word, and both kanji are available by level 20.

Hiding

• Level 41: ๅŽŸๆฝœ (ใ’ใ‚“ใ›ใ‚“) - this is uncommon, and we have enough other words to practice these readings.

Thursday, November 4 - Published

Kanji

Vocabulary

Thursday, November 11 - Published

Vocabulary

Thursday, November 18 - Published

Vocabulary

Moving

• Level 60: ๅ›š (kanji) - moving down to level 39 as it is very simple visually, and the related vocabulary is reasonably common.
  • Level 60: ๅ›šไบบ (ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใ˜ใ‚“) - moving down to level 39.
  • Level 60: ๆญปๅˆ‘ๅ›š (ใ—ใ‘ใ„ใ—ใ‚…ใ†) - moving down to level 39.

Thursday, November 25 - Published

Vocabulary

Moving

• Level 32: ๅ‚ทใ‚ใ‚‹ (ใ„ใŸใ‚ใ‚‹) - moving up to level 36 to allow ็—›ใ‚ใ‚‹ to become established first.

Thursday, December 2 - Published

Vocabulary

Moving

• Level 7: spear (radical) - moving up to level 21 to match the level of the first kanji (ๅ‹™) containing this radical.

Thursday, December 9 - Published

Vocabulary

As always, weโ€™d love to hear your feedback, either in the comments below or by email: hello@wanikani.com. :crocodile::crab::two_hearts:

381 Likes

Lots of new fun stuff! Thank you for adding it!

40 Likes

Well I guess itโ€™s not that many moreโ€ฆ

20 Likes

Oh, this is great!

15 Likes

Iโ€™m getting the urge to unburn the part of the pair that is already on WaniKani so I can review both items of the pair at the same time, but thatโ€™s literally the opposite of the intention of what the WaniKani team has been working on with these transitivity pair updates :joy:

30 Likes

Itโ€™s great to have new content. I wouldnโ€™t remove existing content as many people already have it in their review pipeline and it would be a waste to lose it as they have already put some effort into learning it. Maybe it should be removed only for new members?

30 Likes

I think this is great! :grin: The transitivity-intransitivity verb pairs were always a weak-point for me, so Iโ€™m looking forward to cramming these when you release them! book_durtle

And to be honest, Iโ€™ve missed doing WK-lessons! :joy:

aN9JwfJCgBwxuGz9gpG89i-320-80

33 Likes

Love these :sparkling_heart: Looking forward to see what kind of change this makes to peopleโ€™s experience in the Pleasant levels.

10 Likes

:fire::fire::fire:

Thatโ€™s all.

35 Likes

Thatโ€™s a good point but weโ€™re not currently able to remove items for specific members unfortunately :frowning:

11 Likes

It would be nice if hidden items could still be reviewed. Although, I assume that is something that was discussed when items started getting hidden

17 Likes

I know itโ€™s not related to these content additions, but could you add โ€œtangleโ€ to the blocklist for ็ตž? I donโ€™t have direct proof, but I just got a report that somebody legitimately believed this was the meaning of that kanji and (incorrectly) got it right.

Thank you Jerry@Joeni

4 Likes

Hey Jenny :grin:

I donโ€™t have anything to contribute to the thread but Iโ€™ll always say hi :raising_hand_man: .

I do have an idea about something else though Iโ€™d like to run by you guys, Is it ok if I flesh it out then send it as an email to the hello@wanikani one :slight_smile: ?

4 Likes

Thank you @TofuguJenny and @Kumirei! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for the quality updates Team :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you as always, Jenny! Some great additions!

5 Likes

Guess there now something else for me to consider when trying to get to my 0/0 every levelโ€ฆ

3 Likes

Added โ€œtangleโ€!

6 Likes

Yes, please do! :heart:

5 Likes

Okay will do! Iโ€™m in the middle of moving at the moment so Iโ€™ll send it through in a few days but itโ€™ll be there for sure!

2 Likes