Book One Chapter 24: 天吾:ここではない世界であることの意味はどこにあるのだろう Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84

Welcome to the chapter 24 thread!
Refer to the Home Thread for the schedule and links to specific threads.

Content Warnings

This story contains themes of an adult and/or sensitive nature, including cults, sex, murder, and sexual abuse of children, both mentioned, and graphic (though not until Book 2, in the latter case).

Discussion Rules (shamefully stolen off the regular book clubs)
  • Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

第24章:天吾:ここではない世界であることの意味はどこにあるのだろう

Start Date: 25.04.2021
Previous: Chapter 23
Next: Book 2 Chapter 1

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

This book managed to pull me in so much more than the first half of book 1. I loved the little details that slowly built a connection between our two protagonists, and getting to know them better.

Chapter spoilers

In this chapter specifically, I really enjoyed 天吾’s interactions with his 年上のガールフレンド, and ふかえり’s tape. He finally took a bit of a stand with 小松 by not telling him about it, too. :slight_smile:

I wonder what effect his talk about the book he’s writing with his girlfriend will have on what he writes, or how he writes, if any. Hopefully she keeps pestering him so we find out more about that, too!

If he uses that book to rewrite the past to his liking… are these changes all things he wishes would have happened? How is he connected to them…?

:flushed:

1 Like