Book One Chapter 23: 青豆:これは何かの始まりに過ぎない Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84

Welcome to the chapter 23 thread!
Refer to the Home Thread for the schedule and links to specific threads.

Content Warnings

This story contains themes of an adult and/or sensitive nature, including cults, sex, murder, and sexual abuse of children, both mentioned, and graphic (though not until Book 2, in the latter case).

Discussion Rules (shamefully stolen off the regular book clubs)
  • Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

第23章:青豆:これは何かの始まりに過ぎない

Start Date: 18.04.2021
Previous: Chapter 22
Next: Chapter 24 - last chapter!

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

Nooo, not ブン! :sob:

Little people came out of that girl’s body and grew - is this what happens when they grow inside a body? Can they? :scream:

And what’s with that foreshadowing that 青豆 and あゆみ won’t be getting together like this again? I like their combi~ Also, what does this even mean? That they’re not gonna be getting together to hunt men, or that they’re going to be acting solo from here on, or that something is about to happen?

1 Like

Wait what :joy: I really can’t situate where you are in the story. Everything you just said sounds weird.

1 Like
Summary

My name weakness struck again - I don’t even notice while I’m writing these things, but looking over it - I did not mean ふかえり, but the girl in the old lady’s safe house, of course.

There was a scene a couple chapters ago where the madam spent the night in the girls room, and while they both slept, little people came out of the girl’s mouth, grew, and started gathering something, or knitting something…?

This chapter, the dog died, scattered in pieces everywhere, like a bomb had gone off inside his stomach.

Now maybe that’s exactly what happened, but my mind can’t help but search for a connection to the little people everywhere. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A 空気さなぎ, wasn’t it? But anyway, yes, I think they killed the dog with that. I think I remember why, but that might be spoiler.

1 Like

Not the spinach loving german shepherd! :cry:

1 Like