[Userscript] Review hint button

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

A Simple script I made at the weekend. Hover to reveal a part of reading/meaning, click to show more letters.
Enabled only during reviews.

Greasyfork link: WaniKani Hint Button

4 Likes

Hmm. Sounds like a bad idea to me. But still neat.

10 Likes

There’s no demand that one HAS to use it. We all learn in different ways.

1 Like

We do learn in different ways, but giving yourself part of the answer is not good for learning regardless of approach. If you see the word in the wild you won’t get a hint like this unless you paste it into a dictionary

10 Likes

You recognize that there are different ways to learn, but then immediately dismiss that this method is not good regardless. We’re all kind of self-teachers on here for the most part. A good teacher recognizes strengths and weaknesses and caters to them so that we can get better. (i.e. sometimes one needs a little extra help at first) Again, the judgement is for you to decide yourself.

1 Like

Well, to be honest not too much of a fan. If you didn’t need a hint to get it correct, this functionality isn’t needed. If you did need it to get it correct, it gives a false sense of progress as you didn’t really know the answer. It’s really tempting to be used at longer intervals like enlightened, but especially there being harsh is important I feel.

Everyone’s free to use it of course, but I don’t think I’ll ever.

9 Likes

Hey Jiftoo, Thanks for taking the time to program this extension and sharing it with us. Don’t be discouraged though. I like it. :grinning:

2 Likes

I totally agree, but the main purpose I had in mind is to provide help with English meanings of kanji and vocab. While there are usually two to three kana characters forming an item and showing even the first one is equivalent to revealing the whole meaning, it’s a different situation when it comes to meanings. As a non-native English speaker, I’ve had trouble remembering complex and ‘rare’ words like “loiter”, “metropolis” etc. Revealing the first letter or a small part of the answer helped me a lot in the past to memorize the word and associate it with the quizzed item. Since I mostly use Flaming Durtles, it was as simple as using my finger to cover the answer.

3 Likes

I think it is a way of it letting you reconnect the dots as to how you have gotten that answer in the first place. That being said, for the purposes of the review, it should still be marked wrong, since you need more work in retaining that piece of information.

1 Like

Wonderful usercript, good job!

:+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I’ll try this out. I think getting a nudge towards the right answer and (manually) failing lowering the SRS interval is more constructive, than just failing lowering the SRS interval and being given the answer after the fact, especially for leeches, since you get to use the mnemonic process to recall the answer yourself. I think a version or option that automatically fails lowers the SRS interval would be usefully accessible to more people, but for anyone responsibly using Double-Check it’s all the same.

EDIT: I was thinking this would reveal the explanation, not the answer itself. I don’t really see any benefit to this.

4 Likes

Yeah, I think it is great under the condition that the answer is marked as wrong when it is used, as it is still a greater level of recall than reading the answer. Perhaps, it can only be available after one gets it wrong.

2 Likes