シメジシミュレーション Vol. 2 🍄

Yeah, that sounds plausible. I’ll keep an eye out for it from now on :+1:

1 Like

looks like it’s even more subtle than I thought, and depends on stuff like empathy and uchi/soto as well :sweat_drops:

7 Likes

For what it’s worth Dictionary of Japanese Grammar breaks it down like this. So maybe 犬たち (technically) isn’t even a proper formation? :joy:

5 Likes

Between this and 日常 you’ve sent me down a highly interesting and questionably useful Imabi rabbit hole.

1 Like

glad to hear it. have fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Chapter 19: 穴ほり機

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll

• I’m reading along

• I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet

0 voters

2 Likes

I love that last panel! I think I know where we are going in the next chapter…

Having managed to understand the parts about thermodynamics, I feel a bit embarrassed that I didn’t really get what happens at the end of the first page - page 97:

The conversation goes: Today we are going to build a perpetual motion machine. What’s a perpetual motion machine? It’s an engine that moves for ever. I see.

Then big sister (I think) says - With that, do you understand?

Majime then says: えっ違うの?
Shimeji replies: 合ってるよ

How did others understand those last two sentences? I presume Majime is saying, “Er…no?” but not sure what Shimeji’s response means. Perhaps “that fits” or “that’s correct”?

1 Like

Not very confident myself, but my interpretation is that the conversation goes like this:

• Today we are going to build a perpetual motion machine
  • What’s a perpetual motion machine?
  • It’s a machine that perpetually moves
  • Oh, I see!
  • それで納得するのか (You are satisfied with that explanation!?)
  • えっ違うの? (Eh? Is that not what a perpetual motion machine is?)
  • あってるよ (It is).

I believe the joke here is that Yomikawa’s explanation of a Perpetual Motion Machine just uses the same words “Perpetual” “Motion” “Machine” - it doesn’t really explain much. However Majime for some reason seems to be satisfied with such explanation, which surprises the others. Majime misunderstands this surprise, and thinks she has failed to understand some part of the explanation.

6 Likes

I have two questions.

What to make of この世界の原理に on page 99? And what to make of 自分で掘りたいんなら自分で掘るって言うでしょ on page 109? In both cases I understand vocab and grammar and still don’t know what it means :grin:

1 Like

Page 99 - I read この世界の原理に… as big sister continuing her science talk. Just a fragment of a sentence - “The fundamental truths of this world…”

Page 109 - They are discussing why teacher seems dispirited, and consider it’s because she doesn’t have a hole to dig any more (the machine is doing all the work). Shimeji feels bad for asking her big sister to help, but remembers teacher had said “どうしても” - do whatever it takes.

Majime replies - 自分で掘りたいんなら自分で掘るって言うでしょ. I read this as: “If you want to dig it yourself, then maybe say, ‘I’ll dig it myself’”

4 Likes

It’s the Final Week!!

Chapter 20: 地球ドーナツ

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll

• I’m reading along

• I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet

0 voters

2 Likes

Interesting last chapter with the usual amount of weirdness. It seems we won’t have any more 穴掘り部 after this, so I’m looking forward to what they’ll focus on next!

Can anyone read the kanji after 庭 in page 131? Is it 庭師?

2 Likes

Looks like it to me as well.

And wow, this was a wild ride. There was a lot of science talk towards the end, but I somehow got through it.

I’m super intrigued by the physics of this place, and what 白いおまわりさん’s role is.

3 Likes

Well now that all y’all have finished, I’ve finally managed to get my hands on a copy, so I guess I’ll start following along behind. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

It’s worth it! It’s been a wonderful manga. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I went for 庭師 (gardener) too, presumably referring to 白いおまわりさん. As alluded to by Shimeji she appears prominently back in chapter 7, but reading again I don’t think that gave us any more insight into who she is.

The picture on page 128 reminded me of Malagueta beach in Malaga…

Summary

Chapter 25 appeared in Comic Cune this month so hopefully we will get a volume 3 towards the end of the year!

Summary

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 23.21.07

4 Likes

Ooh, nice! Something to look forward too! :partying_face:

1 Like

Ooh that would be great, I’m really enjoying this series :smiley:

3 Likes

Le bump

Alrighty. Caught up by five chapters. :slightly_smiling_face:

Fixed that t-shirt for you.

8 Likes

And finished!

So, uh… yeah. That was a thing. (One idly wonders whether the flounder/concrete engine provides a greater motive force than the cat/buttered-toast engine.)

The Truman Show reference in chapter 17 was a surprise. And it vaguely gets touched on in dialogue, but in chapter 18, all of those 陶ナツ are topologically identical. One wonders if Sensei is digging to Brazil in order to turn the Earth itself into such a figure…

Chapter 20, the book discusses the equations necessary to solve for the depth of the hole, but (perhaps not entirely surprisingly) doesn’t actually work through the problem. The solution is as follows:

(in David Tennant voice) Physics, physics, physics

The three equations are:

(1) h = 1/2 g t1²
(2) h = t2 V
(3) T = t1 + t2

T is the variable that we’re measuring, and h is what we want to find, so we need to eliminate t1 and t2. We do this by rearranging equations (1) and (2) to make t the subject, and substitute into (3).

So (1) becomes: t1 = √(2h/g)
And (2) becomes t2 = h/V

So (3) becomes T = √(2h/g) + h/V

With a great deal of rearranging and quadratic equations and substituting in known values for g and V, we eventually get

h = (-75.5424 + 169.492√(0.2039+0.118 T))²

With various assumptions like there’s no air resistance on the rock, gravity is constant, the speed of sound doesn’t change as the hole gets deeper, and so forth. All of them fairly poor assumptions when you’re talking about drilling a hole clean through the planet.

Fun fact for page 118: if the Earth weren’t six thousand degrees at the core, and if the characters weren’t slowed by air resistance, and if the Brazil end of the hole isn’t on top of a mountain or something, then they would arrive at Brazil pretty much exactly as depicted in Majime’s imagination - moving slow enough to simply hop out of the hole.

7 Likes