シメジシミュレーション Vol. 2 🍄

Volume 2 Discussion Thread :mushroom:

Start Date: 27th March 2021
Previous: Volume 1 Final Week

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 09.58.03

シメジシミュレーション Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Reading Schedule

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
March 27th 11 5 - 16 12
April 3rd 12 17 - 28 12
April 10th 13 29 - 36 8
April 17th 14 37 - 48 12
April 24th 15 49 - 60 12
May 1st 16 61 - 72 12
May 8th 17 73 - 84 12
May 15th 18 85 - 96 12
May 22nd 19 97 - 112 16
May 29th 20 113 - 131 19

Purchasing

eBook: Book Walker | Kobo | Kindle
Physical: CD Japan | Amazon

10 Likes

Participants Poll

Are you planning to read volume 2?
  • Yes :mushroom:
  • No :fish:

0 voters

1 Like

Chapter 11 thread is up.
As requested, keeping this to one thread, chapter 11 participation poll below.

1 Like

Oooh, I was just thinking to do the one thread for the whole volume? Might keep the conversation a bit more condensed.

2 Likes

Chapter 11: いろいろな人

March 27th

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll

• I’m reading along

• I’m planning to read volume 2 but haven’t started yet

0 voters

3 Likes

Nice to get back into this again. There’s definitely room in my life for more of this surreal manga!

Page 7 - I’m not sure what the teacher is trying to say when she says: 先生は先生なんだからしっかりしてください

Page 10, bottom right panel. I wasn’t sure what to make of this pose. Perhaps a reference to something I’m not familiar with?

2 Likes

its majime saying that in response to the teacher right?

4 Likes

Ah yes, second speech bubble in that panel is Majime, not Mogawa. So maybe Majime is saying, “since you are a teacher, do it properly please…”

2 Likes

yeah that was how I understood it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having a hard time making sense of the conversation going on here

Page 12

I’m not sure what しめじちゃん is referring to. My best guess is that she is asking if it shouldn’t be up to the individual to wear whatever they want? And the teacher then replies that’s what they’re discussing?

And why do they apologize in the last panel? Is the teacher blaming them for setting a trend or something?

does it help if I say that 各担任 means “each homeroom teacher”?

my interpretation of those two panels

あーこの紙か
ah this form

こういうのって普通に各担任がやればいいんじゃないですか
isn’t it better for each homeroom teacher to (hand these out) as usual?

それが職員室も一枚岩じゃないからなー
that is because…the staff room isn’t a united group
認める認めないでモメてるし
we’re disagreeing on whether we should or not…

I think he’s blaming them (and the other students involved) for causing all this hassle

6 Likes

Ohh that makes much more sense! I thought the change of topic was too weird :rofl:

1 Like

I agree with this. I interpreted 一枚岩 (large slab of rock) as being a metaphor. The staff room is not one large slab of rock, it’s composed of lots of teachers with different thoughts and opinions.

2 Likes
Tag yourself. I'm

the girl with the “sunburn”. This was a fun chapter! Shimeji and Majime are not the only two weird ones. Everyone is weird (by our standards), so the MCs are actually quite normal in their weirdness.

Regarding 一枚岩, it’s the same metaphor we use in English: “[any culture, subculture, or group] is not a monolith. It is made up of different people who think and feel different things.” That’s really neat.

4 Likes

It feels so good to get back to this! I was missing this sort of humor in my life. It was interesting to learn that Shimejime might not be as uniquely weird in this world as we thought.

1 Like

Chapter 12: いろいろな言葉

April 3rd

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll

• I’m reading along

• I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet

0 voters

2 Likes

I am a bit late to the party, sorry about that!

Page 7

Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 12.27.37

What is (?) meant to convey? Is it a ‘fill in the blanks’ sort of thing? If so, what are we supposed to mentally fill in there?

OK, I have not read that far, but grammatically speaking, it would be が I guess? So maybe the teacher is telling them to speak properly in terms of grammar? (I’m sure this will be totally off :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:)

Is it a joke, emphasising her lack of コミュ力 by putting in a ? rather than the correct particle?

1 Like

My interpretation that the “?” is marking this as 先生 making up a new word on the spot. I believe this is not the particle か, but rather the kanji 力 (りょく) ( “communication power/ability” by shortening the コミュニケーション that she used in the previous panel and adding the generic suffix 力 )

6 Likes