やがて君になる -- Bloom into you Vol. 1 (Book club)

Welcome to the やがて君になる Vol. 1 bookclub.

220px-Yagate_Kimi_ni_Naru_manga_volume_1_ASCII_Media_Works_cover

Where to buy

Amazon JP | Bookwalker | Verasia (physical copy only)

Word lists

Koohi | Kitsun SRS deck

Schedule

Reading schedule
Vol. 1

Date
Chapter 1 15 March
Chapter 2 22 March
Chapter 3 29 March
Chapter 4 5 April
Chapter 5 12 April

Discussion

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member list

Are you planning on reading やがて君になる(1) with the book club?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Yes, but maybe at a slower pace
  • No

0 voters

Further volumes

Volume 2 thread

9 Likes

i feel like i’m jumping in at the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim, but i really need to start reading, and i enjoyed the anime, so… last night i spent like 3 hours setting up an amazon.co.jp account, and i’ve got volume one on my kindle reader. i’ll be looking up a lot of stuff, but here goes :smiley:

(this is my first bookclub btw, i hope i’m not doing anything wrong)

7 Likes

Hi, welcome! My first book club too (both in terms of partaking and organising)! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I have to look up more or less every second word, but I like the story and the anime ended with book five and I need to know what happened. > not really a spoiler, just saying where the anime ended in relation to the books. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t think my time would be well spent actually rereading the series since I already read it in Japanese in 2019, but I’m going to try to follow the threads and join the conversation and help where I can.

6 Likes

That would be great!

3 Likes

Is it too advanced?

I just ordered the first two volumes, they’ll be here in 3 to 7 working days.

2 Likes

“Too advanced” depends on the person. It’s among the easier manga I’ve read, but that doesn’t really help you figure out if it’s a good level for you. You could always try to read some samples on one of the websites listed in the first post to see for yourself.

4 Likes

I have to look up a lot of the words, but with the word list and some extra Jisho and grammar searches it is more than manageable. I’m on lvl 5 on WK and on chapter 2 in Genki. (Also doing some other vocab learning on Kitsun.

2 Likes

This is very much how I feel about reading YagaKimi.

I also feel like this is gonna be a rough patch for me at the start, but at the same time if I can start properly learning grammar it might become manageable in near future.

I enjoyed the story in english a lot, so this is another motivator.

A lot of effort is in order :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I made a kitsun deck of the chapter 1 vocabulary. I haven’t published it yet, but if anyone is interested, I would be happy to share it. (It’s not perfect, but I tried to include everything.)

2 Likes

that’d be awesome if you could share it ^^

(…time to get kitsun.io) :smiley:

I will publish it. The only thing is that I’m still going through it to remove duplicates. I think I removed all of them, but there might be some remaining.
Also, if there is any issues with the translation (I got almost everything out of Jisho with the built in card generator), do let me know in the feedback section and I will look into it.

1 Like

I might join in! I haven’t participated in a book club yet because of the difficulty of getting physical copies, but later I will check if I can get this digitally and if I can (I don’t see why not) I will try to join in!
My immersion and reading and grammar and everything is currently 0, so even if I ultimately have no idea what’s going on I’ll be glad to have tried for once x)

4 Likes

Here is the link to the deck.

1 Like

@seanblue Could we add this to the Master List of Book Clubs? I had a look and almost added it to the Misc section, but it says that books are ordered in terms of difficulty and start date and did not want to mess with it. :confused:

Just put it with the other beginner books. Look at the preview before saving to make sure it looks fine. If you make a mistake I’ll fix it, but it’s better to add it yourself if you can.

2 Likes

Will do, thanks!

One thing for those of you who are planning to use the kitsun deck for chapter 1. If you set the cards to be shown chronologically, then the vocab will appear more or less in the same order as it appears in the book.

2 Likes

The only problem with generating a deck this way is that words with many definitions won’t be pinned down to those relevant in context. Like the definition for 星. :joy:

star (usu. not including the Sun)
planet (usu. not including Earth), heavenly body, star (glyph, symbol, shape), star (actor, player, etc.), small dot, spot, fleck, star point (in go), hoshi, intersection marked with a dot, perp, perpetrator, mark, offender, suspect, bullseye, one’s star (that determines one’s fate), one’s fortune, point, score

Maybe people can fix that with the feedback option as the book club reads it though.