ゆるキャン△ Vol. 6 🏕

I’m not sure why it is my fault, but I take full responsibility

5 Likes

You tempted me.

3 Likes

Ah yes, I did do that

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the biggest gripe for me too with the manga. All the place, food and camping gear names. Reading them once or less a week just doesn’t do it for me. But I think there’s way less of all that in the recent volumes compared to the beginning. Or maybe it just feels like it.

The second thing that bugs me is the shading. I think it was touched upon in one of the first threads, but to me a lot of the panels would look so much better and easier on the eyes if it wasn’t for the thick scanline shading. :laughing:

I always feel a bit bad when I see a book club thread with almost no comments. I think I used to comment/ask questions a lot more when I was newer. But nowadays I usually plug everything into ichi.moe or occasionally Deepl to see if I can make sense of it and most of the time it’s enough or I just move on.
Dunno if that’s a bad approach or not.

(On top of that I never really was someone who discusses stories or characters, mostly just mundane “I liked x” or similar comments if at all. :sweat_smile:)

6 Likes

Same for me, and when I started to get into reading a lot of other people already asked the questions that I had, so I never really got used to asking questions in general (which is probably not the best thing to get used to :sweat_smile:). Nowadays I can somewhat weasel my way through sentences, where I have problems, or I just throw them at Deepl if I’m really lost.

5 Likes

Already the last story chapter of the book…

34 ストーブを囲んで

Start date: March 27th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

[/quote]

4 Likes

This week’s chapter is the second half of anime episode six. (Fun fact: last week’s episode, number 11, is the first to cover chapters I haven’t read yet in English. I do have said chapters in Japanese, mind, but unread.)

No new real-world locations, again. That said, from page 150, 池池 is not a real brand of sake, but is.

Even ignoring the unexpectedly cold temperatures, this outing seems to have suffered from a critical lack of advance planning - they would have been too late to buy firewood either way. Though I guess it’s possible the manager went home early because it was so cold.

Page 146, what exactly is the deal with the “tablecloth!” cult? It’s actually come up a few times in the anime before (but curiously not in this scene), always in people’s imaginations, but I’m reasonably sure this is the first time we’ve seen it in the manga. Aside from the KKK-esque outfits, is it intended to be a reference to anything in particular?

Page 148, the anime made one curious change here: the girls actually noticed their phones were running flat due to the cold much earlier, while they were still sitting by the lake and before they start drinking rum, and they turned them off to preserve the remaining dregs of power for emergencies. I guess it makes them look at least a little less careless?

Nooo…

7 Likes

I kinda like that there’s a scene where they’re woefully underprepared…that’s also a part learning to camp :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

On page 137 the pipe of the heater seems to be close to the peak of the roof, but on the next page the heater oven thingie is shown to be close to the tent wall, kind of down there in the corner of the tent. How does that work?!?

Click for images

(p. 151)

4 Likes

305247718903906304 Sneaky pipe!

3 Likes

忍びだ

2 Likes

Saw this tent in the show first, and yep it’s still extremely freaking cozy here.

While not much has happened to warrant deeper discussion story-wise, it’s nice to just see Aoi, Ena, and Aki play around so we get more of their banter. They’re charming in their own ways! Also good Toba-sensei stuff this chapter to show that yes, she can in fact be a responsible adult when she has to.

@Belthazar the cultists might be a reference to Earthbound? Not sure if those in and of themselves are also referencing something else. Could very well be a Japanese pop culture trope.

Images of Earthbound cultists

5 Likes

just popping into the thread writ large to say I’m slowly catching up and am currently on volume 3 and just cruising by. Easy breezy reading and love the subject considering I do a fair bit of camping myself!

Look forward to catching up to volume 6 with y’all

7 Likes

I really liked this change. In the manga, I don’t think cold is ever mentioned as a reason for them being unreachable, instead they say they’ve taken too many pictures or they didn’t hear it, but the situation in the anime could certainly happen in real life. Is it really common knowledge that batteries drain faster in the cold? I only found out a couple of years ago when I had to spend a few hours a day in a cold room at 4 °C and my phone would die in less than 2h while listening to music, making my work much more tedious :sweat_smile:

Would it be ok if I edit the vocab spreadsheet link to point to the first volume 6 tab to avoid having to scroll so much?

3 Likes

Interesting categorising…

10 Likes

Number 1 best seller cookbook! :sparkles: Will improve your health and help you with fitness and dieting. Now on the shelves in a store near you!

6 Likes

Gaaah I forgot to make this week’s post!
Err. Everybody starts discussing the bonus chapters! I’ll try to add the poll tomorrow.

7 Likes

That’s ok. I’ve been busy moving house, so I haven’t read it yet either. :slightly_smiling_face: Also don’t have internet, so I can’t make the usual post from my desktop…

2 Likes

Alright then. The end of volume 6! I’m one book behind weeee.

番外編 - へやキャン△

Start date: April 3rd

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

[/quote]
[/quote]

5 Likes