ゆるキャン△ Vol. 6 🏕

:rotating_light: :oncoming_police_car: :rotating_light:

7 Likes

Tell me about it. I have to look it up every freaking time. Or… not actually. This days, I just give up and think “it’s that one crazy reading I can’t remember”.
Thanks to @Redglare it might stick now?

6 Likes

Still haven’t acquired the current volume, but the title sounds important. おカイロ are a lifesaver during the current (real life) season, too. Trying to fill the blank, don’t mind me.

30 - ランプとカイロ

Start date: February 27th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

5 Likes

This week’s chapter is the second half of anime episode four.

No new locations this week - with the exception of the ten-don shop, which I imagine is at least mostly fictional (and boy does that meal look tasty), the characters visited literally the same locations as they did last chapter.

However, last week’s episode of the anime finally dropped the vital clue that allowed me to nail down the location of the Kagamihara residence - I’m about 80% sure it’s located on the empty plot of land here.

Page 35, “Cresson” is a reference to “Lawson”, I bet, but is it also hinting at something else? Usually the bland-name versions are closer to the real one, like “Rowson” or “Mawson” or something. Side note, this appears to be the Lawson nearest the school (and almost next door to Aki and Aoi’s workplaces), and the shape of the mountains in the background seem to match…

Page 38 panel 3, I had the same thoughts as Nadeshiko regarding the hand-warmer - you want to be holding a lit flame inside a metal case inside a cloth bag?

Page 44 panel 2, I feel like this has come up before, but why does Nadeshiko say 一万円でお願いします? “Please can I pay with a 10,000 yen note”?

Page 51, ugh, this screentone makes Nadeshiko’s note almost unreadable.

5 Likes

I completely forgot that I actually have one of those reusable heat packs they show on page 38.

It’s pretty cool, but I never really use it because I don’t like the idea of sticking what is essentially a slow burning lighter that doesn’t extinguish in my pocket

1 Like

31 - カリブーくんとキャンプチェア

Start date: March 6th

0 voters

4 Likes

This week’s chapter is the first half of anime episode five.

Whee, finally some new location research this week.

As is probably immediately apparent on the first page, the girls start at Fuji-san Station. The bus station is right next door.

The Caribou they visit is a Mont-bell - supposedly this one is known for selling limited-edition Mount Fuji goods that you can’t buy elsewhere. And if you turn slightly to the right… there goes the bus. Fuji-san Radar Dome is nearby, but I can’t work out if that’s the name of the bus stop. (As mentioned, there’s also a Michi-no-Eki just behind that looks like a nice place to visit.)

Page 62 (and many others): Does anyone else think that their necks are too long and skinny whenever they take their scarves off? It’s almost like they need to wear the scarves to support the weight of their heads…

Page 72: Today I thought I’d see if I could find that teensy キロ symbol in my IME. And there it is: ㌔. It’s the other way around to how it appears here, though.

Proper nouns:
Page 56:
大月=おおつき

6 Likes

I don’t there’s any flame involved - should be using a catalytic converter.

honestly, if it’s made well I bet it’s probably safer than a lithium battery…(not like those explode in peoples faces or anything :sweat_drops: )

3 Likes

There’s no flame involved per se, but they do glow red where the reaction is occurring (kind of like glowing embers in a campfire). I’ve heard people say that it won’t light paper on fire even if you put it directly where the reaction is, but i’ve never tried myself.

Those things get hot enough that you may burn your hand if you hold it without the cover cloth, but it goes against most of my instincts to put what looks a flame inside a bag that seems flammable.

1 Like

it’s funny how skewed our sense of risk is towards things that “look” dangerous, or that we don’t handle daily…

The Chikuwa scene on p. 76-77 gave me a good laugh, omg :joy:

3 Likes

some high level sales tactics on page 73…that shop assistant deserves a payrise

2 Likes

32 - 雪国の鍋と山中湖

Start date: March 13th

0 voters

5 Likes

This week’s chapter is the second half of episode five.

The girls start at Yamanakako Onsen. They then walk to Ogino Supermarket, about eight hundred metres away - it’s got a Seria adjacent, so I guess we now have confirmation of what “Serori” is in this universe.

The Hammock Cafe that Ena mentions on page 97 is here. The website linked on Google doesn’t make it entirely clear when it closes for the winter, but does note that it reopens on the 20th of March, which is coincidentally only a week away.

The Hiranu Unsen that the foreigner guy on the bus asks directions to is presumably this one, but as we never see it on-screen, I couldn’t say for certain. The tourist bus does stop right in the onsen’s car park, though.

Last but not least, they camp at Misaki Camping Ground. The bus stops just ouside the entrance, which is nice and convenient.

Proper nouns

Page 85:
桔梗信玄=ききょうしんげん

Page 88:
信長=のぶなが

5 Likes

:sparkles: 鍋しこちゃん :sparkles:

9 Likes

It looks like commenting is really dying down :sweat_smile:
(I guess I’m not helping… especially since I haven’t start the current volume but at least I own it)

33 - 大問々岬の冬

Start date: March 20th

0 voters

7 Likes

Well, now that you’ve said that, I actually don’t have much to comment on this chapter. They don’t particularly go anywhere new.

Though, my ground chair’s instructions are printed on the underside of the seat rather than on the bag…

Edit: On closer inspection, same with the chair in the anime. They tweaked it from the manga.

Also, this week’s chapter is the first half of anime episode six. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I’m still struggling away with the lack of furigana (it is the only manga I’ve ever attempted without those little darlings), but I’m determined to do my best to keep up.

I’d really like to see more character interaction/development and fewer infomercials for campgrounds and camping goods, but we can’t have everything in life.

Now I sound all whiny… I really am enjoying the series :grimacing:

6 Likes

I don’t know what to comment on…@Redglare summed up everything I wanted to say about last weeks, and I haven’t read this week yet. it’s just a comfy series where not a lot happens :sweat_smile:

I guess that’s part of the problem with the bookclub picks tending to be slice of life. once the setting and characters are established there’s just not that much to say

5 Likes

I’ve also fallen behind a good amount (admittedly because I’ve probably taken on too many bookclubs). I think I can technically handle the workload, but after a couple abnormally busy weeks catching up with all my books and SRS has been a nightmare.

Considering half the club members are in the “I’m taking my time” category, might it make sense to take a few weeks off after this volume (at least until コンビニ ends perhaps)?

4 Likes