Week 4

Start Date: Feb 13th
Previous Part: Week 3
Next Part: Week 5

Reading:

Week Start Date End Chapter End Page Page Count
Week 4 Feb 13th [End Chapter 7] 139 34

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Previous Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
石神 いしがみ (Week 1)
新大橋 しんおおはし
隅田川 すみだがわ
清洲橋 きよすばし
靖子 やすこ
米沢 よねざわ
小代子 さよこ
金子 かねこ
錦糸町 きんしちょう
美里 みさと
富樫 慎二 とがし しんじ
赤坂 あかさか
扇屋 おおぎや (Week 2)
湯川 学 ゆかわ まなぶ
草薙 くさなぎ
帝都大学 ていとだいがく
旧江戸川 きゅうえどがわ
岸谷 きしたに
間宮 まみや
篠崎 しのざき
山辺 躍子 やまべ ようこ
亀戸 かめいど
森下駅 もりしたえき (Week 3)
荻窪 おぎくぼ
江東区 こうとうく
錦糸町 きんしちょう
哲哉 てつや
Name Reading Notes Proof
工藤 くどう
大崎 おおさき

By now the verb 頷く is firmly “burned”

1 Like

Done! There were only two new names this week:

工藤 くどう
大崎 おおさき (note to @NicoleIsEnough, I don’t think this one will show up again)

There was an interesting bit on page 136. It took me a while to understand, and then I realized that it would be difficult to translate. I wonder what the English translator did with it.

「工藤さんは大丈夫なの?」
「僕はいつだって大丈夫だよ。今はそんなに忙しくないんだ」
「そう」
靖子は彼の妻のことをいったのだが、問い直すのはやめておいた。彼はそれをわかっていて、勘違いしたふりを装っていると感じたからだ。
“How is 工藤さん doing?”
“I’m always fine. I’m not too busy right now, that’s all”.
She actually meant his wife (i.e. 工藤さん was Mrs Kudou), but she refrained from asking again, because she could feel that he knew it and had only pretended that he misunderstood.

1 Like

掻く and 訊く too. Been seeing these bad boys a lot.

1 Like

Probably just change the initial question to something like “How’s everything going” or “Is everything ok with…”

1 Like

Yea, another tough passage.
Just for context, the first part of the first sentence 「あの子のことは気にしなくていいけど、工藤さんは大丈夫なの?」.

English ver. Says:

“You don’t have to worry about her—but what about you?”
“Oh, I’m fine anytime. Not that busy these days.”
“Oh. Right.”
What she had meant was, What about your wife? But she decided not to press the matter. She sensed that he got her drift but was avoiding the topic.

Looks to me like you nailed it. Yea, I found the first sentence to be a little confusing because it can be translated more than one way. But great job especially with the last sentence. :+1:

3 Likes

I still mix up 頷くand 俯くoften, maybe because the reading and meaning is close. The physicality at least. And both come up in conversation situations.

1 Like

I learned the word うつむき (face down) when going to the acupuncture sensei in Japan. I did not know the kanji until now. But to me 俯く has the connotation of really looking down, almost in shame. Whereas 頷くis a nod to agree or acknowledge. Then there is 肯く, taught on Wanikani, with the same “nod” meaning, but totally absent in this book.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I remember the difference in meaning, but probably mix up mostly the readings. I’ll try to think more of facing like 向く with 俯く. Reminds me of うつ伏せる, as well. Maybe having talked about it here I’ll remember it now :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

Finished chapter 7 last night. The part in their college days and then seeing each other again makes me wish (for 石神 especially) that things hadn’t happened the way they had–I’d read a book of odd couple friendship middle-aged math hijinks. The book I’m actually reading continues to be good. :black_heart:

6 Likes