ハイキュー・Haikyuu! 🏐 Vol. 2

Im so glad I stumbled upon this today! I just finished vol 1 this week. Looking forward to connecting with this community of haikyuu readers.

6 Likes

We’re keeping this same thread for the whole volume, so definitely stay tuned until we get to chapter 11 reading time :grinning:. I’m looking forward to it!

1 Like

Welcome welcome :grinning:. This discussion thread may be a bit quiet for now, but that may change later. If you use Discord, the group is pretty active there and here’s the link.
In any case, glad to have you here!

Welcome everyone :relaxed:
I was skimming through this week’s chapter and both Shimizu and Takeda appear at the end, so I guess they should be on the sign-ups for the read aloud too? (I considered editing it myself but I preferred to check just in case :sweat_smile:). The list is going to keep getting longer and longer!

1 Like

Of course, feel free to add as it’ll help to keep track of the characters :slightly_smiling_face:

@caraage has put up the main list every week for us to encourage everyone to sign up ahead of the read-aloud days. When the one-liners or smaller charaters don’t have any signups, they usually got grouped together and decided right before the read-aloud. So I think it’s good to have them all listed in one place :blush:

1 Like

you probably already got that from the anime or manga but as they’re talking a bit about positions in this chapter, I thought I’d give a bit of basic background
positions
EDIT: about the MB in the back: ofc he can cross the line with his jump; he just has to jump off before that line
about the libero: actually he most often replaces the MB in the back ('cause probably due to their lanky statue they’re often not the best in defense); though the libero still goes to position 5 and the WS in the back is then placed on position 6

mini-rant on their positions:

Summary

Usually you’d start with the setter on position 1 because then you’d have the maximum of attacks for the longest time (from positions 2, 3, 4 and 6); when he’s starting from 5 they only have that for one set of serves (when starting; in the middle of the game that of course doesn’t matter any more) and then only have attackers on 3, 4 and 6. Also Kageyama probably has the strongest serve, so starting with that would be a bonus.
Maybe, as Hinata can use both a front and back toss pretty well, they’d try do get to a rotation where both of them are in the front with only two spikers in the front faster (without the WS(D) being in Hinatas way). But Kageyama and Hinata are only spending time like that for one rotation (Hinata on 2, Kageyama on 4) while Kageyama and Tsukishima spend two rotations like that (Kageyama on 3, Tsukishima on 4 and Kageyama on 2, Tsukishima on 3).
So, yeah, imo those positions don’t make that much sense. Unless I’m missing some point?

3 Likes

Ok! Now for my Chapter 11 question:

金田一 is (re)introduced as 影山’s old teammate, who now plays for the high school 青葉城西 which 烏野 is about to play an exhibition against.

Prior to the match, 金田一 uses the word ポイ to refer to the way 影山 treats his teammates.

I’m trying to confirm what he means by 'ポイ’

He states:
影山にとって必要なのは自分の思い通りに動く”駒”なんだよ。自分が勝つ為に要らないものはー ポイ

My attempt at translating this is:
Only things that Kageyama thinks he can move like ‘pawns’ are important to him. Things(teammates) he doesn’t need to win are ポイ (disposable?)

In a dictionary, ポイ has a definition as a paper scoop used at festivals for grabbing goldfish.
So my guess is that he is creating an analogy - things/people/teammates that do not help 影山 win are ポイ - in other words, ‘useless’ or ‘disposable’?

Anyone have a better grasp on this?

2 Likes

Yes, I think your translation of ‘disposable’ would work here.
From Jisho, another meaning is an onomatopoeia for ‘carelessly throwing/tossing’ → ポイ - Jisho.org , and it seems to match 金田一’s hand gesture.
Both would work I think.
My attempt to translate the phrase would be - For Kageyama what’s essential is his own way to move the pieces (pawn). Someone he doesn’t need to win is carelessly tossed out.
Btw, also great to know ポイ is a paper scoop for goldfish :smiley:

2 Likes

Awesome! thanks for the detailed thoughts. I also like your translation as well. I always get tripped up by 自分, and to whom it refers, and it made this section tricky to understand. Appreciate the help!

1 Like

Hi all, thread-lurker here. I’d love to get involved in this book club.

Big Haikyuu fan. My friend and I had a watch party once a week for months where we watched the whole anime. Finished season 4 by the end of February. Since then I’ve nearly caught up to the end of the anime in the English-language manga. :sweat_smile: Trying to savor the last bits, so figured I could start over in Japanese.

I still need to figure out how I’m going to purchase the Japanese version. And some personal life stuff won’t be resolved until the end of the month. So I don’t know if I can commit to the read-aloud this weekend, but I’d love to listen in and get the vibe if that’s okay with y’all?

7 Likes

In the homethread (link in first post) are two links where you could by the manga; either a physical or digital copy.

Feel free to just listen in. We’re always having a lots of fun. Usually we start with reading the chapter aloud with allotted roles, then have a short intermission with various topics and then will translate the chapter.

3 Likes

Yea, that’s a good point. Not sure why Kageyama doesn’t start at server…
One thing I could think of maybe he needs to be between Tanaka and Tsukishima who are the best scorers for the team, so when Kageyama is at the front row at least one of them will be eligible for net attack?
Or maybe Ennoshita is their most consistent server?
Or… ??

1 Like

Anytime. Glad that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

For sure, come join us whenever you can. I second @JuiceS it’s always fun :smiley:

1 Like

Or maybe it’s not so much about the attack but rather the defense as they got no libero. Hinata is quite obviously the weakest in that regard while Daichi is pretty strong and Tanaka is quite consistent as well. So they could cover for him. They also wouldn’t start with Hinata in the back for the same reason.
In this formation Kageyama would be called “runner 5” (meaning the setter “runs” from “position 5” to “his place” between positions 2 and 3 for the toss). For defending the serve he’d stand next to Tanaka, while Tsukishima and Ennoshita move up a position to the left and Daichi moves to Ennoshita’s former position for the defense.
Hinata and Tanaka are already on their right position for attacking and you’d have Daichi for a strong defense. And they’d still have the maximum of possible attack-positions. The only one for whom that position is pretty s*** is Kageyama 'cause he’s got to run the most for the first toss.
Personally I (WS/D) hated that formation most 'cause the setter has to pass by two spikers in the front to get to his position and you can get quite the confusion with who is moving where esp. when the defense doesn’t go well.
EDIT: graphic for better clarification of the defense

sorry for the long rambling. ^^’

Onto a short grammer questions:
ス at about the end of a sentence.
p.59 2nd to last panel Tanaka: ていうかデカさが重要なポジションに日向か!?
p.66, 2nd panel Kageyama: 1年も部室使って良いんか?
Is that some specific grammar point or just a shortening of です?

3 Likes

how i feel now that i’ve figure out to download the japanese shonen jump+ app on my phone

3 Likes

amazing analysis :exploding_head:
About スか, I think it’s what you said and it’s just a shortening of です!

2 Likes

Ah, totally agree with you. I’m always impressed by the agility of setters moving from one end of the court to the other, never missing the sight of the ball. Sometimes it’s feels like the setter has a clone or two playing on the court.

So, you’re a volleyballer! :smiley: WS/D. Do you actively play?
I used to play for my HS team (not a competitively strong team tho) and co-ed intramural in university (casual leagues). I miss it. I found some local evening leagues, but never really taken to it. So I’m reliving it through Haikyuu for now…

For the grammar, yep, I also read ス as です.

1 Like

yeah, being a setter is definitely a tough job. It really seems like they’re always everywhere on court.
What position did you play?
I played competitively for 18 years for my hometown. Started when I was ten 'cause a colleague of my mum was managing the club. “You’re tall; don’t you want to play?!” boom - next friday i was in the gym. :smiley: The last years I was having problems with my knees though, so I had to stop when it was getting too much. Also it was taking a lot of time going back and forth when I switched cities for uni and i was at a point where I thought i wanted to try some other sports as well.
Haikyuu definitely reminded my though why i played for so long and love it so much, so i’m back to playing a bit at my uni’s sports programme (not right now though 'cause corona -.-).

2 Likes

thanks for having me, that was fun! I’ll be ready next week to help with translation :smiley:

3 Likes