ゆるキャン△ Vol. 5 🏕

That sounds reasonable, actually :thinking: I wonder how much work it would be (and how much I would be paid for it), but you make it sound like it would be quite easy to meet their quality standard.
(Getting really sidetracked, but I honestly considered trying to be a freelance translator on the side a few years ago, but I failed to meet the requirements in terms of English quality… :frowning_face: Sadly, no one seems to be looking for Japanese->French translators either)

6 Likes

Picking up on the reading after catching episode 1 of the new season, and I was wondering what the deal is with the old woman commenting on Nadeshiko delivering letters. Is this a common enough sight / part-time job for kids in December?

That aside, it’s honestly pretty gratifying to come back to reading manga and seeing how much more kanji I’ve picked up (and forgotten…). Still not quite at an unbroken reading pace yet, but definitely much smoother than when I started.

It’s a small personal victory, but I’m really happy that I was able to understand the number joke (which is such a Nadeshiko problem haha).

Watching the show and reading the manga in tandem really shows how much the anime stretches out just one chapter. Not that I’d say it’s a bad thing, really, although it is a bit odd that some things get omitted.

In the end tho I understand why things were truncated, especially with an anime-only viewership in mind. I was pretty okay with seeing chibi-Rin. Not a bad way to ease viewers back in to the show and it bookended nicely with the last scene between Rin and Nadeshiko.

Even though it’s mostly repeating what we already knew/learned from S1, I’d argue it was needed to settle the audience back into the series, as opposed to manga readers for whom there wasn’t nearly as much of a delay.

4 Likes

Around the end of December, yes. There’s a tradition of sending a letter for New Year to everyone you know. Everyone I know is sending 50~100 such letters. Obviously, they are all sent at the same time.

2 Likes

Think it’s more that they’re all delivered at the same time. You can send them in advance.

2 Likes

I meant the same period. I don’t think people would send them more than two weeks before. It’s also possible to send them a few days later (usually when you receive someone else’s letter and realize you forgot them).

1 Like

A little late, but here’s the new week.

25 - 大晦日のソロキャンガール

Start date: January 9th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

5 Likes

I misunderstood last week how far Rin’s initial Izu plans were from her actual final destination in this chapter, so for the purposes of completion: Izu (though the name also refers to the whole peninsula), Nishiizu, Minamiizu, Shimoda, Numazu, Ito, Amagi, Nishiizu Skyline, Hita, Mihamamisaki.

This week, Rin starts the chapter at the Omaezaki Lighthouse. Can’t tell if the paw prints in the wall on page 36 actually exist (though I don’t see why they wouldn’t) - street view is lacking in the area, and there’s no photo sphere which shows it.

The tea house Rin visits on page 37 is Kimikura. They do, in fact, have a cafe on the second floor. Here is a video of a YouTuber visiting the place (because it was in Yuru Camp - don’t watch earlier parts of the video if you don’t want spoilers for later parts of this volume). 秘蔵 does appear to be a real tea blend, but it’s read as ひぞう. The lady suggests Rin watch the sunrise from the Fukude Coast, and you can see the torii gates in photos of the place (pretty sure she actually does go here later on, sooo… advance warning?)

Mitsuke Tenjin is here. Doggy. Doggymikuji - looks rather different to the one in the manga.

Rin stays at Ryuyokaio Park Auto Camping Ground. The building she comments on being a sento is here, and in most photos, it’s quite hard to tell that there’s a sento there at all… then you get this. The gazebo at the bottom of page 48 is… one of these.

She finishes up at Kaketsuka Lighthouse, before heading back to her tent for dinner.

Page 35, so 枚 is still the counter for photos even when they’re digital, huh?

Page 53, the page http://umm2/oa sadly doesn’t exist, but surprisingly I actually get a 404 page, albeit one in Chinese.

Proper Nouns:

Page 36:
掛川=かけがわ

Page 38:
夜叉神峠=やしゃじんとうげ (visited back in volume 3)
磐田=いわた
福田=ふくで (Rin uses the hiragana for this later in the panel anyway)

And, uh… that’s surprisingly it.

7 Likes

I just watched the first episode of the second season of the anime and just now realized we catched up. :open_mouth: Though which chapter was the one with young Rin in the first half of the episode? :thinking:

It’s an anime-original, at least as far as volume nine, thought the premise is consistent with what Rin told Nadeshiko when they were at Lake Shibire.

2 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t think of that. I thought I forgot or missed it

It occured to me that Rin drove around two hundred kilometres. I seem to recall her fretting about just 120 km a few volumes ago…

5 Likes

is that 悉平太郎 watching over her on the last panel of p 46? she gets excellent luck in the fortune and everything

1 Like

Trying to make more of an effort to engage in the threads as I’m reading, rather than after the fact so I still have Yuru Camp on the brain!

As always, loving these breakdowns for each chapter @Belthazar. It’s giving me that good pain to see these locations on Google Maps and wishing I could visit Japan again ASAP.

That’s… an odd translation. Is Yen Press always this bad? Like, I get wanting to keep the integrity of the original text but… what?

That cafe looks fantastic, def gotta put together a Yuru Camp visit list. Still, might be a bit uh… hard without a car. I have no idea how Rin manages this on a moped. I imagine that Japan is a little more lax with mopeds on their highways? I wouldn’t even think to get one here in the US because I’d fear for my life constantly.

1 Like

Mostly it’s sensible English, but yeah, the further we get, the more lines I spot that aren’t really the same as what it says in Japanese.

Pretty sure she’s avoiding the highways.

1 Like

She’s not allowed on the highways.

1 Like

Oh duh of course, that would make sense. For some reason I had it in my head that everybody’s just more careful or something???

That’s even more impressive/daunting with how much driving she’s done if she’s not taking highways.

I’m getting behind this club again :sweat_smile:

26 - 一年のはじまり

Start date: January 16th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

7 Likes

Anyone who’s intending to read the manga before watching the anime: this chapter covers the entirety of episode two, so it’s now safe to watch.

Rin, as previously mentioned, watches the sunrise from Fukude Coast.

Aki-chan-tachi, meanwhile, watch the sunrise from Mount Minobu, which looks like a nice place to visit any time. They then attempt to view Diamond Fuji from Takaori, probably here specifically. It takes fifty-one minutes to drive there from the car park at the bottom of the Minobu-san Ropeway, so since they still needed to descend said ropeway after watching the sunrise at 7:00, they would have been hard-pressed to make it there even by 7:50.

The poem-stone mentioned on page 81 is here.

(Fun fact: My research into Diamond Fuji spots suggested that Mount Minobu is also one such spot, but only in November and late Jan to early Feb. The ropeway opens before sunrise at those times too, same as New Years Day. You can also see Diamond Fuji from the Lake Motosu campground, but I’m not too clear on the exact timeframe - one website I’ve checked seems to imply that it’s early Dec to early Jan. If the air is still enough, you can also see the reflection in Lake Motosu - that’s called Double Diamond Fuji.)

Just to check: Chibi-Inuko was in the omake strips last volume, but this is her first appearence in the manga proper, right?

I’ve had amazake once, in Yanaka Ginza. Think it wasn’t really for me, but maybe I’ll try it again if I find myself watching the sunrise on New Years Day in Japan sometime. Kinda wanna try the yuba dango too. Lemme just leave this here…

Question, @Naphthalene: if Nadeshiko is handing people stacks of New Years cards here, what was she doing last chapter sticking them in mailboxes?

Page 82, in this sequence, the anime shows Toba-sensei doing drifts around the corners, Inuko and Chibi-Inuko being thrown from side to side in the back seat… at 20km/hr (= about 12 mph). I couldn’t help but roll my eyes.

Proper nouns:

Page 68:
藤田=ふじた (family name)

Page 71:
身延山=みのぶさん (it’s written on the sign in the second panel, but it’s also used in dialogue on page 80)

Page 80:
富士川町=ふじかわちょう
高下=たかおり

Page 81:
高村光太郎=たかむらこうたろう (person’s name)

8 Likes

I haven’t read the last chapter yet (hence my “I’m taking my time” answer in the poll), so I’m not sure I understand the question. You mean she is delivering cards now? Or giving new cards to people?
Uh, I should probably check the book.

Probably. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last chapter, she was sticking fairly thin-looking envelopes in peoples’ mailboxes. This chapter, which is actually New Years Day, she’s shown handing a fairly chonky bundle of what appears to be new years’ cards tied up with string directly to a person standing in their doorway. So if she’s delivering new years’ cards now, what was she delivering before?

1 Like