シメジシミュレーション | Week 10 Discussion 🍄

Chapter 10: ゆめ

Pages 113 - 130

Start Date: 28th November
Last Week: Chapter 9
Final Week!

シメジシミュレーション Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Instead of the usual membership poll, please vote to indicate that you’ve finished the book! :tada:

• I finish シメジシミュレーション! :mushroom: :tada: :fish:
  • I plan to finish but haven’t yet
  • I just like to clicky clicky

0 voters

Wrap-up Polls; vote on how you found the book!

5 Likes
Random excitement

:heart:
I guess it suits Shimeji.
ns

6 Likes

This book was a great pick! It was definitely my kind of humor. I’m bummed there aren’t any sequels yet for a spin-off club. I have to say I really like つくみず. I’ve been reading Girls’ Last Tour as well and I find the surreal environments and atmosphere really cool in each book.

11 Likes

Agree this was a great pick. Will have to have a look at Girl’s Last Tour at some point. Chapter 20 of Shimeji Simulation was published in the latest issue of Comic Cune, so hopefully not too long before we get the next volume!

8 Likes

Sign me up for that!

Highlight of the chapter

Yoshika saving the day :fish:

Page 126

I am a bit confused about 本当にいやじゃなかったらでいいんだけど. I feel it means something like “if you truly don’t want to, that’s fine, but…”. Why is it じゃなかったら, a negative though? And what is で doing there?

4 Likes

That… uh… what?

Caught up just in time for the last week, as per usual :sweat_smile:

Some thoughts on this last chapter

I really liked the art in the dreamscape, with the sea of identical buildings, the long staircases, the bottomless canyons between the buildings…idk, I just thought it looked really cool. :smile: Kind of an Inception-ish vibe. The giant apple reminded me of James and the Giant Peach for some reason xD And then we had the triumphant return of Yoshika! This chapter and chapter 9 were so surreal and fun. It’s like, I don’t know what’s going on, but I like it xD

I didn’t really vibe that much with Girl’s Last Tour for some reason (I barely finished the first volume), but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by this one and really enjoyed it. :slight_smile: I’d definitely be up for reading further volumes once they come out!

9 Likes

I’m not totally sure, but I think it might be that で is serving as a conjunction here, like “so” or “then.” In the previous panel, Majime asks if Shimeji hates her, and Shimeji (I assume) is like, no, I don’t think I hate you. (Kind of hard to tell who’s talking at that point, but I assumed Shimeji would be answering the question). So I think what Majime’s saying here is along the lines of “if you didn’t really hate me, then I guess it’s ok” (to ask you to be my friend again, as she does in the next panels), with the だけど indicating her lingering uncertainty if it’s ok (with Shimeji). So it’s like “if you didn’t really hate me…if it’s ok with you…” (will you become my friend).

6 Likes

Loved it. I’ll definitely read the next volume whenever it’s out!

8 Likes

Loved it! Such a weird and fun manga. I would have enjoyed it even if the story weren’t my cup of tea because the art is awesome, but it turned out to be my kind of humor. I really like Shimeji and Majime too. Looking forward to the next volume! Meanwhile, I’ll check Girl’s Last Tour :dizzy:

8 Likes

Alright! We have officially finished reading volume 1 of シメジシミュレーション :mushroom: (here’s hoping for more!) - though of course anybody is still completely welcome to post new questions or thoughts in any of the discussion threads.

Huge congratulations to everybody who has made it through :slightly_smiling_face:

I know lots of people have posted their thoughts as they finished, but who doesn’t love a good poll? Feel free to comment on your answers, or not.

Those who’ve finished the book, how would you rate it?

0 voters

Which was your favourite chapter?

• Chapter 1・ともだち
  • Chapter 2・よしか
  • Chapter 3・あなほり
  • Chapter 4・かたち
  • Chapter 5・てんごく
  • Chapter 6 ・あめ
  • Chapter 7・さんぽ
  • Chapter 8・だんち
  • Chapter 9・じっけん
  • Chapter 10・ゆめ

0 voters

Personally, I appreciated the short chapter titles - nice and easy to work out for the home thread :grin:

No commitment, but out of interest: would you want to read volume 2 with the club when it comes out?

• Yes!
  • I don’t want to read further
  • I’d rather read it myself

0 voters

6 Likes

Wait, come to think of it, what ever happened to the hole-digging club?

2 Likes

Hello, I joined late and didn’t start reading till December 3. I stumbled across the book clubs selection a few weeks prior. I’ve usually stuck to Shonen slice of life rom-coms with lots of furigana, but looking at the selection I figured I’d give シメジシミュレーション a try. I went in not knowing what to expect and somewhat intimidated (no furigana, it was not my comfortable school moe world, it even took me a little bit to understand the font in the title LOL :rofl:); however, I stuck through it and just finished it a little bit ago. I found it interesting and I really like the humor in it. Although I’m not to much into abstract stories like this in general and don’t plan on reading volume 2, I think it was time well spent. I thank the group for the recommendation since it wouldn’t be something I would have read on my own. I’m happy that I was able to explore a different type of genre that I don’t usually read. More than anything, I’m really happy with myself that I finished my first non-furigana manga :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the vocab as well, it was very helpful.

8 Likes

Finally finished…I like this kind of weird surreal mess of a story :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Question: p118

ヘンテコなわりにあまりに明晰な夢だけど。。。

I get the overall meaning (something along the lines of “it’s a strangely realistic dream”), but I’m really confused by what’s going on grammatically…specifically the adjective + two adverbs in a row is tripping me up.

really reminded me of BLAME!

4 Likes

It’s been a while, but my note here says:

A わりに B – rather B for A

Here’s the Bunpro page, I hope that ‘elucidates’ it :wink:

5 Likes

yeah I should have just checked bunpro from the start…seeing a bunch of example sentences helped

1 Like

Oof, that one’s in the Advanced grammar dictionary.

Honestly not sure what “rather B for A” is supposed to mean, but the general gist the grammar dictionary gives me is that it means something along the lines of “despite A, B”. “Despite how weird it is, it’s an extremely lucid dream, but…”

3 Likes

yeah that’s what I got after reading a bunch of examples on bunpro. it was the combination of the な before and the あまりに after that got me though…couldn’t work out how to parse it :sweat_smile:

1 Like