10 Minute Biographies Book Club Chapter 2 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

10 Minute Biographies Chapter Two: Marie Curie

Start Date: 23rd November

Previous Chapter: Chapter 1
Next Chapter: Chapter 3
Home Thread: Link

Schedule

We are reading at the pace of one page per day. If a sentence crosses two pages it is read as part of the first page.

Daily reading schedule
Date Page Last Line of Page
Nov 23 27 Chapter title page
Nov 24 28 組みあわせると、いろんな言葉に
Nov 25 29 目を丸くしました。
Nov 26 30 友だちが、本を読んで
Nov 27 31 本に むちゅうだったのです。
Nov 28 32 大学に 行きたいと 思いました。
Nov 29 33 「、アーニャは、どうするの。」
Nov 30 34 科学 いちばん すきでした。
Dec 01 35 どんどん 上っていきました。
Dec 02 36 けっこんしましたが、ピエールも いっしょに
Dec 03 37 「放射能」と名づけました。
Dec 04 38 「ポロニウム」と 名前を つけました。
Dec 05 39 とりだす ことに せいこうしました。
Dec 06 40 この 大きな かなしみを のりこえ、
Dec 07 41 放射線には ちゅういしてくださいね。」
Dec 08 42 End of chapter

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Grammar Sheet

Discussion Guidelines

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• If posting a complete translation of a sentence we generally blur / hide this, as seeing the translation may be a spoiler for those who haven’t read that part yet and wanted to translate for themselves. The easiest way to do this is select the text, click on the cog icon, and select “Blur Spoiler”, or you can type it like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

Hi! Thanks for starting this thread. I don’t have the book yet - hardcopy is best imo, but once it arrives I will join the discussions!

3 Likes

Glad to hear you’re joining mate, it’s been great so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

p. 27

title

マリー・キュリー
Marie Curie

女性で初めてノーベル賞を取った科学者
The first female scientist to win the Nobel Prize

3 Likes

p. 28

my translation

「マーニャ、学校ごっこしよう。私が先生よ。」
“Manya, let’s play school. I am the teacher.”
七歳のブローニャが、文字の書いてあるカードを並べながら、言いました。
said the seven-year-old Bronya while aligning the cards with letters written on them.
お父さんから国語の勉強をするように言われたブローニャは一人ではつまらないので、四歳の妹のマーニャを誘ったのです。
Because Bronya, who had been told by her father to study the national language, was bored alone, she invited her four-year-old little sister Manya.
「私、字、読めない。」マーニャは、生徒になりましたが、何も分かりませんでした。
“I can’t read.” Manya played the role of the pupil, but didn’t understand anything.
でも、しばらくすると、(字と字を組み合わせると、いろんな言葉になるんだ!)と、気づき、夢中で遊び始めました。
But, after a short wile, she noticed that ‘If letters are joined together, they become various words!’, and she started to be absorbed by the game.

3 Likes

I’ve just got my copy so hope to join in, also my first ever Jp book. Delivered to UK from Japan in three days, must have known I am keen :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Don’t feel I’ve seen this てある much before. I had to look this one up. Meaning - something is done; has been done; remaining state (てある (JLPT N4) | Bunpro – Japanese Grammar Explained)

2 Likes

P. 28
Trying to get used to potential form

読めない
Cannot read

from potential 読める.

Would の be added to verbs of second form to form potential?

I am having hard time learning difference between potential, passive and causative. All apps I could find ask you to conjugate a verb in certain form instead of just asking to translate. I believe this builds a wrong habit of reacting on grammar term. It should be reaction on actual usage. Did I explain it well?

I am a little confused by the ~ように form on page 28, this sentence:

お父さんから 国語の 勉強を するように 言われた ブローニャは、一人では つまらないので、四才の 妹の マーニャを さそったのです。

The meaning I found online said this,

Meaning: in order to (e.g. meet goal); so that; hoping or wishing for something

but I guess it doesn’t need anything after it? Since I assume the 言われた belongs to Dad who have told Boronya to study. So would 勉強をするように just translate to “study” but with the intention of studying inorder to meet an unspecified goal?

My page 29 attempt:

数週間後、マーニャは、ブローニャよりも 上手に 本を 読めるように なっていました。
After several weeks, Manya became very good at reading books in comparison to Boronya.

「すごい……、マーニャ。」
Wow, Manya!

ブローニャも、お父さんも、目を 丸くしました。
Boronya as well as dad had circled around to look.

My question today is if I have understoon ~やりも Correctly :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I don’t understand everything you wrote but maybe it helps if I explain how to make the potential form:
For godan verbs you just take the plain form and replace the last u-sound with eru. yom-u >>> yom-eru. This new verb is an ichiban verb and therefore conjugated like taberu etc. (yome-nai etc.)
Fo ichidan verbs you replace the ru of the plain form with rareru. (taberareru)

ように is really bothersome as it has so many applications an meanings :roll_eyes:

In this context ように is used as an indirect quote (EDIT: and, as buburoi said below, ようにいう is used to quote a command): renshuu.org

That is to say, it is quoting what the father said, but not word-by-word like with と.

3 Likes

ように言う is used when somebody tells somebody else what to do.

1 Like

I always think of より as being a comparison, so here it would even be “Manya became better at reading books than Boronya”

This one has an entry in Jisho: 目を丸くする - Jisho.org

1 Like

I think you are confusing two different usages of ように言う here. If there is a verb in front of ように that expresses an action that can be controlled, it is used to give an indirect imperative.

Not wanting to argue about details, but I don’t really see the difference?

Indirect quote: I was told to study. 勉強するように言われた。
Direct quote: I was told: “Study!” 勉強しなさいと言われた。

Also, the bunpro link (EDIT: now replaced because not accessible to everybody) says “Used to indirectly quote an order/request” - I just did not feel like repeating the full information here because in my mind the indirect quote is the important bit and the command-like nature follows from the contents anyway… :woman_shrugging:

Sorry, I don’t use Bunpro and could not check your link. Therefore I just read the part saying that ように言うis used to quote but not word-by-word. I think this is a bit vague as this grammar point is about the indirect imperative when used with controllable verbs. And I think this is important to mention because as a beginner you probably won’t immediately see that there’s an imperative hidden in this structure.

Wouldn’t these be:
勉強するように言われた。 and
「勉強しなさい」と言われた。?

(Don’t want to argue about details either, this is an honest question. Can you just leave out the quotation marks in the second sentence? And why did you use ようにと in the first sentence?:thinking::v:)

Thank you!

Oh, my bad! I thought the grammar points are free for everybody to look at. (But maybe it requires a subscription, don’t know.) I will use a different link.

Actually I wanted to say that ように is used to indirectly quote :sweat_smile: But yeah, probably you are right that it’s better to be more explicit about it.

Dang, that’s a typo. :woman_facepalming: Sorry for the confusion!

Aren’t they usually left out with と except in special cases (like when you are quoting a single word or something)? I figured one can leave them out here as well. But this is something I don’t know well, so I asked a Japanese friend about it. Will report back as soon as I get an answer!

2 Likes

Ah, thanks a lot for your answer! It’s always good to check things that one has taken for granted and I’m not completely sure how to use と. I always thought you use quotation marks before と if it’s an direct quote and that と after an indirect quote doesn’t necessarily mean that you quote word-by-word. Thanks for asking your friend! :+1:

1 Like