シメジシミュレーション | Week 9 Discussion 🍄

Chapter 9: じっけん

Pages 101 - 110

Start Date: 21st November
Last Week: Chapter 8
Next Week: Chapter 10 - coming 28th November

シメジシミュレーション Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along :mushroom:
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

Not sure if anything good comes of building complicated machinery that came to you in a dream. Also, some continuity!

Page 102, does Shimeji not like carbonated drinks?

So, uh. About that ending. … What?

3 Likes

Glad they haven’t turned down the weird! Page 102 I read シュワシュワ as “bubbliness (of a carbonated drink); sound of bubbles (of a carbonated drink)”. She looks displeased so I’m guessing your interpretation is correct.

I liked the panel before where the drink is called “Coka” and the sound effect of the clanking is “カコ”. :slight_smile:

Just had one question - page 107 - いやなら無理しなくていいんだぞ。 In jisho I found that 無理をする means “to work too hard; to try too hard; to force oneself​”. So I think this sentence is saying - If you don’t like it, it’s ok not to force yourself (to take it).

3 Likes

Heh, I didn’t even notice the sound effect (though I did noitce the label on the cans).

Aye, that’s precisely it.

I did a translation of an Asadora, and I swear 無理する and various conjugations of it were the most commonly-spoken word…

2 Likes

まじめ:はー
お姉さん:天ぷらにたとえると魚が卵でさっきの薬が小麦粉ってとこだ
まじめ:えー 私たち天ぷらになっちゃうんですかー
お姉さん:ちがう

9 Likes

Thanks for writing this one down, totally failed to interpret that 薬
I am still having trouble figuring what the sentence means though… maybe because I’m not very familiar with tempura

天ぷらにたとえると => if I were to make a comparison to tempura
魚が卵で => the fish (I guess she means the ghost fish) are like egg (the egg in tempura?)
さっきの薬が小麦粉 => that medicine just now (they one they took a few panels ago), are like wheat flour (in tempura?)

So… is tempura normally made by combining eggs and wheat flour? is that for the batter you use to fry the fish/vegetables in tempura?

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Yep.

Please don’t ask me what the metaphor means, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Awesome chapter, laughed at loud with Majime’s priorities… also, what has shimeji’s sister done :anguished:

One question though:
Page 103:
人を病気みたいに言うんじゃない、病気とは言ってないけど。。。病気かどうかを決めるのは世界だ。

“I’m not saying that people are like a disease, not like that… but (I’ll make a world?) where the world decides whether you are a disease or not” Is this what she’s saying? Quite confused with this one.

First sentence it’s just a straight “don’t say”.

The 病気とは言ってないけど。。。 in the middle is Shimeji.

Third sentence, the world already decides.

3 Likes

Once again, thanks!! I always confuse who’s talking when it’s not directly shown, ugh, I guess it’s just a matter of reading more and gaining confidence with the language.

1 Like

Page 106

Why is Majime referring to the fish as 子たち? Like, are they baby fish? Sometimes I don’t know if it’s just being quirky or if I’m misunderstanding something.

Page 112

Is it 名前は魂のようなものらしい? And if so, why とは instead of は? Is it this use: “indicates word or phrase being defined”?

3 Likes

I’ve seen 子たち used for various animals, even the adult ones.

2 Likes

p105: I never noticed how much Majime’s eyes looked like fried eggs until this page…

目玉焼き

10 Likes

@Mods - hello! I ran into an issue with the OP of this thread where I can’t edit the post at all. It throws an error where it thinks I am trying to edit the poll in the post, even though I’m not.

From seanblue’s discussions with the Discourse team, it looks like the issue might be resolvable if an admin could run ‘Rebuild HTML’ on the post:

Is there any chance you could do this for me? I really want to get rid of that “Chapter 10 coming 28th November” line :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It looks like even with the Rebuild HTML function used the bug still persists, I still cannot edit it as well, I’m sad to report.

3 Likes

:sob: thank you for trying :purple_heart:

1 Like