hakase

Start Date: Nov 21th
Previous Part: Week 9
Next Part: Week 11

Reading:

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page End Percentage Page Count
Week 10 Nov 21th [End Chapter 5] 151 51% 17

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Finishing the reading on a chapter end feels good every time! :slight_smile:

I enjoyed the description of the stadium atmosphere and everyone’s reaction to it and the people there. Especially that die-hard fan at the wire fencing! Kind hearted おじさん on their right was super cute, as was the girl selling food!

I did not enjoy all the baseball terminology as much, haha.

4 Likes

Hehe :slight_smile: I have not yet read this week’s, but already last week I decided to sit down and read the Wikipedia page about baseball, so that I might maybe get an idea of how this game works after all…

2 Likes

Ah, I read this chapter in one sitting, so perhaps the bulk of it is over for you? It seemed pretty consistent throughout though. :smile:

I have no aspirations of understanding the game, so my process went, look up the new word, don’t understand the game, move on. Do tell if you manage to understand it! :joy:

1 Like

Great section. There was drama, but nothing too stressful. The perfect read for the times we’re living in.

For a split fraction of a second I thought maybe, just maaaayyyybbeeee, the foul ball was going to hit 博士 in the head and give him is memory back.

2 Likes

There was a lot of baseball in this week’s reading, which I mostly skipped as I don’t even know the rules nor the technical terms.

2 Likes

Too early for a happy end :wink:

1 Like

Yay! I finally finished chapter 5! That was so hard. Math, I can handle, but baseball is a different story! I did love the discriptiobs of 亀山のbiggest fan. Anyone who makes 博士 look normal is a great guy.

5 Likes

After serious baseball talk started early in chapter 5, I took a break from Hakase to read the Wikipedia page on how baseball works and stuff. (In German, mind you! :joy_cat:)

Living in a practically baseball-free country does not really help with the understanding of the book :sweat_smile:. The wikipedia page made a lot of the special terms much clearer for me.

7 Likes