本好きの下剋上: Volume 2, Week 4 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 14

Start Date: November 14th
Previous week: Week 13
Next week: Week 15

Reading:

Chapters 7-9 (紙作り開始, 痛恨のミス, ルッツのマイン) (40 pages/ 12%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

The story continues to advance.

Summary

I don’t have much to say except for the last chapter where the emotion was strong. I read the two last chapters in one go because I could not stop. Normally I don’t read that much but I was too into it. Really liked that scene. The ship is still sailing.
I am wondering if it is possible to mass-produce trombe in a controlled environment. Since it’s the best for paper.

6 Likes
Summary

It’s probably my favorite chapter in book 2 as well.

That was also my ship at the moment. (Sadly I cannot say if it’s still the case, or anything about my current ships)

Right, I remember thinking about that too. What about just putting up a flower bed or something in the middle of city and making it grow there. There’s nowhere for the tree to escape too, so it will eventually stop growing. At the same time, trombe obviously eats up all the nutrient locally, so you’ll need a way to make the next one grow in the same spot.

5 Likes
Summary

I was thinking of collecting these things that Mayne got that made trombe pop up, then cut them just enough to let them grow back until you get tired. You can have a rotation for the cutting part. You can not let it grow though so I am more for cutting it slowly then finish it then make a plantation. Trombe are scary invasive plants. I don’t know all the power they have but if they are as strong as they seem they could destroy the well of dry them and maybe damage the town and absorb all nutrient in the ground so no farming around. Which is why I prefer my solution.

1 Like
Summary

Cutting it slowly is not a thing. It will eat everything in range. That’s why you need to control what is in range. (Or more specifically limit the range).

… What well? :thinking:

But your solution is the one that will absorb all the nutrients in the ground :sweat_smile:
If you put the trombe in just a little bit of ground on a solid rock bed, it won’t have access to anything beyond that.

So trombe farming is basically fracking but for trees, right? Not exactly the kind of innovation I was hoping Mayne to bring with her to the new world…

5 Likes

Double posting! This week’s chunk was great. I saw a little bit of people being excited about the last chapter and it lived up to the hype. Excited to see what happens next chapter (just based on the title I’m expecting some good moments).

7 Likes