Volume 4 (Original Ed.): フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 🧺

Join the Beginner Book Club here!

フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket :green_apple: :grapes: :peach: :cherries: :pear: :tangerine: :basket: Home Thread

Welcome to Volume 4 (Original Edition) of フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket :green_apple: :grapes: :peach: :cherries: :pear: :tangerine: :basket:

Start Date: November 14th, 2020
Previous: Volume 3
Next: Volume 5

Reading Schedule

Start Date Chapter Pages (Original) Pages (Collector’s) Page Count
Nov 14th Chapter 19 6 - 38 (v4) 192 - 224 (v2) 33
Nov 21st Chapter 20 39 - 68 (v4) 225 - 254 (v2) 30
Nov 28th Chapter 21 69 - 98 (v4) 255 - 284 (v2) 30
Dec 5th Chapter 22 99 - 128 (v4) 285 - 314 (v2) 30
Dec 12th Chapter 23 129 - 160 (v4) 315 - 346 (v2) 32
Dec 19th Chapter 24 161 - 190 (v4) 347 - 376 (v2) 30

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Members

Are you planning to read フルーツバスケット Vol. 4 with us?

• Yes :rice_ball:
  • Nope

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion, please select ‘yes’!

3 Likes

Hello everybody! I hope y’all are still on board as we set out to read Volume 4.

Here is Chapter 19:

Reading

Nov 14th Chapter 19 6 - 38 (v4) 192 - 224 (v2) 33

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

1 Like

Chapter 20 is right around the corner :slight_smile:

Reading

Nov 21st Chapter 20 39 - 68 (v4) 225 - 254 (v2) 30

Participants

• I’m reading along

0 voters

BTW, @Abstormal how are you doing? Have we lost you? … :scream:

2 Likes

Only temporary. Life =P
I am a bit behind, but I WILL catch back up! :heart:

2 Likes

Another chapter that was on the easier side of things. I’m not sure if it is one sentence or more, but I need help with this on page 61:

傷をつける人間もいればその傷を 包み込んでくれる存在も確かにいる事 それは少なからず勇気をくれる

I tried to break it down but I just can’t wrap my head around it at all. All I think I get is the beginning “There are people who hurt you” and the last part, “it gives a considerable amount of courage”. But the rest is above me. Especially no idea what to make of the middle part with 包み込んで = to wrap up

Welcome to Chapter 21!

Reading

Nov 28th Chapter 21 69 - 98 (v4) 255 - 284 (v2) 30

Participants

• I’m reading along

0 voters

@Kappa420 Sorry that I did not answer yet; I will start catching up this week only, and I dared not answer your intricate question without context knowledge :sweat_smile: Will get back to you once I know more.

1 Like

OK I caught up to that page :sweat_smile:
(Just for the record, I think it’s page 62)

First of all, I think it’s two sentences, the first one ends after 事. Let me try a breakdown:

傷をつける人間もいれば - even when there are people who inflict wounds
その傷を 包み込んでくれる存在も確かにいる事 - there really are beings who dress up those wounds, too

それは少なからず勇気をくれる - that provides no small amount of courage (to the wounded person)

Erm, well, that was not much of a breakdown, sorry! :grin: I thought you might get enough out of the full translation to figure out the individual bits. If you are struggling with anything in particular, please ask again.

1 Like

Thanks! The translations cleared it up a lot and I can see better how the pieces fall together now, though it’s still somewhat elusive. It’s a good sentence to save and have a look at again in several months to see if it’s easier to grasp then. :grin:

The ず at the end of 少なから is making it negative, right? I often miss that. Oops. It’s part of the word in this case.

Btw, I was curious and checked how the MD fan translation would translate it and I was very surprised lol. It’s something completely different: “Those who hurt others will also hurt themselves… The Pain between them will exist forever. A lot of courage is needed to forget the pain”

1 Like

It has its own Jisho entry: 少なからず - Jisho.org

Whoa, that totally makes no sense at all to me for this sentence :crazy_face:
Plus, I checked back with a much more knowledgeable person than I am, and they were equally confused about that translation (and basically agreed with mine, yay!) so :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Welcome to Chapter 22! We’ve now officially crossed the 50% mark :tada:

Reading

Dec 5th Chapter 22 99 - 128 (v4) 285 - 314 (v2) 30

Participants

• I’m reading along

0 voters

We’re getting close to the end now :upside_down_face: Welcome to Chapter 23!

Reading

Dec 12th Chapter 23 129 - 160 (v4) 315 - 346 (v2) 32

Participants

• I’m reading along

0 voters

1 Like

While I’m at it: Volume 5 is getting closer :astonished:

That means it’s time to decide when we are going to continue our reading journey:

• Start without break (i.e. start on Dec 26th)
  • Start with a 1-week break (i.e. start on Jan 2nd)
  • Start with a 2-week break (i.e. start on Jan 9th)
  • Start with a 4-week break (i.e. start on Jan 23rd)
  • Start at some other point (please explain)

0 voters

(If you don’t care when we start, then please select all options.)

2 Likes

This is our last week for this volume! In other words, welcome to Chapter 24!

Reading

Dec 19th Chapter 24 161 - 190 (v4) 347 - 376 (v2) 30

Participants

• I’m reading along

0 voters

Seems we have lost a few of our members along the way? Are you still on board, @catbus @kmurgs @beckswithspecks and @Abstormal, and would you like to continue to read the next volume with us? If you need a bit of a break, please vote accordingly for the start of the next volume (in the post above this one). Thanks and keep cracking :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I’m still planning on catching up!
But know I will not have time this week, thats for sure! Might find time to read between Christmas and New Years, but have a bit to catch up =P
WHen I have a good day it goes fast though.
I’m fine with whichever the active people pick, I will catch up either way!

2 Likes

Oops, I totally forgot to check back on the poll and to keep you posted :dizzy_face:

As Toyger said they are fine with whatever starting point we choose, and as the other voters are fine with a one week break, I herewith declare the starting point of Volume 5 to be next week (January 2nd)!

I will set up a home thread for the new volume later tonight so that we all can already get in the mood.
Until then, see you next year!

2 Likes

I really like the backstory of Tohru, her mother and her two friends and how they came together. I can’t really describe why, but it’s nicely done and one of the most interesting parts of the manga for me usually. I glad we got a glimpse of it in this chapter.

On a side note, it feels like I’m having less troubles with reading the manga. Or maybe I’ve just gotten better at ignoring the stuff I don’t get and moving on.
I sometimes feel a bit bad because the thread’s so quiet and I don’t really have any questions to liven up things a bit. I’m not really sure why. I guess I just want to read more rather than analyze sentences…? Especially for material where it’s easier to grasp at least the gist of enough sentences to be able to follow… (I’m curious how Konbini Woman works out for me)
But it’s nice just to know that there are some others who are still reading a long with you.

2 Likes

Yes, it is a nice setting. In vol. 1 I was super confused by all the girls in school, but by now we know more about them and they develop their own characters and personality.

Haha, same here! I think I also got better at ignoring stuff :wink: Especially when they are shouting and cursing at each other. (I must say I was really happy about that one chapter where they visited the family’s onsen place and where the lady was shouting and cursing in keigo! That was really amazing - finally I could understand somebody who was shouting :joy_cat: )

Yep, same here. Also, I’m reading mostly out of sync with the book club weeks because it works better for me that way (with my many bookclubs) - so I am either lagging behind or I have already mostly forgotten what the chapter was about… I know that is not very social of me, but that’s how it is at the moment…

Yay, welcome to reading! :tada:
No, seriously, I think this is about the only way to make good progress in reading because you can gain more speed, which will allow you to read more, which will help you gain speed :wink: I’m not saying you should ignore everything you don’t understand, but maybe pick your battles wisely? Something like that.

I’m pretty sure you will be fine. I’m rooting for you :muscle:
The beginning will be rough, I think, but after two or three weeks you should be able to read along just fine. And there are enough people still around in the old threads to answer questions!

Same!

3 Likes

Yeah, so true. In the time it would take me to dissect one sentence I don’t get (and maybe don’t even have to, because it doesn’t contribute anything important to the story) I could have read a couple of more sentences… perhaps with similar grammar or the vocab used in a similar way that makes more sense at the time. I usually plug sentences I need some help with into ichi.moe which helps a great deal.

Haha yeah, I think they also just fight a bit less. As Hanajima (I think it was her) stated, they’re a bit more calm and collected from having Tohru around. :thinking:

1 Like