アオハライド book club - Volume 6 (October 2020)

Now that October has begun in all parts of the world, so to begins volume 6. (So why did I accidentally buy volume 7 instead? Well, I’m now prepared for November.)

アオハライド 6

Discussion

Home Thread
Volume 5
Volume 7

Spoilers

You know the drill.

3 Likes

Pᴀɢᴇ.20: Arrival of the Interloper

I didn’t really think much about Kou’s phone-mate (even though Futaba obsessed over it a bit). But here we are. Another new character.

Is she a classmate from when Kou lived with his mother? A cousin? The バイト at the vet Kou takes his cat to? Will she stick around, or is she just in town for a short visit?

2 Likes

I’m completely lost on what Kominato’s saying to Kou on page 10.

08_846869_846647_1_010_001x

Any hints? I think I’ve got all the words, but I can’t piece them together. I’m guessing あのコ refers to Futaba (not to Kou’s guest). I’m so close to downloading the volume 6 English version preview in hope that it includes this page…

1 Like

I am a whole volume behind, so I know nothing about the context, but I get the impression that he’s saying that spoiling her wouldn’t be good for her?

1 Like

That’s the gist I got out of it, so I’m glad I managed that much. I’m not used to seeing a sentence end in じゃ (that I can recall), so that’s throwing me off a bit. Then not knowing if the なんねん is what a J-to-E dictionary says (“how many years”, “how long”) or if it’s something else entirely.

1 Like

Being the informal form of では it is a conjunction and forms a conditional. If you spoil her, then…

I believe this is ならない + んだ

1 Like

That’s something I need to remember. It’s one of those things where I kind of know it if it’s used in a sentence in a way I’ve seen before, but when it’s used in a way I’m not used to, I get completely lost.

I’ll review the panel with this and see how it works out for me. I do know there are some letters that change in speech in this manga, but I forget how it goes until I see it.

Much thanks!

1 Like

What’s-her-name’s just trying to mess with me now.

Panel from Page 34

I can type あせらす and have it convert into 焦らす no problem. However…

Screenshot_20201002_191303

Hm…

Screenshot_20201002_191444

Hm… … …

Screenshot_20201002_191640

Well, I’ll buy that.

I’m beginning to wonder if everyone in this manga is actually speaking with a minor dialect, and I just never noticed…

2 Likes

Pᴀɢᴇ.21

Looks like things are finally moving ahead. (But let’s not forget the side characters along the way.)

2 Likes

All caught up! (finished Page.20)
I am a bit nervous about what’s going to happen at this concert

3 Likes

I can feel the progress I’ve made in my (manga) reading ability as I didn’t pause for a second in understanding this dialogue from early in Pᴀɢᴇ.21:

08_846869_846647_1_063_001x

1 Like

Pᴀɢᴇ.22

The end of Pᴀɢᴇ.21 is where it gets boring for me, but I’ll push through the boring parts!

2 Likes

Gah! Kou is being so stupid!

2 Likes

What is he, a teenager or something?

2 Likes

I so understand what Futaba is feeling, he’s being confusing! Silly teenagers

1 Like

Pᴀɢᴇ.23

I feel like this chapter cover goes against everything that just happened. I mean, they’re not holding hands or anything, but still.

2 Likes

The story continues in volume 7:

2 Likes