[Chrome Extension] Yet another WaniKani Notifier (API v2)

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

As the title suggests, the notifier I was using stopped working when WK moved to API v2, so I built a new one. Was it necessary? Certainly not. Did I have fun building it? Sure, let’s say it was fun. Does it make the world a better place? That’s not for me to say.

If you too are looking for a convenient way to always be reminded of that heap of reviews you’re postponing while doing literally anything else on the internet, this is the extension for you!

FEATURES:
Notifies you when your reviews are due. There’s not much else to it.

• A badge shows how many reviews are due.
  • Click on the extension to open a pop-up with links to your lessons and reviews.

Screenshot from 2020-09-12 22-57-06

Jokes aside, I made this basically because 1) I needed it and 2) I had a free weekend (luxury, I know).
I wasn’t sure whether to post it here or not since there are already plenty of these things, but here you go. Hope someone finds it useful!

P.S. This was my first time writing a Chrome extension AND my first time posting something here.
Too many firsts, I'm a bit overwhelmed!

UPDATE 02/02/2021 - Version 1.1.1 now LIVE

Due to the overwhelming demand (1 suggestion by 1 user) I've released an update to the extension that let's you enable lesson notifications as well.

NEW in version 1.1.1

You can now find a tickbox in the settings page to get politely reminded of your lessons as well.
The box is unticked by deafult, so if you don’t need the constant reminder there’s no change for you.

If you like the pressure however, you can go and tick the box.

You’ll get a badge with your lessons count ONLY if you’re done with your reviews.

Screenshot from 2021-02-02 18-23-28
Screenshot from 2021-02-02 18-24-16

NEW in version 2.0.1 - Released June 2022

Reworked to be compliant with Chrome extensions manifest V3.

As a consequence of the above, I had to change timers to alarms, which limit API calls to one per minute (fine most of the time, mildly annoying while in the middle of reviews).

Added support for vacation mode in the settings (hide your reviews count and stops API calls while on vacation). Note that this is independent from the WK setting - you’ll have to update both!

10 Likes

Was “YAWN” deliberate? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

:exploding_head:

3 Likes

Neat

3 Likes

this works great, thank you!

1 Like

Works flawlessly, thank you so much! So glad to have this back. The icon is much nicer too, and I love the embedded menu to instantly head to reviews or lessons. Well designed extension. I left a positive review for it. Thanks again!

1 Like

みなさんこんばんは!
Quick announcement to say I just released a small update with extra functionality.
All details in the :top: post

1 Like

Just wanted to say, I love this addon! Always nice to have my current WaniKani count in the top right corner of my browser. Thanks!

1 Like