sei_oniisan
Start Date: September 5th
Previous Part: Week 3

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Pages (physical) Pages (ebook) Page Count
Week 4 September 5th Chapter 7 + 8 99 - 134 101 - 135 32

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

2 Likes

Well, that was a thing that happened. First week didn’t convinced me I was interested by that book, so I just read the whole thing in one sitting and then promptly forgot about it. For that reason, I did not read much of the threads, but I feel others were similarly meh about it.
It might be because I “binged” it in a way, but the religious joke got old quite quickly. I’m lucky (?) to have a cultural background in both Buddhism and Christianism, so I think I got a majority of the jokes effortlessly, but it was never that funny. It ranged from a snicker to no reaction on my part.
Still, I’ve seen references to that series in real life, so that’s one more piece of pop culture I will not be lacking anymore, so there’s that.

6 Likes

Done. Won’t continue with other books in this series. I know its influential and many people like the humor but like you sad @Naphthalene the jokes got somehow old pretty fast. The vocabulary is obscure especially for me who has no idea about buddhism; and then I don’t get half of the jokes. Whats up with the 3 faces of buddah? something to do with asura?
Additionally this was my first digital Manga and I have to say Manga on paper are just SOOO much better.
I don’t mind reading a novel digitally, it’s sometimes even convinient, but with Manga its just meh…

Favorite: Amusement Park.
Least favorite: Hobby chapter with the Landlady.

But I have to say buddah is a fucking badass dislocating his shoulder to obtain a DS Light XD…

3 Likes

Why on Earth do they put little jokes on the characters’ t-shirts, but then have the characters sit with their backs to the camera in most panels?

Heh. On page 126, I was going “it was explicitly referred to as a Nintendo DS earlier, so why have they gone all Bland Name now and written “DS Light” on the bag instead of “DS Lite”?” Then I read the last page.

仏の顔も三度 = even the patience of a saint has limits.

3 Likes

Overall, I thought it was a great concept, but a lot of work for what I got out of it. Maybe a few years from now when this is something I can read with less effort in an afternoon I’ll like it more.

I agree with @downtimes: the digital version was a little rough. I like the e-books because it’s got the integrated dictionary, but it doesn’t work for manga apparently. If we do another manga I’ll probably buy the paper copy.

3 Likes